Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sniper Rifle ideas

Hey Guys,

This has probably been brought up already, but I just could not find the correct thread.

A lot of guys have been complaining lately about the sniperrifle being OP, with the current implementation of the netcode. While I still would say that it is too early to judge this, I still though about some possible solutions. One thing that came up ist the following:

-standardfiremode --> low dmg (50 -60) hitscan with same rate of fire as it is now NO headshot!
    -secodaryfiremode --> high damage (90 -100) CHARGED shot maybe one or 1.5 -2 seconds to charge it up, headshot possible --> this could even be a projectile but I would probably need at least 100 dmg then to justify it.
    - zoom as the third firemode which can be combined with both other modes

What do you guys think? (And sorry again if this has been brought up already)
    snT.ch, pagl.ch, pag.ch: UT 4 ever!

Sorry, but the zoom would simply be too finnicky, how would you zoom further/zoom back out, e.t.c, it would make the zoom even more useless than it already is
    the whole purpose of the sniper rifle is to pick out shots at a mid-long range. the sniper is all but useless when you are close to someone using it.

Comment

I'm one of the ones who thinks sniper is OP.. but it's not THAT OP. It's pretty balanced in DM, but definitely too useful in TDM/1v1. I think lowering the damage to 60 would be enough to balance it - it will take another shot to kill someone in a lot of cases then, and won't really affect its performance in DM since most people run around without armor there.

With 70 damage, if you grab the 5 vials on ASDF you are still a 2-shot. With 60 damage, you'd have 5HP left if you got shot twice.

Comment

Well, I think sniper is perfectly balanced now

Originally posted by Barktooth View Post
        With 70 damage, if you grab the 5 vials on ASDF you are still a 2-shot. With 60 damage, you'd have 5HP left if you got shot twice.
        But every other weapon can kill you faster :P With flak it's only 1 shot, even if you grab 15 vials

Polish community DISCORD server: https://discord.gg/eMRKbAg Join us if you are Polish and let's play some 4v4

Comment

Originally posted by rAge. View Post
          Well, I think sniper is perfectly balanced now

But every other weapon can kill you faster :P With flak it's only 1 shot, even if you grab 15 vials
          You also need to be in close range (which is a death wish in UT4) and seeing half a pixel of someone isn't enough to do any damage, like it is with sniper.

Comment

Flak is the best weapon in close range, and it's one of the reasons, why close range is a "death wish in ut4". With sniper you can't be in close range, you need to be away from your enemy, which is a lot more difficult with current sounds.

Polish community DISCORD server: https://discord.gg/eMRKbAg Join us if you are Polish and let's play some 4v4

Comment

Yea I also feel it's much more risky to stay close range in UT4 than before. Sniper is generally hard to hit with if the other player sees that you have sniper and begins the usual sideways strafing because strafing in this UT4 is very responsive right now (almost too much so for my taste to the point the movement feels a bit mechanical rather than natural) that often the guy changes direction exactly when you press the trigger. However sniper is generally somewhat easy to hit with regarding hitboxes if the player moves linearly and unaware of the situation in this installment so it's important to separate those two scenarios.

Flak is a different story because no matter how you move it's not superhard to hit the players, in all previous UTs, it was slightly more harder to hit the player for sure even at close distance. Seems to have to do both with the hitboxes (players & shards) and the spread.
              Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 11-05-2015, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Op wants to spam rockets linkgun stinger and doesn´t like being flickshotted by sniper when he walks like a snail around.
                with those changes the weapon would basically become low-tier in a fastpaced game like this you can´t allow to have doubblezoom or chargemechanic or tickledmg of a sniperrifle.

here´s another idea , instead of nerfing dmg nerf the bullet-hitbox so it isn´t like throwing a rock at someone out of the barrel.

Comment

I love the sniper, I'm fine either way as long as it still just takes 2 shots to kill.

I honestly thought that headshotting would become a problem, but I've not been killed by those maybe once or twice every 3 matches at most. In the end it still is insanely hard to hit a single pixel that is moving extremely quickly.

Maybe when people get a lot better at this game it might become a problem though.

If at one point we want to balance the sniper around to make headshots harder, I thought that maybe we could do it like this:

> The moment you pick up a sniper you will have a charged bar.
                  > You can only headshot if the bar is filled.
                  > If you wiff a shot, the bar will be emptied and has to recharge until it is filled again. (3-5 seconds) However it will not reset if the charged shot is a body shot or headshot.
                  > Whiffed shots do not reset the bar while it is recharging.>
                  > You do not need to have the Sniper equipped for the bar to recharge.
                  > You can still fire the sniper at the same rate and damage (70) but during the time it's recharging headshots are not possible.
                  > Should you get a headshot while the bar is filled, it will instantly refill again and the next shot can also headshot, this goes on as long as you can keep on getting headshots.

