No announcement yet.

Melee Weapons in the Unreal Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never ever been in favor of long animations like in Gears of War. When I think grappling, I think of a move to counter a block that could then be a headbutt. Or drop the classic fighting game triangle and use grappling as an actual One-hit kill finisher from behind like neck breaking in the Splinter Cell: Merc VS SPies series but in this badass UT, could be just grab the head of the dude and smash it to the ground, break his spine with knee strikes, etc. Something quick. We aren't talking about the slow head stomp in GoW or Chainsaw kills. Always talking about something quick, nimble, skillful and badass. Something UT. Dodge to the back of someone and back break him... oahhh!

About melee...
    I'd like to see a type of melee that not only knocks back players physically, but can also take advantage of level design. Let's say you could charge melee button to kick (knock back effect) or dodge + melee = check or power punch or whatever, then when it hits an opponent, that dude gets knocked back and if he hits the wall it can inflict extra damage. Players would think even more about how they position themselves in combat both in offense and defense.

For a grappling hook, I think there is something that can be taken from Gears of War with wall bouncing. In GoW, to use wall bouncing and shotguns was a craft. By pressing A, the characters slides and gets into cover. Well, that mechanic was working on a certain distance and higher level players could effectively use this mechanic in close quarter combat to dodge behind their opponents that were then facing the wrong direction getting destroyed by a shotgun shot from behind. Would be cool if a grappling hook could be used like a magnetic pull in CQB. Like some kind of dodge that works along with level design.
    Last edited by 3Dmatic; 02-28-2016, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
      Freeze. Finish him !

COUP DE GRACE !

Well I'm not against melee, but I think an option to enable/disable it would be necessary, so those who are much on the "traditional" side of ArenaFPS could still enjoy UT.

About the finishers :
      In itself it won't be really usefull... it will probably a waste of time and people would probably prefer to just finish their opponents quickly to get the bonus asap, or even worse, let them bleed out (if there's a "downed" status).
      However what would be interesting is combined with a gamemode that is about point gained by "style" rather than pure fragging. Kind in the idea of Bulletstorm, you get more points doing impressive moves (an finishers) rather then just killing and move on. But that might be the subject of another topic.
      I do have ideas on that but simply not enough time to work on anymore larger projects yet. I am looking for people to help me out, not just in the development but design as well because things will need to be adjusted along the way.

Youre not always right near your opponent when they go down, its not always safe either, say they had the amp and now there are 4 enemies around em with it. It gives a defensive and support options that wernt there previously and could work as a mutator for Showdown as well to really give that cinematic feel to the end of match, not to mention all it could add to CTF because you'll be teleporting back to the action less. I think Epic did a good job with Gears, its success speaks for itself, even against UT.

Is it possible to maybe start a poll to know what kind of melee players would prefer ?
      -Classic quick melee (stock hit, kicks, punch with weapons in hand)
      -Arcade weapon melee (More in the vein of the impact hammer)
      -Fighting game melee (Medieval weapons, more of what is in the vein of RPG and brawler like games)

If you got any other categories in mind please tell them !
      I think you might be onto something there with brawler like games, Id like to think that Melee is an extension of what we already have in the weapons so I think more in the vein of the Impact Hammer. I can certainly make up a poll but its going to be difficult if we ask people in that manner, I think the best idea is to ask indirect questions that lead to their tastes then we get wider less rehearsed responses. This topic is controversial, I get it, people think their UT will be ruined forever by feature X, if it simply doesnt work I'll be the first to admit it but Im really keen to give it a go but I cant do it alone.

Originally posted by 3Dmatic View Post
      I've never ever been in favor of long animations like in Gears of War. When I think grappling, I think of a move to counter a block that could then be a headbutt. Or drop the classic fighting game triangle and use grappling as an actual One-hit kill finisher from behind like neck breaking in the Splinter Cell: Merc VS SPies series but in this badass UT, could be just grab the head of the dude and smash it to the ground, break his spine with knee strikes, etc. Something quick. We aren't talking about the slow head stomp in GoW or Chainsaw kills. Always talking about something quick, nimble, skillful and badass. Something UT. Dodge to the back of someone and back break him... oahhh!
      This is my thoughts exactly, it should be more like Bulletstorm for UT, fast and frantic but for those skilled steady few, highly skilled. There are some good ones in Farcry 4 or Dying Light but even then, they just arnt the same as UT, slicing people in half is awesome but Id like to think we can come up with something more than just knives or swords. Personally I like the Gauntlet idea for Gorge but Malcolm having a knife makes sense for a Green Beret.

