POLL : Weapon Switch Speed Too Slow ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POLL : Weapon Switch Speed Too Slow ?

Considering this thread : https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-switch-speed/, addressing the question of Weapon Switch Time being too slow, versus not being too slow, It would be interesting to actually ask the community about what they think in a POLL.

EDIT : What I want to say about the results of this Poll :

Originally posted by Gold3N View Post

Thank you everybody for all your answers.

The current results of the POLL are quite impressive and clearly show a tendency towards faster weapon switch speed.

I knew that I just couldn't be the only one being frustrated. The poll pointed that truth out.

Someone spoke about feeling "committed" to your current weapon. That is so true. It often feels way too risky to dare to change, especially in a fast paced game with powerful weapons like this one. Sticking to your initial weapon seems to give you greater chances to get through the battle.

That is how IMO the game is actually rewarding / promoting monomaniac-brainless-single-weapon-random-shoots playing aka "hope it'll kill someone" playing, aka "noob playing".

I'm not saying noob playing is bad, I am aware that THIS is also UT. Someone above suggested to consider "funness", and I think he's right.

Then what is fun ? For a beginner, being able to frag despite your understandable lack of skills IS definitely fun. That funness will promote their willingness to play more.
    But when just taking random frag isn't giving you enough fun anymore, you start to want to get some skills.

Then being able to perform "skilled play" becomes the FUN part. That is where you start to pay attention to details, the way you move, the sound you make, the places you spawn, the weapon you use depending on the situation, etc.

But, if during a fight, single weapon spamming is more efficient than intelligent weapon switching, then you don't encourage people to smart play and get skills. Thus, the FUN hence the GAME will end after you get tired to spam around, unable to get to appreciate the game to another level.

Letting beginners having FUN is good. But not letting advanced player make the difference by smart tuning their play (and weapon switch time is a component of that fine tuning) is harmful for the game (kills motivation, and thus kills fun). If a 10 hours chess player can easily defeat a 10,000 hours players, the game has something wrong (and as a consequence, there won't be that many 10,000 hours players...).

Let's hope EPIC will eventually notice the thread... : )
    Yes, overall switch speed should be faster
    83.02%
    No, It's totally fine as it is now
    9.57%
    Yes, but only to some extent (please elaborate)
    7.41%
    Last edited by Gold3N; 09-02-2016, 03:03 AM.
    UT2004 Demo Skill

It WOULD be interesting to ask the community in a poll.. too bad this thread doesn't have one.
    Originally posted by Gold3N View Post
    Barktooth : you were too fast, it takes some time to the poll to be attached to the thread ; )
    Edit: ah you added one I guess I was too fast.

As for the weapon switch, I think it's fine where it's at. Making it any faster will further increase the difficulty in dodging things
    Last edited by Barktooth; 10-26-2015, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Barktooth : you were too fast, it takes some time to the poll to be attached to the thread ; )
      UT2004 Demo Skill

Comment

Would love to have it closer to ut2k4 or Quake 3 Vanilla (not CPMA and nowhere near UT2k3 instant switch ) )

Reason: I just like faster gameplay in general, it is more fun to me. But I am fine with whatever the community or Epic decides in the end
        snT.ch, pagl.ch, pag.ch: UT 4 ever!

Comment

Yes! Often times it feel that if you go into a fight with a certain gun out you're committed to it, because switching just takes a fair tad too long.

Comment

fast change speed is a game improver, we can se more nice combos, like bioshock+shock rifle, sniper+rocket, the game gets faster, gets pro man.

Comment

I think switching needs to be faster if you have not fired the weapon, sort of like in Quake Live how if you fired the weapon you have to wait for it's reload to switch but if you have not fired it you can switch much faster.

You can't always go into a fight with the right weapon because your hand maybe buisy with other things.

Comment

Originally posted by Unreal Gladiator View Post
                I think switching needs to be faster if you have not fired the weapon, sort of like in Quake Live how if you fired the weapon you have to wait for it's reload to switch but if you have not fired it you can switch much faster.
                ^^^ This... Otherwise switching is fine now.

Didn't vote on the poll since this isn't one of the options.

Comment

My main concern is flag returns after killing someone from more distance than standing right next to the EFC. The slow switch speed combined with the power of projectiles (mainly flak, rockets) leaves just 1 viable method to get a flag return. I've gotten pretty frustrated sniping/shocking someone then tapping the trans bind over and over waiting for it to pull out while I'm forced to just waddle over for the possible return.
                  Last edited by pb.; 10-27-2015, 06:04 PM.
                  Come join us for pickup games http://ut4pugs.us

Comment

My biggest gripes are:

Hammer:
                    - Too slow to switch away from after firing.
                    - Too slow to switch to and fire primary for enemy damage.
                    - Rate of fire too slow.

Rocket Launcher:
                    - Too slow to switch away from after secondary rocket/grenade fire.
                    - Rate of fire a bit too slow.

Put down times for all weapons needs to go and should only rely on RoF.

Comment

Dang look at this poll, it's quite telling. Please please please please please for the love of all things Unreal make switching to and from the translocator faster as well. It's so delayed. You can kill the EFC and be waiting for what seems like an eternity to switch to the thing and return the flag. In that time, you will get killed, or someone on the other team will pick it up. Not because you lack the skill to return the flag, or that you're slow, but because it takes forever to switch to and from the translocator.
                      Youtube | Twitch | Twitter | Instagram

Comment

Here's an idea. Make the first switch quick, but after shooting with it, the following gun switches in a short span of time should be slower. Dueling someone only to find that you are holding the wrong gun for the situation once the opponents shows up could have bad consequences, but after choosing the right gun, you should commit to your choice. This is to prevent ridiculous multi-gun combos (though I'm not even sure if that's a bad thing).

Comment

if you have the skill to crucify somebody using multiple weapons, THIS IS THE GAME where you should be able to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by hleV View Post
                            Here's an idea. Make the first switch quick, but after shooting with it, the following gun switches in a short span of time should be slower. Dueling someone only to find that you are holding the wrong gun for the situation once the opponents shows up could have bad consequences, but after choosing the right gun, you should commit to your choice. This is to prevent ridiculous multi-gun combos (though I'm not even sure if that's a bad thing).
                            that is the problem, it is not a bad thing and you should be sure XD

also i dno why map makers are so shy on vials, maps seem to be full of armors but no vials

Comment

Originally posted by R.Riddick View Post
                              also i dno why map makers are so shy on vials, maps seem to be full of armors but no vials
                              Put it this way... If 100/0 vs 100/150 is bad, imagine how much worse 100/0 vs 200/150 is. Too many vials makes it easy to stack and maintain 200 health to go with that 150 armor.

Comment

Working...
                              X