No announcement yet.

Melee Weapons in the Unreal Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no, lose the melee weapons all together and just have a melee attack using the butt end of your weapon! .... smack the **** out of them in close combat when your out of ammo!

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-

Comment

Originally posted by Laambo View Post
      no, lose the melee weapons all together and just have a melee attack using the butt end of your weapon! .... smack the **** out of them in close combat when your out of ammo!
      Exactly! But maybe without having to wait till all your ammo is out.
      As there is already a secondary weapon fire, it'd need a third button. Maybe it'd be better as mutator first...MUTATOR Butt Melee
      Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

Originally posted by Laambo View Post
        Well not all the weapons have butts but its similar the kick idea, pistol whip is possible but Im not sure thats Unreal enough yet. It really needs to be over the top and fun to fit within UT for me Im trying to get away from CoDs, BFs and TF2s with my thinking thats largely why I brought this to the forum to see if anyone could help me get the ball rolling.

Maybe somethin like spiking someone in the eye socket with a stinger shard or splitting em down the middle with the ripper, just something with abit of wow factor that would make it worthwhile really rubbing it in someones face since the bio doesnt have the same impact it used to becoming a more serious weapon.
        Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Power_fist_(Fallout_4)

How about something like this for Gauntlets? I have to model a fist for Gorge anyway so I could double up and give it some functionality on its own. I liked the idea of EMP in UT3 to kinda knock powerups off.

Mario Brothers Movie Boots

These could be like Kick Boots, they might double as Jump Boots or only allow a small kick off the walls and ground. Who knows, Ive seen it suggested to make the impact hammer have no damage but being a long time TF2 Solly I can see why you might not want to have to look at where youre jumping off from cuz it makes it trickier to aim in the air since you dont get much of a steady shot unless its a really low angle.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...b198721a9e.jpg

There is always the nice Taser Baton, some of these are actually really cool and it would be a nice effect when you hit someone. I really feel as though the knockback which makes the normal pew pew weapons annoying could be moved to melee where it takes more skill to use correctly and can cause heavier self damage. It means melee could be a good finisher or starter when combined with guns, say hitting someone up in the air with a Gauntlet then pulling out a rocket launcher and shooting em.

http://orig05.deviantart.net/2ef5/f/...il-d3e0msc.jpg

More of a laser hacksaw could be interesting as opposed to magic jedi styled blades.

http://media.indiedb.com/images/arti...to/oDsDO3p.jpg

Mining equipment/plasma cutter, chainsaw/ripper like weapon?

http://orig00.deviantart.net/2b9d/f/...43-d3jo700.png

Who knows could be used in place of a translocator, some kind of futuristic flag you can throw to your team mates, who knows.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../d/d2/Mace.jpg
          Last edited by MonsOlympus; 01-14-2016, 10:06 AM. Reason: updated
          Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

I like those suggestions, but I would prefer a gamemode apart, unless there were not more than one melee weapon pickup in any map.

-Luigi Rapetta
            (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
            Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
              I like those suggestions, but I would prefer a gamemode apart, unless there were not more than one melee weapon pickup in any map.
              I can certainly see the thinking here, I actually dont mind melee only but I have a few things I want to test so some of this might be different mutators. I certainly want to test with loadouts, perhaps let people pick their melee and couple other weapons when they start, that is stepping into UC territory though and people dont seem to like that.

Making a GameMode from Mutators is not a bad idea if there are enough of them, what I wouldnt mind (programming-wise) are Mutator Sets, this way I know certain mutators are compatible, it can help keep the code more modular without being overly abstract.

I would like to think the community would be open considering we still have a fair few unused buttons compared to alot of other FPS games I play.

Translocator = Q
              Quick Melee = E
              Kick = F/V
              Block = R/X

Thats not including movement combos if it takes games like Dying Light and Shadow Warrior into account, your attacks are context sensitive so you can dodge and counter-attack much better.

Eg.
              Enemy Fires
              Dodge
              Counter-Attack
              Attack/Block
              Finisher/Counter

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post

I would like to think the community would be open considering we still have a fair few unused buttons compared to alot of other FPS games I play.

Translocator = Q
                Quick Melee = E
                Kick = F/V
                Block = R/X
                This wouldn't work for me as I use all these for weapon binds.

