Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] The UT Weapon subforum is now live!

The UT Weapon subforum should be used for discussions about the gameplay and design of weapons in Unreal Tournament.

Weapon design is a very broad reaching topic that is core to the overall UT experience. With heavy ties to both the core movement mechanics and level design, the discussions that we have in this forum are likely to have a strong overlap with other topics, so we want to keep this forum focused, specifically, on weapon mechanics and balance. Art-specific conversations should be directed to the art forums.

Our primary goal here is to establish a baseline of weapons and mechanics that best support UT gameplay. Obviously, everyone is going to have their favorites, and you’ll always be able to mod and create your own weapons – or updated versions of the official weapons – but before we get there, we’d love to hear your thoughts on what that “baseline” actually is! Please read these tips on how to be an effective design contributor:

http://forums.unrealengine.com/showt...nt-development

As always, we look forward to hearing from you!

- Jim Brown
    Last edited by Entropy; 05-13-2014, 09:24 AM.
    Jim Brown
    @EntropicDev
    Epic Games

Thanks, Jim. Impact hammer fist bump.
    I went by B0T0X in UT2k4, BoboTheBrave in UT3. If you remember me, send me a PM!

Remember? I was the one running backward with the flag!

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
      Please read these tips (link to sticky on how to contribute)
      link is missing <3
      edit: might've been referring to this post
      or maybe this one: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Get_Involved#Page
      Last edited by histortion; 05-12-2014, 10:16 PM.
      "History is written by the victors"

Comment

Impact hammer. It was fairly balanced in ut3 for hammer jumping in that you lost 50hp for a full punt, the distance it sends you when combined with jump boots in ut3 should remain the same. Less distance would need a less hp per jump and further distance would take more hp, so I say stick to ut3 in this regard. Shock rifle is the most important weapon and ut3 had it nailed down.

Comment

Originally posted by MuscleShock View Post
          Impact hammer. It was fairly balanced in ut3 for hammer jumping in that you lost 50hp for a full punt, the distance it sends you when combined with jump boots in ut3 should remain the same. Less distance would need a less hp per jump and further distance would take more hp, so I say stick to ut3 in this regard. Shock rifle is the most important weapon and ut3 had it nailed down.
          If I recall correctly, the 50hp thing was a netcode error; it only took 25hp in offline play.
          I went by B0T0X in UT2k4, BoboTheBrave in UT3. If you remember me, send me a PM!

Remember? I was the one running backward with the flag!

Comment

The 25/50hp is no netcode error. It's a adaption for the selected skill. How much damage everything to take is related to the bot level you select when starting the game. If you select 'Godlike', the Hammer will take 50hp in offline play as well, for instance.
            ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
            ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

generaly i'd make projectile weaponry more viable in close combat but lets see 1 by 1,

Sniper/Lightning-Gun: Maybe a whole new sniper rifle should be invented.. anyone played 'Red Faction' ? than the 'FCA-26 Rail Driver' should bring up funny memories. ---> A weapon with lets say max 3/3 ammo and the ability to partly bypass any surface between you and the oppoenent with a extremly high reload-rate. 2ndry option could work the same way imo, if your opponent is close enough its body-temperature could make him "aura" visible thus you can shot him with reduced dmg through wall(s)..

Rocket: faster and higher AoF rockets ( by faster i mean the rocket speed, not the the rate of fire ) + pooping rockets 99'style

Flack: tbh i could imagine a faster rate of fire here with less dmg, maybe a 2-3x burst of fire with a 2-3 second cooldown

Mini: i could imagine a 99style here too -tho its not much different from 2004 as well- ( slower but accurate, faster but spreading ) + maybe half dmg with shields on

Ripper: id just bring back that weapon as it is

Link: faster fire rate, and faster ammunition usage on saft to make more tactical instead of annoying

Shock: slower fire-rate, faster core ( +pay attention to it's size.. it was a horror in ut3 where its fit through in 1px holes.. )

Bio: id completely remade this weapon: the bigger goo you shot on a surface the larger AoF radiation damage it should radiate around itself = this would add a tactical possibility to corner the maps in tight scenarios and gives some sort of passive scouting --> the moment its radiationd dmg hurts the opponenet youd hear the hitsound thus get an idea where is your opponent too. and ofc on direct hit = instant death

Rifle: as a standard/starting weapon it needs something to add on the dmg-spike side so id vote for a 2004ish rifle with less spread, and the 2ndry granade should explode on the first contact with a slightly bigger AoF. like a reeeeeeeely fast mini rocket. :3 srsly.

shield-gun: A must have personal defense - that id alter the way it would be constantly available to use. on usage it would generate a shell around you. while its active it could adsorb all the energy-type damages but no protection against projectile dmg like rocket/flack/mini/ripper/etc.. anything but shock/sniper/link. it should counter link 2nday saft as well by not letting it crippling the movement. while shieldgun is used ofc any other weapons currently equipped should be unusable. the recharge time of shield gun should be relatively rapid/fast but its activation should consume the power just as rapidly as well, no half an hour protection but quick tactical usage

the rest of the weapons are rather fun orientated than competitive so thats all i could of think of right now
              Last edited by ESL|nite; 05-14-2014, 08:23 PM.
              Master League Admin of Electronic Sports League (ESL)
              facebook | twitch.tv | twitter

Comment

I wish I could participate in the development of UT doing modeling of weapons. How do I start?

