Dear Epic... You're doing it wrong!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -AEnubis- View Post
    Considering that AI difficulty scales, how is offline play even in the equation? Are we now going to focus on a robust single player campaign? Did the offline player numbers contribute to the size of the online community?
    A robust singleplayer campaign is CRITICAL to this get this game approachable to a wider audience. Matter of fact, that's all that matters really. The AI design and implementation has a direct affect on the future player numbers.

Comment

Comment

In the context of actual online community vs players who only played offline, it really doesn't apply. If, however, you are actually trying to tie this into supporting the argument that the game needs to be "successful", it fails twice. Once where I still don't believe sales revenue is relevant to this project, and twice where as sales aren't relevant, the only reason to make the game more accessible is to bolster a more profound online community. Online. Not players who only play offline. They can do that regardless of server population. I can go play UT offline right now until I'm blue in the face.

I'm all for a campaign to teach players the ropes. UT did this fine with a few simple tournaments, and minimal back story. Even in pre-alpha, we already have a basic training regimen as well as some prearranged bot matches for the full game types. Not really sure why that's even a discussion at this point.

As far as a profound, story driven, single player campaign for those that want to play offline, that might be great when revenue is concerned, but this game is for free. Being free, offline players do nothing for the game, and getting players in the servers is easy. Keeping them there, is what's not easy. If you go about new player accessibility the wrong way, you will lose the old players, and the new players when they become old.

I'm all for lowering the skill floor, when it can be done without lowering the ceiling. Things like no double jumps, and single tap dodges are great examples of it. I really don't see how removing the TL doesn't lower the skill ceiling. Just like there isn't a thing about rockets that doesn't lower their skill ceiling right now.
        Originally posted by Mysterial
        An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Working...
        X