About melee...
      I'd like to see a type of melee that not only knocks back players physically, but can also take advantage of level design. Let's say you could charge melee button to kick (knock back effect) or dodge + melee = check or power punch or whatever, then when it hits an opponent, that dude gets knocked back and if he hits the wall it can inflict extra damage. Players would think even more about how they position themselves in combat both in offense and defense.
      I think you and I have a similar idea on what we want to see, we should totally start prototyping some ideas, I can see a simple bump when you sprint into another player being a good start, then extending it to when you dodge and test it out. Players already have a built in evasion with the dodge so the simple Attack would be the core thing to get feeling good. I honestly wouldnt mind being able to shove team mates too sometimes :P

Next stop Slope Dodge to Wall Dodge to Tatsumaki Senpukyaku finish hehe
      Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
        Freeze. Finish him !

COUP DE GRACE !

Well I'm not against melee, but I think an option to enable/disable it would be necessary, so those who are much on the "traditional" side of ArenaFPS could still enjoy UT.

About the finishers :
        In itself it won't be really usefull... it will probably a waste of time and people would probably prefer to just finish their opponents quickly to get the bonus asap, or even worse, let them bleed out (if there's a "downed" status).
        However what would be interesting is combined with a gamemode that is about point gained by "style" rather than pure fragging. Kind in the idea of Bulletstorm, you get more points doing impressive moves (an finishers) rather then just killing and move on. But that might be the subject of another topic.

I do have ideas on that but simply not enough time to work on anymore larger projects yet. I am looking for people to help me out, not just in the development but design as well because things will need to be adjusted along the way.

Youre not always right near your opponent when they go down, its not always safe either, say they had the amp and now there are 4 enemies around em with it. It gives a defensive and support options that wernt there previously and could work as a mutator for Showdown as well to really give that cinematic feel to the end of match, not to mention all it could add to CTF because you'll be teleporting back to the action less. I think Epic did a good job with Gears, its success speaks for itself, even against UT.

Is it possible to maybe start a poll to know what kind of melee players would prefer ?
        -Classic quick melee (stock hit, kicks, punch with weapons in hand)
        -Arcade weapon melee (More in the vein of the impact hammer)
        -Fighting game melee (Medieval weapons, more of what is in the vein of RPG and brawler like games)

If you got any other categories in mind please tell them !
        I think you might be onto something there with brawler like games, Id like to think that Melee is an extension of what we already have in the weapons so I think more in the vein of the Impact Hammer. I can certainly make up a poll but its going to be difficult if we ask people in that manner, I think the best idea is to ask indirect questions that lead to their tastes then we get wider less rehearsed responses. This topic is controversial, I get it, people think their UT will be ruined forever by feature X, if it simply doesnt work I'll be the first to admit it but Im really keen to give it a go but I cant do it alone.

This is my thoughts exactly, it should be more like Bulletstorm for UT, fast and frantic but for those skilled steady few, highly skilled. There are some good ones in Farcry 4 or Dying Light but even then, they just arnt the same as UT, slicing people in half is awesome but Id like to think we can come up with something more than just knives or swords. Personally I like the Gauntlet idea for Gorge but Malcolm having a knife makes sense for a Green Beret.

About melee...
        I think you and I have a similar idea on what we want to see, we should totally start prototyping some ideas, I can see a simple bump when you sprint into another player being a good start, then extending it to when you dodge and test it out. Players already have a built in evasion with the dodge so the simple Attack would be the core thing to get feeling good. I honestly wouldnt mind being able to shove team mates too sometimes :P

Next stop Slope Dodge to Wall Dodge to Tatsumaki Senpukyaku finish hehe
        Since we are getting into a bit more depth about different kinds of Melee (Classic quick melee, Arcade weapon melee, Fighting game melee etc...), [MENTION=891]MonsOlympus[/MENTION], [MENTION=14867]Darkloser[/MENTION] and [MENTION=259189]3Dmatic[/MENTION], have a look at my brother's game that he is developing: Run Gun Sword Punch Kick
        Any ideas or suggestion, just post into that thread on the UE4 forums.

