No announcement yet.

Basic vehicle attempt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some one over at Epic just need to finish the **** Code already! It was started, I saw it on github 2 years ago. This whole project has become a joke! The community has put so much into this....we just want a little back!
    Running the Mega Hub for everyone to enjoy!

Comment

Thanks for clarifying exo7341. It's still exciting.
      http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/a...psriplu1m9.png

Comment

n0niz, is that the Cicada from UT3 or did you make a new one?

Comment

It is in the editor already as mesh. Next step is making it a blueprint and code the config, physics and controls. Thats it then. If you wanna make onslaught, hit me up on discord and i can help you. Its quite easy, just takes time. I can some vehicles then, but it makes no sense to make vehicles if we have no gamemode for it. I'm not making it for randomly drive arround
          Projects: UT4BombingRun | UTCC wiki

Comment

So, I've decided to try another approach. This time vehicle is setup using just physics - a body with four constrained wheels (i.e. no raycast tracing or Tick force application like before).

Further, it's based off Pawn class (i.e. could be normally possessed by a Controller), and alsoBots have no problems treating it as an enemy (vehicle needs UT's team interface implemented for that). Also, it could be controlled via Controller's InputVector value (however Pawn doesn't have it implemented) - which potentially could lead to AI's ability to drive them (yes, AI could already control Character based classes via MovementComponents, but imo it's a good question how this will work if Character has a physics simulating skel mesh).

It seems some physics related stuff wasn't finished in 4.15, so I wasn't able to setup spring damping for instance (which is works just fine in 4.19).

Last edited by exo7341; 06-15-2018, 10:42 AM.
            - got sig? -

Comment

That's really cool, it functions well minus the damping. Have you seen the shopping carts in Fortnite? They have the physics down really well and they have air control. If only they would transfer it to UT.
              Last edited by Calypto; 06-15-2018, 03:29 AM.
              UT2004 Movement Mutator

Comment

It is in the editor already as mesh. Next step is making it a blueprint and code the config, physics and controls. Thats it then. If you wanna make onslaught, hit me up on discord and i can help you. Its quite easy, just takes time. I can some vehicles then, but it makes no sense to make vehicles if we have no gamemode for it. I'm not making it for randomly drive arround
                Ah so that would be the UT3 Cicada.

I don't think I'm the one to make the Onslaught gamemode. I was just messing around with it while following your tutorials to try to learn. My knowledge of blueprints and scripting is VERY limited. However, if it would get the ball rolling I would be willing to give it a try. I'm sure others would be much more likely to achieve success though. I am willing to help in any way I can. I think the only thing I could really do though is some basic level design. Right now I'm trying to learn materials for landscapes so I can make some outdoor maps in anticipation of vehicles someday being in this game. I'm pretty good with the sculpting tools now but setting up proper landscape materials, even using pre-existing textures, is complicated for me.

Please don't underestimate the potential of vehicles in this game. Most of the arguments and anger and toxicity in these forums is about the nuances of DM style play (except netcode). There is so much talk about AFPS and how it fits in with today's gamer mentality. I think to a huge majority of people who like vehicle play none of that will matter. I don't really give AF about Rocket launcher splash damage or whether or not the Grenade launcher is in the game. DM and CTF type gamemodes in Unreal will only attract so many players. Vehicles have the potential to make this game into something so much more than a simple shooter. The possibilities are vast. It all starts with people like you and exo7341. I'm sure if someone gets working vehicles in this game the players will come out of the woodwork and things will explode and there will be no shortage of people to make gametypes and vehicles models and maps. It would be the biggest thing to happen since the game was started.

Comment

Please don't overestimate vehicles. They are not special or unique. They won't bring any big playerbase, maybe a few players. We don't even have a gamemode, like i said. Maybe i get it done, let's see. But it won't change anything

Comment

Aw man, what a bummer to read that. I was all excited when I saw that you relied, thinking maybe I had given you some encouragement and shown support but instead I seem to have fueled your negative outlook. You basically just said the opposite of what I said. It made me sad to read such a pessimistic comment from someone who has the ability to create something I'm sure I would love. I really do believe that vehicles have huge potential in this game. The market evidence is there and is clear. The possibilities for gameplay complexity and sustainability are obvious. Vehicle skins alone could bring in a lot of money.

I really, really appreciate your work but if you're not excited about this and don't see the potential then maybe you're not the one to get it done. Get excited. Please. See the potential. It is there.

Comment

that psychology xD i appreciate it and get your point. But it has nothing to do with negative or positive outlook. it's realistic. New maps, mutators, gamemodes etc were made. Epic is still quiet and players drop. Vehicles are nice i agree and would be a great addition, but won't change much. Let's see what comes
                      And yes skins alone can bring money, but we don't even have a implemented shop system neither does epic any work on it, except the hat shop.

Comment

Cool, thank you for the reply. Like I said I am willing to help with whatever I can but my knowledge is very limited.

Comment

Checking back in and seeing that Epic not only abandoned this game, but decided to nerf everything compared to the fast-paced UT2004, I have to ask: do we have the theoretical ability to take the existing engine and artwork, etc. and run our own independent community version of UT4 (call it UT4 Arcade Edition or somesuch) with the balance tweaked back to more "fun" settings? I'd love to see the wide open maps (anyone remember Panalesh?) along with vehicles, jumps, dodges, all the infinite ways you could combine these into doing something new and yet appropriate for the situation.

If Epic won't do it for us, is there a technical or legal reason we can't just make it happen with the current access we all have to the engine source?

Comment

yes sure, we have https://utcc.unrealpugs.com/content double jump mutator for example enables 2k4 dodge jump then pro weapon does faster weapon switch. The bad thing ist, this communityx doesn't like movement or weapon changes, there are many opinions of last playing which are often legacy players. What stays in the end is basic settings of UT4, cause we dont get a common sense on what is better, although we have the tools working already

Comment

Working...
                            X