Comment

About weapons, for beggining I would love to see the design of a Flak Cannon (My favourite weapon from UT ) the design and look of it I think it should be similar to UT99 or UT2004. In UT3 design and look of Flak Cannon seemed a little odd, comapred to the previous titles, kinda didn't feel like a "true flak Cannon". Or maybe design of it should be something between UT99 an UT3 flak, or UT2004 and UT3, but generally I think Flak needs to have those 2 separated parts with classic reloading scheme.Click image for larger version

Name:	ll.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	328520Click image for larger version

Name:	Unreal_Tournament_Flakcannon.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	328521Click image for larger version

Name:	My_Flak_Cannon__render__by_aido727.jpg
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	328522

Comment

IMO, the shock rifle from UT3 was the best. Good hit collision (UT2004 it was HORRIBLE, shock core canceled for nothing), and best of all, could stop projectiles like roquet, flak (sharp/grenade), sniper bullet or bio goose. Its secondary fire was the perfect shield gun reincarnation

Comment

I think design of weapons should be very similar to originals to keep it from failing like ut3 did.
                      I use to be a tournament competitor like you till I got concrete to the knee.

Comment

How about adding

* Sherikens (Ninja Stars) , with Nun-chaka's for alt fire.
                        * Some Hand to Hand combat like Grappling and Bone Breaking maneuvers (some kinda street Fighter / Tekken Dynamics)
                        * A Big Rambo Knife for all players with various cuts/kills (Bring CS players into the game)
                        * Cross bow / Bow with arrows , normal , venomous , flaming (Bring Archers into the Game) think ChaosUT
                        * Sword's for Melee styled Games (Barbarians)
                        * Chain Mail , Sledge Hammer , shields and stuff maybe..

Comment

Originally posted by Tribulationz View Post
                          How about adding

* Sherikens (Ninja Stars) , with Nun-chaka's for alt fire.
                          * Some Hand to Hand combat like Grappling and Bone Breaking maneuvers (some kinda street Fighter / Tekken Dynamics)
                          * A Big Rambo Knife for all players with various cuts/kills (Bring CS players into the game)
                          * Cross bow / Bow with arrows , normal , venomous , flaming (Bring Archers into the Game) think ChaosUT
                          * Sword's for Melee styled Games (Barbarians)
                          * Chain Mail , Sledge Hammer , shields and stuff maybe..
                          I think it would be interesting to have different starting weapons like
                          * Enforcer (default) + melee weapon
                          * Skaarj blaster/claws (for Skaarj)
                          * ninja stars + melee weapon (for ninjas)
                          Melee weapons
                          * Impact Hammer (default)
                          * fists
                          * knife
                          * chainsaw
                          * ninja sword (for ninjas)

Maybe the medieval stuff should be in next chaosUT.
                          Last edited by JBcathers2; 05-18-2014, 11:45 PM.
                          I use to be a tournament competitor like you till I got concrete to the knee.

Comment

No Impact hammer,
                            Yes Shield Gun. Prefer UT2004 style where I can use him with berserk:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIK7SmCRokY
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--qmMe6O_38
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bLCkoxDZoQ
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3w6bxcLiwo

I am very love it. I will be very disappointed if again will Impact hammer.

Comment

My take:

My take:

Melee - Impact Hammer, not Shieldgun. The Impact Hammer was versatile, useful and tactical all while being terrifying in close-quarters. Nobody was ever afraid of a Shieldgun. Also, loved the alt-fire functionality of removing powerups seen in UT3; I'd love to see that again.

Starting Weapon - Single Enforcer, with the option of picking up a second from other players who drop theirs (usually before getting a better gun). Without double-akimbo Enforcers, it's not UT in my mind.

Goo gun - Yes. Just yes. Primary fire spam everywhere (sticks to surfaces), alt fire to load up a giant "sneeze". I still love charging up the alt-fire and then letting it go on unsuspecting players as they come around a corner only to get the entire load in the face while shouting "ACHOO!" into the mic. Try it.

Shock Rifle - Give me my ASMD and I'm happy. Mind the hitbox of the slow-moving orb (it should have one more than 1 UU in diameter), and limit the RoF and knockback of the primary fire to something reasonable.

Pulse/Link Gun - Spammy primary fire with slow-enough-moving projectiles so they can be dodged at medium range, alt-fire should drain ammo fast to avoid Ghostbustering.

Minigun - Should fire bullets. No Tarydium "Stinger" shard nonsense, no explosive rounds. Just normal bullets. Fast & accurate with primary fire, faster and way less accurate with alt-fire.

Ripper - Yes.

Flak Cannon - Searing hot meat-y chunk-ripping shrapnel goodness. Primary fire should be random pattern in a limited spread and chunks should bounce everywhere, off everything solid which isn't meat. Alternate fire should have a high, predictable arc for dropping the notoriously happy shell on the heads of unsuspecting players at a reasonably high range with fairly consistent accuracy.

Rocket Launcher - Eightball. The original, full-functionality gun with the ability to fire up to 6 rockets in a row, in a ball, heat-seeking or dumbfire, or pooped down the stairs. Nothing less.

Sniper - Reasonably controlled rate of fire, nigh perfect accuracy, highly-functional scope (think WidowMaker). Ideally super-fast projectile instead of hitscan.

Redeemer - Yes, please. With the UT99 guidance system.

Translocator - High arc, reasonable rate of fire, but none of that re-charge nonsense where you can't fire it repeatedly after a few times. Keep the functionality of a damaged Translocator disc resulting in an insta-gib for the user.

AVRiL - Loved the way it worked in UT2004.

Grenades/remote/spider mines - Vehicular gametypes only.

Ion/Beam Cannon - Love to see this on bigger maps, especially large outdoor CTF.

Air Strike/Bomber - Assault mode only?

What did I miss?

Edit: Oh right, turrets (if they count as a weapon) - Vehicular +/or Assult mode(s) only.
                              Last edited by AutoPsychotic; 05-29-2014, 05:43 PM. Reason: Slipped my mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X