X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aiming Down the Sights

I'm going to open a can of worms here.

Aiming Down the Sights.
    A staple of most modern shooters, but never done in UT. Kinda-sorta implemented in a 3rd person OTS (Over The Shoulder) way in Gears. Let's assume we all have 3 mouse buttons so as not to interfere with primary/alt-fire.

Yes. We have to get with the times and move ahead.

or...

No. It's just not UT and will slow the game down.
    Yes. Let's get with the times and advance the game.
    3.33%
    No. It's just not UT, and will slow the game down.
    96.67%

The poll is expired.

Protocol is our alt-fire function.

I don't even know what this means
    When you open a thread, explain, not everybody play modern shooters or Gears of War

Comment

Originally posted by van Kuss View Post
      When you open a thread, explain, not everybody play modern shooters or Gears of War
      Apologies: ADS, or Aiming down the Sights, vs. Open Sight games, and Hybrid OTS aiming...
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Open Sight Independent Crosshair.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	328506

Name:	Open Sight.jpg
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	328507

Name:	Hybrid Aiming.jpg
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	328508

Name:	ADS Custom Reticles.png
Size:	820.7 KB
ID:	328509

Name:	ADS Point of View.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	328510

Comment

Aiming down sights is not a bad mechanic in itself, and I don't mind it if I have a scope with magnification, but I personally prefer to no-scope when I can. I don't think this mechanic fits Unreal Tournament.

Name:	aint+nobody.jpg
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	328505

Plus, most people don't have a mouse with three buttons, and clicking the scroll wheel doesn't feel good.
        Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

Originally posted by van Kuss View Post
          Then probably the only way you could connect with the discussion would be to take some time out to learn and play some modern shooters, gears of war, or watch some gameplay video on YT.

As far as aiming down the sights goes overall it could have a tendency to slow down the great frenzied pace of UT and in many scenarios would likely be ditched as it could just get in the way. That being said, having shooting from the hip or down the sights as a configurable option could give everyone what they want although you don't want to ruin the balance by giving down the sights any kind of major accuracy or damage advantage.

Comment

Thanks for clarification. But how will this work with most (well, all) weapons in UT? As far as I know none of them has an in-built crosshair

Then probably the only way you could connect with the discussion would be to take some time out to learn and play some modern shooters, gears of war, or watch some gameplay video on YT.
            Mmh no? I don't like these games, I just wanted to know what this thing was

Comment

Er, sniper rifle? You would be surprised how many can wall-jump and land headshots with the Lightning Gun while airborne.

Comment

The sniper has already its secondary fire that acts like a sight/scope...

Comment

Moving on from confused poster....

Comment

This is a fast shooter not a slow one
                    "For those willing to build a mount of bones and climb to the top, in environments that stun, against AI that kills, for those willing to stake their lives in pursuit of victory, we salute you."

Comment

I'm indifferent. Does UT need ADS? No. Would it benefit from it? Maybe. Would it harm UT? Maybe. It all boils down to how it's implemented.

It should never be something you have to do in order to be accurate or stay competitive. The Ballistic Weapons mod for UT2k4 proves that iron sights could work as an option without becoming necessary or giving an advantage to those who use it over those who do not.

If ADS were to be implemented:

- Movement speed while aiming must NOT be affected.
                      - Weapons must be just as accurate when aiming than when not aiming so as not to interrupt the game's flow.
                      - It must be unobtrusive and not overly obstruct view.

Again, it must remain thoroughly optional, and be there as a mostly cosmetic option, in order to make aiming a more natural thing for those who have played a lot of ADS games. As a real-life shooter, I personally feel a game is lacking when there is no ability to engage some sort of sighting system for aiming, but that's just in general.

As long as it is applied carefully, and only for certain weapons, I don't see the problem. And it might make some players happier, to boot.

Comment

I could only see this being useful on larger maps where you want to take some more precise shots at a distance and this just doesn't feel UT to me. You have the sniper for that and a pulse rifle can do it's fair share of long range precision damage regardless of ADS. I think it could see the fast and frantic style of UT slow down with ADS implemented. Plus I don't have a 3 button mouse so I'd be forced to buy one just for this (yeah I'm cheap lol).

Comment

Originally posted by InvertXnY View Post
                          I could only see this being useful on larger maps where you want to take some more precise shots at a distance and this just doesn't feel UT to me.
                          I know we're in agreement but having ADS in UT does not help aim no matter how far away someone is.

In theory every UT uses ADS but the gun is just positioned differently.

Considering I play with weapons hidden, I don't mind what Epic does here. Although it seems as though it just cause problems with alt firing.

Edit: Actually if ADS was brought in (like CoD or similar) then firing without aiming would cause the gun to be less accurate and not shoot exactly where the crosshair is. It would mean we'd all be holding down the right mouse button constantly. IMO aiming should be kept to the same as every other UT.
                          Last edited by utMental; 05-14-2014, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Na View Post
                            I'm going to open a can of worms here.

Aiming Down the Sights.
                            Let's get with the times and advance the game.
                            Please explain to me what about this "advances" the game?
                            Wanted for crimes against the English Language.

Comment

Tribes Ascend (Yeah yeah, I know.) has sights bound to shift. Crouch could be default ctrl, making the mouse able to use both prim and secondary fires. However, not all weapons need to have scope. Sniper rifle and maybe some other mid-long range ones might, but in general I don't know how much it would help UT.

A zoom/night vision combo might be interesting, although it's not like it's hard to pick out a giant blue powersuit from a level. And that could be used on weapons without scopes, which I guess would help with recon, but not much else.

Comment

Working...
                              X