First thing that came to mind was a toggle / meta key, eg: Hold down Shift / Alt / Caps Lock etc.... and you could use your Primary and secondary binds but it would use your melee attacks instead of your weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post

Fighting games have a special luxury regarding ping. Attacks are constrained to animations. Every animation essentially gives you an extended duration of time where you already know what's going to happen and that gives you a valuable time where you can make sure the clients are synced on the same timestamps, even with dramatic ping differences.
                  This is one of the reason I don't like playing fighting games. I find myself getting stuck in "animation lock" hell.

Wanting to do another move, but being stuck waiting for an animation to finish.

One of the reasons I like the twitch nature of ArenaFPS, you press something and it responds.

Comment

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
                    This wouldn't work for me as I use all these for weapon binds.

First thing that came to mind was a toggle / meta key, eg: Hold down Shift / Alt / Caps Lock etc.... and you could use your Primary and secondary binds but it would use your melee attacks instead of your weapon.
                    Well the defaults dont have those bound to alot and its a pretty standard bind layout for all FPS across the board so I see not alot of need to screw with what works. I will only ever talk about binds as a default though, I support custom binds but its just not worth even trying to address the many combinations out there. (I have actually addressed weapon groups and how to improve scrolling in another thread).

I would avoid any kind of "mode" with keybinds especially the ones you use in a pinch, it just makes it cumbersome through tiny errors.

This is one of the reason I don't like playing fighting games. I find myself getting stuck in "animation lock" hell.

Wanting to do another move, but being stuck waiting for an animation to finish.

One of the reasons I like the twitch nature of ArenaFPS, you press something and it responds.
                    Its a balance, just because you felt this in other games doesnt mean UT needs to feel the same. The slide for instance is abit of a canned animation atm and you get stuck in it but thats part of the gameplay balance of the feature too. In Dying light for instance there are times when the controls feel muddy because of everything its processing animation-wise but thats what you want to avoid in a game like UT, you want it as snappy and not muddy and/or sticky, so UT still has abit to go.

The only time I would suggest longer animations would be for execution (finisher) type moves, if a player is already dead the loss of control isnt jolting and for the attacker its very rewarding especially if there is some way to monetize finishers. I was talking to [MENTION=12687]Stolid[/MENTION] about it, how a mode where you dont die instantly (abit more Gears flavoured or Freon as he suggested) and it seemed reasonable being "downed" has its benefits for all players and adds a needed support type of role to Team Matches.

[MENTION=259189]3Dmatic[/MENTION]: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...l=1#post228815
                    Last edited by MonsOlympus; 02-28-2016, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Well thats the defaults dont have those bound to alot and its a pretty standard bind layout for all FPS across the board so I see not alot of need to screw with what works. I will only ever talk about binds as a default though, I support custom binds but its just not worth even trying to address the many combinations out there.

I would avoid any kind of "mode" with keybinds especially the ones you use in a pinch, it just makes it cumbersome through tiny errors.

Fair point, having to press two keys to get one action would introduce error.
                      I played Destiny on PS3 / PS4 using keyboard / mouse and had melee as right mouse button.
                      It worked really well, except when I went back to playing UT4 and would get a secondary fire instead....

Originally posted by MonsOlympus;228942

Its a balance, just because you felt this in other games doesnt mean UT needs to feel the same. The slide for instance is abit of a canned animation atm and you get stuck in it but thats part of the gameplay balance of the feature too.

In Dying light for instance there are times when the controls feel muddy because of everything its processing animation-wise but thats what you want to avoid in a game like UT, you want it as snappy and not muddy and/or sticky, so UT still has abit to go.

The only time I would suggest longer animations would be for execution (finisher) type moves, if a player is already dead the loss of control isnt jolting and for the attacker its very rewarding especially if there is some way to monetize finishers.
                      Yep, there are some actions we still get stuck in, but besides a weapon switch or cool down, it is possible to do SOMETHING, whereas what annoys we me animation lock in fighting games is that I am stuck there watching myself getting beaten.

I was talking to [MENTION=12687]Stolid[/MENTION] about it, how a mode where you dont die instantly (abit more Gears flavoured or Freon as he suggested) and it seemed reasonable being "downed" has its benefits for all players and adds a needed support type of role to Team Matches.
                      That would be interesting. I recall the first time I played Gears of War and saw this and thought it was quite neat.

[MENTION=259189]3Dmatic[/MENTION]: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...l=1#post228815
                      Next thing I've got inline to reply to.

