X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Basic vehicle attempt

Hey, guys!

Did that for just lulz...
    Actually was curious if that will work. Basically I was following this (very nice, easy to follow and pleasurable to listen to) tutorial video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPVaDndT7tY by Unain.

So, here's basic (hover)car that rides on four repulsors:

At the moment it lacks:
    - proper acceleration/deceleration
    - directional friction at pitch contact
    - proper inertia tensor
    - proper steering handling
    - various physics tweaks (like max falling speed etc)
    - sound and visual FX
    - possesion code
    - ...aaaand wheels maybe?

Anyway, I think it looks like do-able... Now, if only someone did a Torlan conversion... (at least basic terrain/skybox and external bounds)

P.S. currenly I'm looking for proper ways for getting player input and setting up external camera (it seems that with ViewTarget there's no control over cam distance?). Would like to hear some suggestions on that.
    Last edited by exo7341; 06-15-2018, 02:55 AM.
    - got sig? -

Hi!
    Nice job, man! Seems like a good start and now there's possibility to bring Onslaught (Warfare), vehicle assault and vCTF back into UT!
    And these lovely vehicle trials <3
    Keep up the good work!

Comment

Good luck, exo7341. Looking good so far. It's a massive project and you really need to get support by Epic/community. Back in the days, I also started such project but gave up due to concerns about the use and future support of that project (judging Github pull requests and non-weapon-model/non-map contributions to the game were handled).
      ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
      ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Nice start exo. I'm interested to see how this all progresses!
        Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

Some interesting vehicle videos that I found. I desided to post them here.

Comment

This is a great start! What really ****** me off is the fact that epic can't even be bother to put in some basic code like Driver enter code and seats just to get us started. The people who want to work vehicle for this game have our hands tied for the most part. Looks like you used a weapon to spawn a vehicle and then left click to enter camera/drive mode. Nice work around...yet its a shame it has to come to this!
            Running the Mega Hub for everyone to enjoy!

Comment

Hey, guys!

I'm glad you like it!

There's some things I'd like to point out:
              - first of all, please don't blame Epic What I did is just very simple stuff which is virtually useless for final game (technically and logically it's not even a vehicle - bots won't attack it for instance). It's important that you guys understand that making a _proper_ vehicle code interface (driver enter, network replication, weapon system, misc physics stuff and much more) still worth many month of work. And I'm just eager to experience some driving in current engine . And I hope this my work might be somehow useful for Epic later.

- here's how I assess vehicle implementation complexity:
              some flying thing (Raptor) **
              tank thing **
              hovercraft (Manta) ***
              slow wheeled stuff (no ramp jumps, no handbrake turns, no fish-tailing etc) *****
              fully driveable wheeled vehicle *****************

As you see, I think regular cars are most complex ones. Actually I'm planning to try other vehicles types before I return to cars (for example what shown in my vid already could work fine for a tank - just need another mesh and some turret code).

---
              @RattleSN4K3, I'm currently using player's acceleration vector to get input for a vehicle. I wonder if you have some better solution for that? (to be more concrete, I need a means to get forward/starfing values for weapon's owner)

Another question. Previously I've only worked with UT2004 vehicles, and know nothing (code-wise) about UT3 ones. Maybe you could explain shortly if there some fundamental differences? (for example I know UT2004's cars didn't have actual physical wheels - is it same with UT3's ones?)

@e1vp, nice stuff! I lol'ed upon cab detach in first video - it looks great!

BTW, I decided to use custom weapon (Flak Cannon turned into Truck Cannon) as workaround because it's convenient - that's how I could compile all vehicle stuff as a part of weapon sharing functionality.
              Last edited by exo7341; 12-01-2016, 01:04 AM.
              - got sig? -

Comment

Thats awesome dude!

Comment

For a early prototype it's already impressive. And I actually find that the weapon used as a tool for spawning and entering a vehicle might be interesting and open a lot of possible ideas for them.
                  Kind of like DBZ's capsules ?

Comment

Originally posted by exo7341 View Post
                    @RattleSN4K3, I'm currently using player's acceleration vector to get input for a vehicle. I wonder if you have some better solution for that? (to be more concrete, I need a means to get forward/starfing values for weapon's owner)
                    Any actor can receive input, raw and action. That's how UE4 is designed (actually really bad design IMHO). However, UT binds the Axis and actions customly in native code (likely to prevent exploitable hotkeys). A possible solution with the current code base would be using UTPlayerController's property "Movement Forward Axis" and "Movement Strafe Axis" in a Tick function. "Rise" might be problematic as it isn't mapped.

