Please do not remove any weapons.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please do not remove any weapons.

There are lots of ideas bandied about weapon choice (LG vs sniper, all that), but I had a concern about it.

If asked by a layperson what the biggest difference is between UT and any other FPS, I would mention the unique weapons load out. Every other unique aspect requires explanation (what is an arena fps? why does map design matter? why is movement a big deal?), but the fact that UT has at least 20+ fundamentally different weapons (as opposed to 10 assault rifles that all look alike and do the same thing with incredibly marginal differences in accuracy or magsize) is to me the easiest selling point.

There should be no reason that any prior weapon shouldn't make it into the final product, if it is different in a meaningful way than another weapon. Both the LG and Sniper should make it. Both the impact and shield. Assault rifle and enforcer. If a map designer doesn't want the LG in their maps, its fine, but the entire concept of 'paradox of choice' is why the modern FPS is bland and boring - the gamer is treated as a child incapable of handling more than two weapons at a time, or having any weapon that isn't 'bullets go forward at crosshair'.

So in any discussion of 'X vs Y', just keep in mind that ideally, both should be in. The more the better.

I never played 99 enough to form an opinion, but I do feel both 99 and 2k4 weapon should be included. Classic 1 mode and classic 2 mode. I feel that is important to accommodate both of these communities. Any new weapon would be nice as well.

Comment

I might be a little biased in my opinion because I played 2004 like a fiend but the weapons in 2004 would satiate my appetite for epicness.

Comment

Originally posted by mindgnome View Post
        I might be a little biased in my opinion because I played 2004 like a fiend but the weapons in 2004 would satiate my appetite for epicness.
        Does that mean that we can't have 99 weapons? No. I agree, let's have both.

Comment

I strongly support the original idea.
          Why arguing about LG vs SR? Why arguing about Impact Hammer vs Shield Gun?

I would include all of it, with some maps being polished for usage of one, and anothers for another.

One could even think to combine IMpact Hammer with shield gun with elegancy it's done about the Rocket Launcher in UT3. Just like the Rocket Launcher switching between grenades and rockets. If you hit mouse button 2, you start charging the "kick the DD out", and if click the mouse button 1 along, you switch to the shield mode. Then there could event be an option to swap which one is the primary secondary () mode — kicking out the powerups or turning on the shield. And even server option to enable/disable shielding/kicking out powerups.

Comment

if we're talking including the weapons as generally available then i agree - though if it eats up too much development time i'd rather they keep only the pivotal ones like the Shock Rifle. for a Default Roster i'd prefer to have at max 4 old weapons and make the others fresh.

for example: the Redeemer should be deprecated. if kept as an optional item, it should have a visually compelling nuclear blast which takes the environment into account instead of a generic blast-area. its replacement should be something equally frightening and scarce like the black hole generator from Unreal 2 or a sonic disruption weapon.

Comment

Development time... when we have an entire community of rabid Unreal fans, many of whom are talented designers/developers in their own right, working along side Epic. If everyone who is actively working on the engine/game (which is, admittedly, a much smaller number than the community as a whole) picks a project and sticks to it, I don't see this as being an issue. I vote for more ways to kill stuff. Scratch that. I want ALL the ways to kill stuff.

Comment

Working...
              X