For those that don't know, once you are logged into UT Forum, if you go across to UE4 forum it will automatically create you an account and log you in.

The video shows and his post states that it is third person and local play, but it will have the option for network play, FPS, wall running, dodging etc.... He just wanted to get the core working first before expanding out too far.

Inspired from Rune, Bushido Blade, Halo and Die by the Sword

Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

Can't help you there, I possess none of these skills.

But GoW is far more slow paced (in the sense that you don't jump and run everywhere) and make extensive use of cover. Giving the opponent a way to counter it. In UT such a thing isn't present, you use mainly your movements and dodging skills to avoid attacks, and being a sitting is pretty much sign your death. The point of a "downed" state is to be incapacitated (so unable to make important actions), your opponent will then have no difficulty to just finish you off. And it will be more beneficial to him to do it quickly and go grab all weapons/bonus he can before you come back, or even simply let you bleed out (if you're alone) to get even more time. Combined with the relative movement speed you have in UT (and eventually the Trans) it will just be a really frustrating experience, and rather an unecessary penalty for people that already have to deal with a malus.
          At least for the current and classic gamemodes.

With an adapted gamemode playing around impressive move, where your goal is more to make a show so the public supports you, it will however be pretty neat ! And it even really fit with Unreal actually. The Tournament is also a way for some fighters to earn a strong Fanbase with a lot of performance.

Well I suggested a poll so everyone can better what's the overall idea that players want. Then we could think more precisely about it.
          Asking immediatly precise idea will make this difficult to compile in one clear direction.

Also while I can understand some concern about UT eventually loosing what makes it UT, I think the variety of creating options offered by the game was it's main strenght. People created some incredible things, sometimes being completely different from what was the core game, yet you could always jump from one to another without restriction and get fun everywhere. So I don't know why people are so hostile to ideas like this, when it's not even suggested as the "core" of the game but rather an eventual optional addition.

Are we doing another Unreal Championship ?
          Fists for the Jug, Razik for the Skaarj, Staff for Malc... wait what ? A staff ?

Comment

With an adapted gamemode playing around impressive move, where your goal is more to make a show so the public supports you, it will however be pretty neat ! And it even really fit with Unreal actually. The Tournament is also a way for some fighters to earn a strong Fanbase with a lot of performance.
            This sounds interesting, are you talking about some kind of willpower you exert on your opponent as you fight, so the more impressive you are the more damage kinda thing you do? That could possibly cause some bias towards the winner though, unless there were breakers and cooldowns, certainly dont want it degenerating to one weaker opponent hiding all the time.

Also while I can understand some concern about UT eventually loosing what makes it UT, I think the variety of creating options offered by the game was it's main strenght. People created some incredible things, sometimes being completely different from what was the core game, yet you could always jump from one to another without restriction and get fun everywhere. So I don't know why people are so hostile to ideas like this, when it's not even suggested as the "core" of the game but rather an eventual optional addition.

Are we doing another Unreal Championship ?
            Fists for the Jug, Razik for the Skaarj, Staff for Malc... wait what ? A staff ?
            I want to avoid that honestly, Id like to think any character could use the melee moves/weapons that are added. I just want more versatility and diversity in the gunplay, I know we have purists in the audience but I would love to see UT support FP melee only mode, its one thing fans of FPS games do quite alot but to have it in the UT universe would only increase its potential. I just had this vision of a darker UT, one along more of a dystopia cyberpunk mixed with roman arenas, perhaps Mad Max in space would be a good eg lol, they say in the intro how much the crowd loves the carnage and melee really lets you get in there close and personal which does kinda follow a theme this UT has going on.
            Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

This sounds interesting, are you talking about some kind of willpower you exert on your opponent as you fight, so the more impressive you are the more damage kinda thing you do? That could possibly cause some bias towards the winner though, unless there were breakers and cooldowns, certainly dont want it degenerating to one weaker opponent hiding all the time.
              I haven't put a lot of thought into this, it's just an idea that came out of my mind.
              A first quick idea would be similar to Bulletstorm. Just fragging will get you few points, probably the lowest amount in the mode. But if for exemple you killed two people with one shock combo, you'll get a lot more points, the final goal would be similar to any gamemode i.e get the most points.
              Now this is just a first base, you could have variation like the possibility to loose points if you're doing really poor moves.
              Just to clarify the points would be "Audience points" which would explain why they fluctuate.

