Faction weapons for Steve's loadout system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faction weapons for Steve's loadout system

It is current year and in the last stream Steve mentioned that they intend a loadout system for the new UT. Now before blowing this WAY out of proportion, here's my suggestion to a loadout system that would still keep a lot of traditional stuff about UT.

There are all these different factions in UT and I say factions because in the current Unreal universe I think it would make more sense to have them instead of the classic teams (Factions: Liandri, Izanagi, Axon, Phayder Necris (Black Legion), Rebel Necris, Skaarj, Skaarj Hybrid, Nali, Gen Mo'Kai...). If you played most of the Unreal games, you'll know that each has it's own quarrel with the other, which could make up some interesting conversations between the characters during the game.

Anyways, the idea here is, that each faction would have it's own, improved version of one of the already existing weapons, which would replace the weapon spawner for that specific weapon for the players who use the character of that faction.

These weapons would be by design objectively better than their usual counterparts, while still maintaining the weapons intended use!

Some examples:

• The Izanagi could have a Flak Cannon in their own far-eastern theme, called Dragon's Breath Flak Cannon, which could set players on fire, if they take a hit from too close - again, strictly only at close range, to keep it a close range weapon, as intended. Just more potent.
    • The Liandry could have the Lightning gun replace the Sniper Rifle, which on hit could bounce to nearby units and inflict damage!
    • The Axon could have the legacy 3-pack Rocket launcher - load 3 rockets and fire them simultaneously.
    • The Necris could have the Nano-black Bio Rifle, which could have the old high damage cap on the loaded blob, but inflict it over time like in UT3. Additionally the primary fire could squirt liquid, which on touch of any surface would create huge crystals, which effectively seal off areas! Eats up ammo rapidly.
    • The Skaarj Hybrid could have the Legacy Minigun with the long range rapid-fire hitscan firing mode instead of the tyradium crystals.
    • The Skaarj could have the Claws replace the Impacthammer. It would essentially turn the Skaarj into a melee focused faction. While using the Claws, they run always at sprint speed and can use the primary fire to do the classic jump-piercing attack if combined with a forward dodge. Otherwise they do the spinning-slash attack. Alt-fire would create the classic shield for them, which would absorbe damage. Of course, they wouldn't be able to hammer-jumps, so the claws would allow them to climb up walls for about the height of a charged hammerjump. Then they would start slowly sliding down the wall.
    • The Nali could have a nerfed version of the UT3 PhysX Gravity Gun replacing the Shock rifle. The alt-fire projectiles would slightly pull in nearby enemies if it passes near them or if somebody walks into it's trail. Doesn't detonate on it's own like in UT3.
      • Or you know, something from the NaliWeapons mods.

• Imho the Link Gun is a little bit overpowered now with the link-pull function, so I would give this the Gen Mo'Kai, while the regular Link Gun wouldn't have this link-pull function.

And the list could go on...
    Last edited by InVader; 01-17-2016, 08:56 PM.
    Check out my work!
    | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
    | Localization

Isn't that similar in some way with that mutator that gives different stats depending on the race ? (Species statistics).
    Also will it be a new game mode, or a mutator, or what ?
    A "Faction war" mode could be fun, giving each faction/race special attributes.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
      Isn't that similar in some way with that mutator that gives different stats depending on the race ? (Species statistics).
      Also will it be a new game mode, or a mutator, or what ?
      A "Faction war" mode could be fun, giving each faction/race special attributes.
      Never heard of such a mod.

Anyways I intended for this to be available in all game modes. Every playable character would be part of some Faction. Every Faction would have it's own special weapon available for it's own characters. If you watched last weeks stream, Epic mention they want loadouts in UT. I think this kind of loadout system would mess the least with what UT is at its heart. These weapons are not given to you when you spawn. You still need to pick them up. Only the spawner for the respective weapon gets replaced on the map.