It's just an idea, but obviously it could also be a mechanic that makes the Sniper completely obsolete and to be honest, it'd be very hard for new players to remember this all the moment they start playing. Again, it's just an idea I had.
                  Last edited by Hubbles; 11-05-2015, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubbles View Post
                    I love the sniper, I'm fine either way as long as it still just takes 2 shots to kill.

I honestly thought that headshotting would become a problem, but I've not been killed by those maybe once or twice every 3 matches at most. In the end it still is insanely hard to hit a single pixel that is moving extremely quickly.

Maybe when people get a lot better at this game it might become a problem though.
                    know those people with their funny airheadshots or flickshots with sniper and 100% accuracy ? hate to tell you this but there are many toggle on and off pixelaimbothacks right now that make it look insanely accurate without a readjustment of the mouse and i´ve encountered one - the problem with the sniper is that its an aimbotters choice to finish off anyone after a rocket or flakshred shockbeam etc.

weaponbalance should not be the primary mission of epic , but an almost impenetrable fortress and catching injections instantly against nasty-***-poser hackers.

and my tinfoil aside , i do agree with you that sniper isn´t a problem every weapon has to be powerful and verypowerful in different niches.
                    some prefer this over that i do love the sniper but it mostly serves as a finisher from mid to longrange if they halve the dmg , i just switch to stinger instead with a higher firerate on secondary and equal accuracy it becomes the new "sniper" for finishing people.

Comment

Originally posted by JakobGoldstein View Post
                      i do agree with you that sniper isn´t a problem every weapon has to be powerful and verypowerful in different niches.
                      some prefer this over that i do love the sniper but it mostly serves as a finisher from mid to longrange if they halve the dmg , i just switch to stinger instead with a higher firerate on secondary and equal accuracy it becomes the new "sniper" for finishing people.
                      Sorry, just had a huge edit for my post.

No, but I completely agree, I use the sniper more as a finisher than anything else and it should be used like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubbles View Post
                        Sorry, just had a huge edit for my post.

No, but I completely agree, I use the sniper more as a finisher than anything else and it should be used like that.
                        but it should also be capable of standalone armory, which is why rocket shockrifle linkgun stinger have to be balanced in line according to sniper - weve to find a middleground nerf this nerf that buff this buff htat , reduce shrapnel , reduce rockethitbox increase hitbox bla - complex practical stuff yo.

Comment

Originally posted by rAge. View Post
                          Flak is the best weapon in close range, and it's one of the reasons, why close range is a "death wish in ut4". With sniper you can't be in close range, you need to be away from your enemy, which is a lot more difficult with current sounds.
                          I'd say it's about equally hard to be away from someone as it is to get in close range to them. Many times when I was chasing someone who had sniper, even if I was already in pretty close range to them, they still managed to take off my whole belt and kill me.

It's not really that Flak is best compared to other weapons that makes close range combat so volatile, Flak/Rox are too powerful even by themselves. You can't dodge them at all as dodge is too slow and predictable. The shard and rocket collision boxes are also so big it feels like the damage is all-or-nothing.

If you get lucky, you can dodge flak/rox in close range while you have sniper out and kill someone. But see, you have to get lucky.. it's not consistent, makes the game feel random and not skill based. IMO Flak/Rox should be more consistently dodgeable, and Sniper should be nerfed enough where you still can't normally kill someone in close range with it.
                          Last edited by Infiadux; 11-05-2015, 05:02 PM.

Comment

The shard and rocket collision boxes are also so big it feels like the damage is all-or-nothing.
                            That's the real problem with flak and rockets. Changing speed, damage or spread values isn't going to make much difference as long as they damage anything they just come close to. Remove that collision though... They'll both be harder to hit with and flak won't do nearly as much damage beyond short range.

Remove the shard/rocket collision cylinders (or boxes or w/e) then tweak rocket splash damage and flak spread to suit.

Yeah, dodge is too slow and predictable.
                            Last edited by MoxNix; 11-05-2015, 05:18 PM.

Comment

I'd say it's about equally hard to be away from someone as it is to get in close range to them.
                              It's not, reason is simple - timing. If you wanna items, you need to go in close distance. It's huge advantage of close distance weapons.

Sniper should be nerfed enough where you still can't normally kill someone in close range with it.
                              Why!? It's fairly weaker than other weapon in close. It's not that easy to kill with sniper rifle. You need AIM to use it and perfect knowledge about movement and positioning. If you dont have around 35% accuracy with it, better choose another weapon. I am pretty sure only ~20% of players are able to use it effectively. (because it's only one "easy to use, hard to master" weapon).

Comment

Working...
                              X