It might be good for [MENTION=259189]3Dmatic[/MENTION] to bring the discussion of that topic into this thread.

That might be how I reply.

Comment

Fair point, having to press two keys to get one action would introduce error.
                        I played Destiny on PS3 / PS4 using keyboard / mouse and had melee as right mouse button.
                        It worked really well, except when I went back to playing UT4 and would get a secondary fire instead....
                        Yeah we do still have to be mindful of how many buttons we're using even on PC, ideally I think people should have better access to weapons via mouse. A mode could work for blocks/grapples and Im certainly a fan of context sensitivity so combining the moves with dodge like Shadow Warrior is something that could minimize the number of buttons needed if say dodge right+quick melee was parry and then dodge left+quick melee is punch.

Yep, there are some actions we still get stuck in, but besides a weapon switch or cool down, it is possible to do SOMETHING, whereas what annoys we me animation lock in fighting games is that I am stuck there watching myself getting beaten.

That would be interesting. I recall the first time I played Gears of War and saw this and thought it was quite neat.
                        Yeah thats the "not fun" stuff we need to avoid, as a finisher sure watching yourself getting killed is frustrating but its also pushes you to succeed so you dont see yourself getting slaughtered all the time. With UT atm deaths dont mean much except in their value as frags to other people but if you were purposefully avoiding death you might get a better K : D which is what we'll need of new players if they are to improve.
                        Last edited by MonsOlympus; 02-28-2016, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Yeah thats the "not fun" stuff we need to avoid, as a finisher sure watching yourself getting killed is frustrating but its also pushes you to succeed so you dont see yourself getting slaughtered all the time.
                          Reading your response, I didn't realise I didn't write my response well. When I wrote "getting killed" I meant, losing health during a match and being pinned down such that I cannot fight back.

Watching the finishers is frustrating too, but in a different way and yes it does push you to try harder next time

Comment

The best instance of melee weapons in UT comes from ChaosUT, in my opinion.

Implementing their ideas seems redundant, as they are already hard at work at creating a new version of their mod for this Unreal Tournament, but at least it is a good example of pretty standard melee weapons, roughly equivalent to those in TF2, working perfectly within the confines of UT games.

Comment

Originally posted by Adridos View Post
                              The best instance of melee weapons in UT comes from ChaosUT, in my opinion.

Implementing their ideas seems redundant, as they are already hard at work at creating a new version of their mod for this Unreal Tournament, but at least it is a good example of pretty standard melee weapons, roughly equivalent to those in TF2, working perfectly within the confines of UT games.
                              Im sorry but I dont agree, I like chaos but I dont think melee was its strongest point and plenty of the games used in the examples here have done it better. Thats not to say I dont think they could do a good job for this UT, I just dont see why we cant all do it together because that is what this UT is meant to be about. Im more than willing to work with anyone from the community but I have taken a quite open stance to development to follow Epics lead as sometimes someone finding the ugly is just what you need to progress and make things better, I find holding your cards close to your chest hurts iterative development and the end product. Thats the reason TF2 is such a great example, its not because its the epitome of gunplay or arena games, its just a **** fine example of outstanding community.

As far as Im aware there is only a Chaos ******* Sword, the topic here is much larger than 1 or even 2 melee weapons and I dont think its fair for one team to hoard anything, it should be about sharing with everyone.

Comment

Freeze. Finish him !

COUP DE GRACE !

Well I'm not against melee, but I think an option to enable/disable it would be necessary, so those who are much on the "traditional" side of ArenaFPS could still enjoy UT.

About the finishers :
                                In itself it won't be really usefull... it will probably a waste of time and people would probably prefer to just finish their opponents quickly to get the bonus asap, or even worse, let them bleed out (if there's a "downed" status).
                                However what would be interesting is combined with a gamemode that is about point gained by "style" rather than pure fragging. Kind in the idea of Bulletstorm, you get more points doing impressive moves (an finishers) rather then just killing and move on. But that might be the subject of another topic.

Is it possible to maybe start a poll to know what kind of melee players would prefer ?
                                -Classic quick melee (stock hit, kicks, punch with weapons in hand)
                                -Arcade weapon melee (More in the vein of the impact hammer)
                                -Fighting game melee (Medieval weapons, more of what is in the vein of RPG and brawler like games)

If you got any other categories in mind please tell them !

Comment

Working...
                                X