This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Participating in the Unreal Tournament Vehicle Design Discussion

This is the place to discuss design ideas for Unreal Tournament vehicles. While we’re initially focusing on designing and implementing the core on-foot game types, we also recognize that vehicles, vehicle-CTF and Onslaught/Warfare are an important part of Unreal Tournament. If you aren’t interested in vehicles, don’t worry: the existence of gametypes with vehicles won’t impact the gametypes you love.

Here are some ways to contribute:
    • Discuss the design of your favorite UT vehicles and how they should be updated.
    • Propose new vehicle designs.
    • **PROTOTYPE!** Learn to make vehicles, experiment with refining vehicle physics and control, once Unreal Engine version 4.2 is released with improved support for vehicles. This will be extremely valuable!

I know alot of people who will be happy with this, they wouldnt play DM or CTF because they find them boring, not that I do personally but everyone has their click. I dont think many people appreciated the full extent of the original UT, it had Assault mode before any of those war shooters, including CS, were even made and it wasnt focused around an arena. One of the biggest reasons for me liking UT so much over Quake 3 is that it wasnt just an arena shooter, it was more, it was a universe that was defined with the original Unreal and expanded upon with UT.

If I were to suggest something its probably not to bring back the Necris vehicles from UT3 in an Onslaught/Warfare capacity, I think they would be much better suited to Assault scenarios which tell this story of the tricasts and ronin or whatever it is exactly. I would certainly like to see more Liandri robotics vehicles and some more story behind Axon and their relationship to Liandri, I think an exoskeleton like GoW3 might be the go too maybe make it like a Juggernaut powerup like Hero mode in UT3.

I know this is UT and not Battlefield or Titanfall but there is no reason not to draw inspiration from more modern games, it doesnt mean youre copying or the end result will end up as a clone. Modes like Conquest are extremely popular because of the length of the matches and the over arcing match strategy that involves a large number of players which UT servers dont typically allow.
    Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Thank You Steve Polge and Epic!

The very first thing I want to say is that the Manta in 2k4 was the BEST vehicle I have ever had the pleasure of trying in any game ever. I never had so much fun using a vehicle in a game and I'm pretty sure I am not the only one who will say that. There were some changes to the Manta in UT3 and I wont knock it too hard here but it just did not have the same feel or enjoyment. I just hope we can get back a similar feeling Manta in UT4..
      DANG YOU UT2K4 KIDS! GET OFF MY LAWN!

Comment

If you aren’t interested in vehicles, don’t worry: the existence of gametypes with vehicles won’t impact the gametypes you love.
        Please explain?
        Its awesome to hear ut will have vehicles though.
        Do you mean you let mappers decide to add vehicles or not or...?

Comment

I preferred the feel of the UT 2004 vehicles. I despised the UT3 vehicle that turned invisible and laid out the invisible mine pod; it seemed like a joke to have had included in the game. I also disliked the lack of first-person view in the UT3 flying vehicles. I very much prefer the UT 2004 Hellbender over the UT3 version.

However, as a practical matter, judging from what happened on the UT 2004 Omnip)o(tents Onslaught server (the most populated and successful ONS server), modders are going to end up creating custom vehicles and mappers will put them in their maps. I guess UT4 should have a couple base vehicles and let modders take it from there.
          UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper View Post
            I preferred the feel of the UT 2004 vehicles. I despised the UT3 vehicle that turned invisible and laid out the invisible mine pod; it seemed like a joke to have had included in the game. I also disliked the lack of first-person view in the UT3 flying vehicles. I very much prefer the UT 2004 Hellbender over the UT3 version.

However, as a practical matter, judging from what happened on the UT 2004 Omnip)o(tents Onslaught server (the most populated and successful ONS server), modders are going to end up creating custom vehicles and mappers will put them in their maps. I guess UT4 should have a couple base vehicles and let modders take it from there.
            Agreed. A raptor, bender, scorp and tank and we do the rest probaly^^

Comment

Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper View Post
              I guess UT4 should have a couple base vehicles and let modders take it from there.
              I agree with this and the base vehicles Epic created with 2k4: Manta, Bender, Raptor, Scorpion, and Goliath, would be fine. Since it was allowed for content from previous UT games to be used in the current one I would expect that would be the same with UT4 and it would be only a matter of time before all the other vehicles made it into UT4.

