No announcement yet.

Basic vehicle attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off to play rocket league!! Cause Epic can't be bothered!
    Running the Mega Hub for everyone to enjoy!

Comment

Cool concept! There might be a problem with it's stability due to having three wheels, so it might be challenging if this vehicle is going to be fast/agile.

Comment

I think it's very impressive that you can code all that, impressive!

Comment

Anyone think this could be used for vehicles in UT?
          https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...ehicle-physics
          Looks like vehicles with custom physics and replication...
          XMP | THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by Megasporwic View Post
            Off to play rocket league!! Cause Epic can't be bothered!
            We call it Carball around these parts.
            UT2004 Movement Mutator

Comment

Originally posted by Saiboat View Post
              Anyone think this could be used for vehicles in UT?
              https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...ehicle-physics
              Looks like vehicles with custom physics and replication...
              That plugin looks really great (pre-made replication and collision based wheels instead of tracers is really nice)! But I'm sure when/if Epic will be ready for their own vehicles they would develop their own sub-system as well. Besides, this plugin only covers wheeled vehicles, whereas UT need other types too (tracked, hover and flying).
              - got sig? -

Comment

i'm sure Exo has seen these projects so the info is mainly for the other users
                https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...elling-Toolkit
                https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...nload-included
                https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-File-Included

MMT has the vehcile types we would need in UT but no player mesh or extra seats (that i know of)
                Custom physics vehicle is just a car (trailer) with character mesh but stuck with the basic maniquin not active swap to player mesh
                GTA style , just a car can't remember if it had a player mesh

all 3 projects are free
                UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UE4
                ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials

Comment

Recent meowcatbuf 's ut2k4 moves inspired me to make some more stuff for that project...

I think, that way I feel a little bit more at home now:
                  Last edited by exo7341; 01-19-2018, 12:06 AM.
                  - got sig? -

Comment

If you make the vehicle "Default Character" parent, you can insert it into the UTGameMode as pawn class and control it. This shows it works fine with this parent. You can then use the posses command to control it on a certain key. If you use posses, it deletes the character and spawns the controller inside the vehicle. This way your character doesn't need to be fixed at one spot. Of yourse you need to program your own controls for the car then.

https://youtu.be/RwtCfMMMt7M?t=8m57s
                    Last edited by n0niz; 01-17-2018, 07:08 AM.
                    Projects: UT4BombingRun | UTCC wiki

Comment

n0niz yeah, I think I even saw your screenshot with a vehicle on Discord... I might try this as my next step.

Maxx, before it would be possible I need to sort out things with at least one vehicle first But yeah, it would be nice to try old stuff with a new engine
                      - got sig? -

Comment

so i played a bit arround got it working with the basic pawn class. This means you can use any child class of a pawn including wheeled vehicle, default character etc. using the possess command
                        just make sure you do it on the server and in the character class.
                        unpossesing works the same way in the vehicle class then
                        the external camera takes place in the collision component you add to the pawn or a camera component
                        i haven't figured out nice controls and nice unpossesing yet, but thats just a matter of time, then i make a good tutorial video for it
                        before you test play, make sure to hit "Save All". Editor likes to crash on this stuff and some changes require the saving to occur

Last edited by n0niz; 03-21-2018, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Alright, I think I need to clarify some things about that my proto.
                          First of all (and unfortunately) it had no future as a game-worthy asset from the very beginning. It's strictly a physics prototype (and I must say, rather lame one). Thus, in its current form, it's not worth further improvements/development etc.
                          However I'd just love to see _proper_ vehicle work being done (like, by someone who's actually knows his stuff).

With that said, here's my list of things to explore:

( of course, vehicles could and should be made as a possessable characters like demonstarted by n0niz; it's the only way for them to blend into game api )

now...

1) obtaining controller inputs like throttle/braking/turning (including AI). can you do this directly, or it's handled by movement component? I'm not sure yet. My particular solution used KeyDown checks for that.

2) what about replication? does it work properly right away when the vehicle is based off Character?

3) also, physics of vehicle-to-player interaction (running over, crushing, pushing - should there be a no-collision rule for team-mates)? Pushing potentially might be troublesome for replication. However I'm not to strong in that area.

4) AI support (as I'm personally not too interested in UT vehicles without bot fun). AFAIK UT4 bots do their actions with C++ only (i.e. not running any Behaviour Trees). What's more, I doubt there's even basic vehicle support in them (i.e. they're not ready to drive/pilot them, nor attack them). So in order to have bot support we might need temporal vehicle controllers pretending it's actually a bots driving (thus we could hook up any AI vehicular logic needed via BPs). Also, as UE4 doesn't uses PathNodes anymore, some custom solution needed for flying vehicles. And then, even surface based navigation is different now (NavMesh etc). It actually uses nav agents to calculate navigable space (slopes, walkway widths, ceiling heights etc). Currently UT4 only have player-sized one (I guess proper vehicle navigation would require corresponding vehicle-sized agents - which in turn might require additions to whole UT project).

p.s. here's how UT mentioned in UE4's EULA:
                          “Unreal Tournament Project” means the development project, established on May 8, 2014 and curated by Epic through the GitHub UnrealEngine Network, for the development of a new Unreal Tournament video game.
                          man, it's already 4+ years...
                          - got sig? -

Comment

Some one over at Epic just need to finish the **** Code already! It was started, I saw it on github 2 years ago. This whole project has become a joke! The community has put so much into this....we just want a little back!
                            Running the Mega Hub for everyone to enjoy!

Comment

It is in the editor already as mesh. Next step is making it a blueprint and code the config, physics and controls. Thats it then. If you wanna make onslaught, hit me up on discord and i can help you. Its quite easy, just takes time. I can some vehicles then, but it makes no sense to make vehicles if we have no gamemode for it. I'm not making it for randomly drive arround

Comment

So, I've decided to try another approach. This time vehicle is setup using just physics - a body with four constrained wheels (i.e. no raycast tracing or Tick force application like before).

Further, it's based off Pawn class (i.e. could be normally possessed by a Controller), and alsoBots have no problems treating it as an enemy (vehicle needs UT's team interface implemented for that). Also, it could be controlled via Controller's InputVector value (however Pawn doesn't have it implemented) - which potentially could lead to AI's ability to drive them (yes, AI could already control Character based classes via MovementComponents, but imo it's a good question how this will work if Character has a physics simulating skel mesh).

It seems some physics related stuff wasn't finished in 4.15, so I wasn't able to setup spring damping for instance (which is works just fine in 4.19).

Last edited by exo7341; 06-15-2018, 10:42 AM.
                                - got sig? -

Comment

Working...
                                X