Another question. Previously I've only worked with UT2004 vehicles, and know nothing (code-wise) about UT3 ones. Maybe you could explain shortly if there some fundamental differences? (for example I know UT2004's cars didn't have actual physical wheels - is it same with UT3's ones?)
                    Fundamentally, there are changes. Conceptionally, even less. Framework wise, only some changes. Technically, it has been changed a lot. Not only due to the fact UT3 is using PhysX instead of Karma. Also UT3 had most of the code in native code (likely due to increase the performance for the consoles). Judging the two code base with just a single word, I would say UT2004 is pretty much the prototype, where UT3 seems to be the refactored code. UT2004's vehicle code was outsource (done by DigitialExtremes). UT3's vehicle code was purely done by Epic itself. The code classes are more structured and make a lot more sense.

But the codebase of both verions differ much. The major difference is the physics simulation. Where as UT2004 simulated the vehicle per class, meaning the Manta vehicle (its weapons, look etc.) will always be a hovering vehicle. However in UT3, the physics simulation is split into a simulated object calculating all major physics simulation and appliese these force to the (skeletal-)mesh. That's the different in SVehicle. Another difference is how vehicles got their weapons. In UT2004, were's were given by the vehicle implementation, however in UT3 it's the Seat which specifies the weapon. Such seats are also controlling all seat relevant features such as camera, driving, etc.

The vehicle implementation as of UE4.8 is similar to how UT3's vehicle were implemented, although less modular. That said, I really prefer the way UT3's vehicle were implemented over UT2004 (and UE4 v4.8 as vehicles were fored to be wheeled, not sure if it's still the case when using the PhysX backend). IIRC and like what you're portraying here, prototyping with Blueprint is very efficent and can be done rapidly. That's mostly what the native code in UT2004 and UT3 also does. More importantly if you go that route, you should get in contact with Epic whether such approach has any use for them. Otherwise, it's a waste of time for you.

With all that said, the initial prototype/plugin I did back in 2015 was based on UT3/UDK. You might want to take a look. I just updated the old plugin to work with the current editor build.
                    ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                    ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Thanks, Rattle! Your relpy is helpful, as always.

I don't think Epic will be so dependent on my work But I just want to try anyway (as UT2004 is getting dated _already_; and also I've never been really attracted by UT3).

I surely gave a look to your past work, most likely it would be full of useful things

---

As for input, I've already tried Movement Forward/Strafe Axis - they both were giving just zeroes
                      - got sig? -

Comment

But you're dependent on their work, other than modelers, concepters etc.. . You might want to think about it twice before starting such huge project. There are several tutorials and helpful threads out there (YT, UE forum etc.) but most of them aren't working well with UT. Even Epic's Youtube page features Tank tutorial which is very similar to the Goliath tank. IIRC Zak also created a hover compoenent which you can attach to any Actor. This is similar to how the Simulation object of UE3 works (UTVehicleSimHover/UTVehicleSimChopper).

As for input, I've already tried Movement Forward/Strafe Axis - they both were giving just zeroes
                        Ah. I see why, it only passes the value if the possessed Pawn is a UTCharacter.
                        Code:
                        void AUTPlayerController::MoveForward(float Value)
                        {
                        	if (Value != 0.0f && UTCharacter != NULL)
                        	{
                        		MovementForwardAxis = Value;
                        		UTCharacter->MoveForward(Value);
                        	}
                        	else if (GetSpectatorPawn() != NULL)
                        	{
                        		GetSpectatorPawn()->MoveForward(Value);
                        	}
                        }
                        And it is reverted to 0.0 after the input for the current Tick is processed. You're simply at a point where it is either to difficult to properly prototype or even impossible. What I can also suggest, try harder or move to C++. Both aren't a reasonable solution.

Comment

Impressive beginnings! Rock on

Comment

Love it! Keep up the good work

Comment

Hey, guys!

Actually I was going to try some flying vehicle, but couldn't resist, and added some wheels to truck first. They are basic - like truck itself, but still can rotate/steer (and susp travel is early wip still). Also I didn't looked into physics yet, so car is mostly hovercraft-with-wheels now (which makes it quite forgiving from handling standpoint). On another note, I've added some engine noise - for better speed representation (although "transmission" is rather single speed lol).

Here's some wheeling action:
                              - got sig? -

Comment

Working...
                              X