Melee Weapons in the Unreal Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel like I got crushed by a fully charged IH. T^T

People that don't want melee at all can go screw themselves !
    No seriously... I'm talking about things that are optional, you can keep your vanilla mode as much as you want. Previous UT had modes with new guns... sometimes military, sometimes totally WTF... So because UT already had guns it shouldn't have more guns ?
    Anyway I'm open to anything, I'm more for the side of "try it". The community will be able to choose what they prefer by itself no ?
    What is better, have a large pool of choices so most people can enjoy it ? Or just restrict everything so only the pure hardcore fan will play it ? I'm repeating myself, but it's about things that are AN OPTION !

@MonsOlympus, thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind (I'm watching the thread currently) but I'm a kind of lazy guy.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
      @richardboegli regardless of which direction we go there needs to be some way of testing it to make sure it works online etc. As youve noticed you and I are near Aus and Im sure there are other Australians around who might like to help test, its not as easy as playing though cuz the feedback is crucial to making sure its a good feature.
      Agreed.
      I would like to see a Sprint Slide Melee as well so you can kick people that way too, get em up in the air for extra damage for eg. Need to get it on some servers
      I like that idea.

How about if the Sprint Slide Melee actually kicked the player over, like when you feign death and the opponent drops their current weapon.
      Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

Originally posted by R.Riddick View Post
        if kick is only knock back no damage it would kind of make sense
        I think it should give some damage or maybe knock the current weapon out of their hand.

Otherwise it is not worth it.

The opponent also has to wait for weapon switch delay before next weapon comes up.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
          I feel like I got crushed by a fully charged IH. T^T
          hehe, not my intent at all!

People that don't want melee at all can go screw themselves !
          No seriously... I'm talking about things that are optional, you can keep your vanilla mode as much as you want.
          I was referring to vanilla UT in general with my guns comment.

Previous UT had modes with new guns... sometimes military, sometimes totally WTF... So because UT already had guns it shouldn't have more guns ?
          What is better, have a large pool of choices so most people can enjoy it ?
          Or just restrict everything so only the pure hardcore fan will play it ?
          I'm repeating myself, but it's about things that are AN OPTION !
          I'm all for as many weird and wacky mods / mutators etc.... it allows you to mix it up a bit, but stay within the same community.
          People who want to play Vanilla UT can play it, others can choose other options.

Anyway I'm open to anything, I'm more for the side of "try it". The community will be able to choose what they prefer by itself no ?
          Yes, groups will form within the community which will support certain mods etc...

Comment

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
            Yes, groups will form within the community which will support certain mods etc...
            That my thinking but its not so much splitting people up, I think players will naturally gravitate to a state which is best for everyone, whatever that might be. There will also be waves as modes gain popularity and dwindle as other modes take their place, its just the way things go with entertainment I think cuz audiences get bored of being fed the same thing.
            Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

That my thinking but its not so much splitting people up, I think players will naturally gravitate to a state which is best for everyone, whatever that might be. There will also be waves as modes gain popularity and dwindle as other modes take their place, its just the way things go with entertainment I think cuz audiences get bored of being fed the same thing.
              Yep. Consumers interest fades over time.

This is why Angry Birds was super popular, then words with friends, then Candy Crush etc....

E-sports is a way to keep the audience's attention.

Comment

[MENTION=259874]richardboegli[/MENTION] lol youre right, remember that Farmville craze when everyones mums and grandmas wanted to add you on Facebook to play it with them.

E-Sports creates a layer over the top as well with the broadcasting, you can see these soap operas unfold within the ranks of the telecasters as with Dota 2 recently. Theres been alot of scandal in e-sports but I think that creates intrigue amongst the regulars and they want to know more like, oh what does Kim Kardashians **** look like with a champagne glass on it, so I wont deny it generates a massive pull.
                Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

E-sports should give a way for competitors to match up more easily (for prize pool), and be entertaining to watch for the audience.
                  A game of pong will certainly be boring to watch, that's why we need MOAR 'SPLOSIONS !

Put some carzy explosive punches ! AND EXPLOSIVE KICKS !