I think the addition of the Necris vehicles made vehicle games a bit overwhelming to the newcomer because they were so many to learn how to use and combat against.

Comment

The insect themed Necris vehicles in UT3 were stylish, fun, and gave the game a great sense of variety. I loved to hate the Nightshade... and that contributed to the overall fun for me. I would love to see another set of alternate vehicles... including some that I hate.

Comment

oh great, PacerX is here..

Comment

The War of the Worlds (Deathwalker?) walking vehicle was pretty neat. I hope that will be part of UT4.
                    UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

this is the best news since UT, i'm no good at DM but i do enjoy vehicles
                      UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UE4
                      ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials

Comment

I actually loved the vehicles from UT3.
                        And I would love to see new concepts rather than every vehicle being the classic one.

Comment

Originally posted by PacerX View Post
                          The insect themed Necris vehicles in UT3 were stylish, fun, and gave the game a great sense of variety. I loved to hate the Nightshade... and that contributed to the overall fun for me. I would love to see another set of alternate vehicles... including some that I hate.
                          Sooo right! I also loved to be annoyed by the Nightshade or revenge annoy others back myself with it!

The StealthBender was even better strategically and both make a great new position in competitive clan war vCTF that isn't so "elitist" but still strategically important and fun: vehicular midfield support
                          Best of all imo: the super agile Viper with its wallride possibilities and jumps... hmm, or the Leviathan, what a hell of a mobile fortress!
                          Can't even decide, I like UT3 vehicles especially the Necris ones so much that I fear, if they dont get taken all along to the new UT, I could become myself a UT fanatic that couldn't move on!

That's why I suggest to take every existing UT vehicle in a community discussed and improved manner along
                          and if still capacities and need for innovation are left, expand UT with 1 new vehicle fraction towards WATERWORLD!

I remember water maps in the first UT, it would be
                          • comeback of a classic UT element
                          • amazing grafical expansion
                          • amazing vehicle gameplay expansion

I imagine boats, submarines, jetskis, a scuba scooter hand device (hoverboard ersatz) and a mechanical huge kraken (sea leviathan)!
                          http://250kb.de/u/150227/p/qqYY9pJVAxBj.png
                          My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

The UT3 vehicles were quite the same as the vehicles from UT2004. The only problem most of the guys (who loved UT2004's vehicles) mention is the lack of features. I guess Epic would have done that and would have add that functionality back to UT3's vehicles if UT3 wasn't rushed for the released. The time schedule wasn't perfect for the complexity of UT3 *cough* Midway *cough*. (also i think that's one reason why Epic renamed the game so if they would had relased UT2007 in the year 2008, it wouldn't be a selling hit).

The vehicles from UT3 were perfect to me. A mapper could decide whether they are creating a map for Axon or Necris (or both together like WAR-Islander or VCTF-Corruption). The physics of the UT3 vehicles are better than the ones from UT2004 vehicles. If someone misses the features back from the days in UT2004, all these things can be modified. And that's what UT is all about. (PS: Didn't you, PacerX and sanch3z, created ONS2.0 for UT3 which behaves exactly like UT2004?).

If there would be a vote, i would always vote for the UT3 vehicles as they are fitting well into next-gen tech (Karma ... outdated).

-----------------------------------------------

It would be cool if not only the assets are available but also the finished models for Maya/3dsmax. I'm still working on my water framework for UT3 which features a complete set for all the Axon/Necris vehicles to be driven for, on and in water. I would love to create that set for UT4 as well. Here are some screenshots. It's still pre alpha and not every vehicle is created.

Spoiler

My framework features also editor-friendly options to setup each water map indiviually. There are also pickups to players for better support of underwater fights. There are also 2 special vehicles in that framework. Both uses external models. The BulletStorm's GyroCopter and the HL2's Airboat. The hoverboard is also switched. It will be a Scooter like vehicle.

Edit:
                            Lol TheoOriginal. You were faster.
                            That's one of my dreamed concept map. A WaterWorld like map for VCTF and also Warfare.

PS: No spoiler BBCode
                            PPS: I'm a coder not an artist or a designer.
                            Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 05-15-2014, 03:02 PM.
                            ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                            ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Nice, I'm looking forward for that release aswell!
                              http://250kb.de/u/150227/p/qqYY9pJVAxBj.png
                              My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

Working...
                              X