Now it's not really the topic of this thread, it might be good to open another thread to discuss this, but I personnally have no skill to create any kind of gamemode. I don't even know how the BP system works.

I want to avoid that honestly, Id like to think any character could use the melee moves/weapons that are added. I just want more versatility and diversity in the gunplay, I know we have purists in the audience but I would love to see UT support FP melee only mode, its one thing fans of FPS games do quite alot but to have it in the UT universe would only increase its potential. I just had this vision of a darker UT, one along more of a dystopia cyberpunk mixed with roman arenas, perhaps Mad Max in space would be a good eg lol, they say in the intro how much the crowd loves the carnage and melee really lets you get in there close and personal which does kinda follow a theme this UT has going on.
              I'm all for experimentation. If it's good, it's good, if it fails... well it fails obviously. It's not like we're changing the core of UT, we're suggesting a new option/mode.

You think Unreal isn't a dark universe in itself ?
              I mean we're talking of a society were countless people watch combattant fights to the death for their entertainment and political plot and profit, while external war and crimes are still strongly present. And sometimes even encouraged. It's already a kind of dystopia. So you certainly not have to add a lot to it.

Some melee weapons/moves can definitely be used by all factions/races, however I think a few of them should remain exclusives because of the lore. Mainly, the Raziks of the Skaarj, maybe the "augmented" fists of the Jugg (but it will be used the same way as any fist, just more lethal and probably slower as well).

Comment

Some melee weapons/moves can definitely be used by all factions/races, however I think a few of them should remain exclusives because of the lore. Mainly, the Raziks of the Skaarj, maybe the "augmented" fists of the Jugg (but it will be used the same way as any fist, just more lethal and probably slower as well).
                It adds personality thats forsure and I dont think it does it at the same cost as full player classes if its unique melee only. One possibility is a race based pickup which is "fists" but that means different things for each race.

Comment

Well I suggested a poll so everyone can better what's the overall idea that players want. Then we could think more precisely about it.
                  Asking immediatly precise idea will make this difficult to compile in one clear direction.
                  The issue with polls is if you ask in here youre likely to get a negative response, not because people dont want it but because people who like these types of features get alienated by the community. Its not hard to notice that there are alot of politics that happen and that drive development rather than whats best for the game (or worst cuz cmon no ones ideas are always 100%) or what will make the game more popular and retain the most amount of players.

Its easy to see the Arena Shooter niche rear its head but I really dont think UT should be about that if it wants to grow up into a big esport. Clearly the gore here is going to be difficult to tone down so this feature can only be for adults in most countries, which does follow the rating of the game but at the same time, perhaps no gore should be the standard for lowering the bar to entry. Thats what Melee can really do for UT and what it needs, people will step up from more "for fun" mods like this into Tournament proper so I really think everyone should start getting behind each other more.

It really is a bridge between worlds and the traffic will flow both ways, I see no reason to limit UT to the same tiny core experience we got with the original. I just want to work with other people doing similar things to reduce workload, if we share frameworks, standards or just code snippets we can get alot further.

Anyways I just wanted to mention if you do have an interest in learning Darkloser or know anyone that is I can make myself available to run through some BP Im more than happy to discuss ideas with you in this Fourever mod thread.

Comment

The issue with polls is if you ask in here youre likely to get a negative response, not because people dont want it but because people who like these types of features get alienated by the community. Its not hard to notice that there are alot of politics that happen and that drive development rather than whats best for the game (or worst cuz cmon no ones ideas are always 100%) or what will make the game more popular and retain the most amount of players.
                    @Darkloser I would have to agree with @MonsOlympus on this, which is why I posted my brother's game in previous post.

I hope it didn't come across a blatant product placement, but it was because I don't think melee in general is well receive by the current community, which when I reread my post, it seems that I forgot to include that observation.

UT is typically all about the guns, it is a First Person Shooter , but I too believe there is room to have Melee within the UT4 experience.