Comment

Just watched Brother play Destiny as he just got his sword.

It needs AMMO to be able to be used as a sword, as it powers up like a light saber.

Without ammo the player is able to punch with the sword in hand.

Watching him slide and punch into opponents was AWESOME.

It made me want to post this post.

Comment

E-sports should give a way for competitors to match up more easily (for prize pool), and be entertaining to watch for the audience.
                      A game of pong will certainly be boring to watch, that's why we need MOAR 'SPLOSIONS !

Put some carzy explosive punches ! AND EXPLOSIVE KICKS !
                      Shotgun fists like Yang from RWBY... its almost like having a Flak cannon on each arm....

Comment

That's not enough ! You should have redeemers attached to these gauntlets !

And if two fist punch each other it makes a mega redeemer explosion !

Comment

That's not enough ! You should have redeemers attached to these gauntlets !

And if two fist punch each other it makes a mega redeemer explosion !
                          Hehe, so you'd kill yourself in the process?

I agree if two people punch each other at the same time there should be a significant impulse that knocks both players backwards.

Comment

The melee Battleborn looks interesting:

Comment

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
                              The melee Battleborn looks interesting:

Spoiler
                              This is a prime example of why I think UT needs to take itself more seriously! You can still have fun with it, you gotta think that if bloodsport is legalized people become more desensitized to violence but look at the humour and lightheartness of this clip. It would be better I think if Epic tried to aim for a slightly older target audience, I mean I think Borderlands is great but I know its not really aimed directly at my age people, I liked it more for its gameplay it was cool to have an RPG Shooter for a change, Co-op helps too.

I think UT should be Co-op, I think if you start the game up with a friend you should be able to play some SP Ladder together on the same team, thats far superior as it lets 2 people learn to play as a team as well rather than just Solo with bots. If those two people graduate to online then they can still be on the same team against others in 2v2 or if theres 3, 3v3. TDM is a hard gamemode but when you know your team its more rewarding, this would contrast to people going to FFA and might provide a better entry point. Alittle bit off track here...

I think Melee in UT should be serious, Skaarj could laugh at puny humans and make remarks about gutting them for instance, it might sound ultra-violent but older gamers will understand the humour better. Maybe more of a 16+ audience than 13<, they grew up on games with these features, if they know Quake, Doom etc its from the newer games, like CS. I just know Melee only is a popular mode in other FPS games and it has potential to be its own thing for once, it shouldnt just be a gentlemans rule

Comment

This is a prime example of why I think UT needs to take itself more seriously! You can still have fun with it, you gotta think that if bloodsport is legalized people become more desensitized to violence but look at the humour and lightheartness of this clip. It would be better I think if Epic tried to aim for a slightly older target audience, I mean I think Borderlands is great but I know its not really aimed directly at my age people, I liked it more for its gameplay it was cool to have an RPG Shooter for a change, Co-op helps too.
                                D'oh, My excessive brevity strikes again. Sorry about that.

I only put this video to show the different melee options. I was not show casing it for its art style, humour or lightheartness.

I think UT should be Co-op, I think if you start the game up with a friend you should be able to play some SP Ladder together on the same team, thats far superior as it lets 2 people learn to play as a team as well rather than just Solo with bots. If those two people graduate to online then they can still be on the same team against others in 2v2 or if theres 3, 3v3. TDM is a hard gamemode but when you know your team its more rewarding, this would contrast to people going to FFA and might provide a better entry point. Alittle bit off track here...
                                Have a look at @VfourA idea here: Thread: Campaign Mode - To help draw in new players

I think Melee in UT should be serious, Skaarj could laugh at puny humans and make remarks about gutting them for instance, it might sound ultra-violent but older gamers will understand the humour better. Maybe more of a 16+ audience than 13<, they grew up on games with these features, if they know Quake, Doom etc its from the newer games, like CS. I just know Melee only is a popular mode in other FPS games and it has potential to be its own thing for once, it shouldnt just be a gentlemans rule
                                Running around meleeing unreal monsters in an #Invasion game mode is going to be A LOT of fun! Can't wait!

Comment

Working...
                                X