Post Halloween Assessment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post Halloween Assessment

I joined this community back when it was first announced, quickly realized that there were a lot of people who were more knowledgeable and experienced then I was so I then retreated back out to let the people who knew what they were talking about sort everything out. This last Halloween update saw me playing more online UT then I have in a very long time. I just wanted to post some observations I had while I was playing.

First off, there is some amazing work here. I had to go back to the tutorials to learn a bunch of stuff after playing for a while and watching people do all the cool stuff that you can do in this game now. Having a guy knee-slide under my shock beam to blast me in the face was truly humbling. Props to Hank Hill.

So obviously I'm no pro. I can generally hold my own, but against a truly good player I fold up like a road map in the hands of Jeremy Clarkson (sorry, obtuse reference). I mention this only to provide a bit of context.

In the last few days of concentrated fragging there was one thing that became very clear. Of all the weapons, from the frequently hated flak cannon to the oft maligned bio rifle, most would see something close to equal amount of use, depending on what part of any given map I was in. Obviously if I was in a room that was on the opposite side of the map from the sniper rifle I wouldn't see too many people using sniper rifles until somebody head-shot me from across the map. The one exception to this was the stinger minigun secondary fire. I think I tried using it once, and didn't use it again and I'm pretty sure I never saw anybody else use it at all.

The problem with the secondary fire of the minigun is that it just doesn't do any one thing well enough on its own to justify using it. The link gun has a good reason to use the primary fire vs the secondary fire. The combo rifle, well obviously. I could go through all the other guns and the same would be true (with the exception of the secondary fire of the enforcer, it's pretty useless too). The problem with the secondary fire of the stinger is that it's a slow firing, slow moving projectile that doesn't do much damage and only has one advantage: knock-back. Knock-back isn't a unique thing though, and many of the other weapons that provide knock-back do so better in some way or another, either by doing more damage or by being an instant hit (hi shock rifle!).

I don't have a suggestion for how to fix the stinger secondary fire. With the community that exists here, I'm sure there are a lot of people who can come up with much better ideas then me. But something needs to be done. Even if all it did was to spin the gun up (like the heavy in TF2) that would be more useful then it is now.

Uhm, i recall the stinger secondary being OP and in need of a nerf, actually?

In close range it's VERY damaging. You may have missed the amount of damage it deals with a single shot (or i may have missed it being nerfed, it's a possibility and i can't check now, i'm out of gaming pc for a couple of weeks...).

Comment

Originally posted by Aelian View Post
      Uhm, i recall the stinger secondary being OP and in need of a nerf, actually?

In close range it's VERY damaging. You may have missed the amount of damage it deals with a single shot (or i may have missed it being nerfed, it's a possibility and i can't check now, i'm out of gaming pc for a couple of weeks...).
      I agree, the stinger is OP at the moment.

Comment

Working...
      X