So far each character is part of some faction if you payed attention: e.g. Samael character is part of the Black Legion, which are the mind-controlled Necris created by the Phayder corporation. There are also rebel Necris, which got free of the mind control and have their own free will.

Then there's the red paint-over version of Samael (don't remember the name anymore) which belongs to Blood Moon or something like that. I guess those are the rebels? I dunno.

Garlog/Dominator - obviously some sort of Skaarj.

Malcolm - ex-ThunderC(r)ash in UT3 he was with Izanagi, not sure where Epic will take him now. He's always where the money is.

Lauren and Brock - officers in Axon's elite enforcement, the Iron Guards.

Taye - now he is a new character and has several skins. I'd say it would make sense if all of them were special operating units of the same Faction, much like how Iron Guards is part of Axon or like how Black Legion is part of Phayder.
      Last edited by InVader; 01-17-2016, 08:57 PM.
      Check out my work!
      | Localization

Comment

Thank you but I already know the characters and their factions. Appreciate the will to help however.

The Species Statistics mutator (UT2k4 mutator) gave each Species diffferent increase or decrease in their stats like Air dodge, Ground dodge, walking speed, acceleration etc... The Juggernauts for exemple where more resistant to damage than the others, but also slower in their movements.

I think creating a Faction mode, or rather mutator so you can apply it in any gametype, combiing both the stats changes and weapons and/or vehicles bonus/restrictions could add some funs and little twists in the game.

I haven't seen the last Stream, I should check it, but what do they mean exactly by loadout ? For cosmetics only or for gameplay as well like TF2, or COD, or any shooter currently...

Comment

Those are some cool ideas, I especially like the Nano black bio rifle idea.

I hope loadouts are not to be the standard, but an option or for game modes like warfare.

Comment

I'm sure Loadouts in the context Steve mentioned means: 1 person starts the match with the Sniper Rifle, 1 person starts the match with Rocket Launcher, 2 people start the match with either Link or Minigun, etc. Basically a light per-spawn class system.
            Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

If I kill an opponent that carries a specific (class) weapon, will I pick up that weapon?

Anyway, I'm concerned about this. Loadouts ruined Quake Live and I wouldn't play an Arena FPS that doesn't feel as a real Arena FPS.
              Source(https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...s-autohopping/)

If this system will be well balanced and not noob-like, I think that the InVader ideas are really good.

-Luigi Rapetta
              (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
              Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                I'm sure Loadouts in the context Steve mentioned means: 1 person starts the match with the Sniper Rifle, 1 person starts the match with Rocket Launcher, 2 people start the match with either Link or Minigun, etc. Basically a light per-spawn class system.
                Eh... this is what QuakeLive has done and it is the one thing I would like to avoid. Look at the response they got for doing it. C'mon, let's not make the same mistake ourselves.

Picking up specific weapons so the other player doesn't get them is a very important strategy. You can focus on picking up long range weapons like the shock rifle, sniper and minigun so that the other player has no means to respond when you engage in a long-range fight.

It's simply the wrong way of doing loadouts in a game like this. It works in casual shooters, but not in UT. UT is a competitive game and as such, it doesn't need depth taken away from it. Not only that, it's an oldschool shooter too. My idea would add even more depth without taking away any, because I would only put these weapons in the weapon spawner and only for the player(s) of that Faction.

Whether the enemy should be able to pick up the faction weapon from the player he just killed could be up to debate. I'd prefer the enemy players couldn't pick it up, because that would give them a way too big advantage. Imagine an Izanagi Ghost Warrior with both the Dragon's Breath Flak AND the Nali's Gravity Gun. He'd be very difficult to beat at both close and long range. Although the Nali can eliminate at least the long range advantage by picking up a Gravity Gun from the spawner again, his own Faction weapon wouldn't give him any advantage in it's given situation anymore, because both players have that weapon.
                Last edited by InVader; 01-17-2016, 08:57 PM.
                Check out my work!
                | Localization

Comment

Working...
                X