Comment

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
                      UT is typically all about the guns, it is a First Person Shooter , but I too believe there is room to have Melee within the UT4 experience.
                      Yeah I think [MENTION=259189]3Dmatic[/MENTION] has the right idea with their post in regards to UT in general, when you at the list of modern FPS games, pretty much all of them have more way more extensive Melee and its not even a feature new to Arena Shooters in general. At the dawn of it all Duke Nukem had the kick and look at Bulletstorm for instance. So many its not funny from Ubisoft to EA to Bethesda, they all have an FPS game with reasonably extensive Melee considering the genre to the point I cant list them.

Things like temporary buffs you can trigger via UI as seen in Brink, Farcry, Crysis... There are just so many really that you need to go above and beyond to really stand out. UT is pretty lean in its gameplay and its showing its age, not because I dont think the original UT was the best thing ever but because its 2016.

Comment

there is literally no reason to have melee attack in ut as impact hammer is a melee gun and there is no reason why a fist shall do any dmg to heavily armored enemy.

Comment

Yeah I think @3Dmatic has the right idea with their post in regards to UT in general,
                          This one @MonsOlympus?

Always talking about something quick, nimble, skillful and badass. Something UT. Dodge to the back of someone and back break him... oahhh!

About melee...
                          when you at the list of modern FPS games, pretty much all of them have more way more extensive Melee and its not even a feature new to Arena Shooters in general. At the dawn of it all Duke Nukem had the kick and look at Bulletstorm for instance. So many its not funny from Ubisoft to EA to Bethesda, they all have an FPS game with reasonably extensive Melee considering the genre to the point I cant list them.

Things like temporary buffs you can trigger via UI as seen in Brink, Farcry, Crysis... There are just so many really that you need to go above and beyond to really stand out. UT is pretty lean in its gameplay and its showing its age, not because I dont think the original UT was the best thing ever but because its 2016.
                          I remember when we first found the kick key in Duke Nukem 3d, that was a lot of fun

As you've pointed out too many to list FPS have Melee and it is 2016, so Melee wouldn't be out of place. I just think the old guard / current community may not be as receptive.

I think a Dodge Kick Melee would really be the cleanest way to bring it into general gameplay without having to introduce or replace any weapons.
                          Combining the thoughts of [MENTION=259189]3Dmatic[/MENTION] and [MENTION=258989]exo7341[/MENTION]

I meant to quote it sooner for you to see @MonsOlympus.

Background / History
                          Originally posted by exo7341 View Post
                          Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
                          Use the butt of your gun as a melee weapon.

It would require a third button to activate.

No need to waste time in weapon switch for a close quarter attack.
                          Maybe it is possible to make a kick/push via wall-dodging functionality. I mean you'd be able to "wall-dodge" off other players (which results in them being hard pushed/kicked). It's even easier now - with larger scale characters. As a bonus this could create new possibilities for "aerial acrobatics" - imagine mid-air mutual pushes or team-mate assisted long-juming (situation based - for pits, holes etc).
                          Check & double leg kick
                          What if the user could dodge and then press a key such as Spacebar to check an opponent?
                          Or perform a walldodge and then press a key such as Spacebar to perform a Double Leg kick?
                          Last edited by richardboegli; 03-01-2016, 04:59 AM. Reason: @mentions

Comment

Originally posted by R.Riddick View Post
                            there is literally no reason to have melee attack in ut as impact hammer is a melee gun and there is no reason why a fist shall do any dmg to heavily armored enemy.
                            Fair point, but given that this is UNREAL and these characters are able to wield ridiculously large weaponry, wouldn't they have super strength to begin with?

Impact Hammer has charge time and weapon switch delay.

While having additional Melee weapons would be great. I think a Dodge Kick Melee would really be the cleanest way to bring it into general gameplay without having to introduce or replace any weapons.
                            [MENTION=11834]R.Riddick[/MENTION] you posted while I was writing my other post

Comment

[MENTION=259874]richardboegli[/MENTION] regardless of which direction we go there needs to be some way of testing it to make sure it works online etc. As youve noticed you and I are near Aus and Im sure there are other Australians around who might like to help test, its not as easy as playing though cuz the feedback is crucial to making sure its a good feature.

I would like to see a Sprint Slide Melee as well so you can kick people that way too, get em up in the air for extra damage for eg. Need to get it on some servers

Comment

if kick is only knock back no damage it would kind of make sense

Comment

Working...
                                X