Aiming Down the Sights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ojrask View Post
    That Deck17 version is shipped with UDK. The lighting looks like that (better than UT3) because of Lightmass, which was added to UDK. UT3 lacks Lightmass, so the static lighting doesn't look as good in it. Try searching for UDK Deck17, maybe someone has converted the general level lighting for a UT3 version (the sunlight, etc.).
    Thanks for the info, it's appreciated

Comment

On the topic. Aiming sights in UT? No. But I asked, in a thread I deleted, the devs to build the weapons after how they'd be build in reality, with actual sights on the weapon model, because the combatants would need a way to aim, the player, however, does not.

So with the sights already modeled on the gun, nothing could stop you from writing a mutator that would allow to aim those sights.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychomorph View Post
        On the topic. Aiming sights in UT? No. But I asked, in a thread I deleted, the devs to build the weapons after how they'd be build in reality, with actual sights on the weapon model, because the combatants would need a way to aim, the player, however, does not.

So with the sights already modeled on the gun, nothing could stop you from writing a mutator that would allow to aim those sights.
        And nothing stops it from being a toggleable feature available in the base game, either.

Comment

Dueling Flak Cannons
          We see the shells falling
          Together, we die

Comment

Originally posted by TrickyVein View Post
            Nice copypasta. Much originality.

Comment

Iron sights is the future of gaming. Get with the program. You can still hip fire, but with a penalty of spread. Don't be a caveman and evolve!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperGrover71 View Post
                Iron sights is the future of gaming. Get with the program. You can still hip fire, but with a penalty of spread. Don't be a caveman and evolve!
                Aiming Down Sights is so WW1. Crosshairs are the future. Haven't you seen Google Glass?
                DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Designer at Candango Games. Check my Gamasutra Blog.

Comment

Originally posted by luauDesign View Post
                  Aiming Down Sights is so WW1. Crosshairs are the future. Haven't you seen Google Glass?
                  Indeed, it's set in the future and I don't think we need a function like this, it will only take the speed out of the game.
                  Offcourse weapon models like the sniper does need a scope, glasses or anything can't have the same functions as a big *** scope!
                  Other weapons can have some aiming sights moddeled as well, because when your glasses break you need something else..

Comment

Originally posted by 2Na View Post
                    I'm going to open a can of worms here.

Aiming Down the Sights.
                    A staple of most modern shooters, but never done in UT. Kinda-sorta implemented in a 3rd person OTS (Over The Shoulder) way in Gears. Let's assume we all have 3 mouse buttons so as not to interfere with primary/alt-fire.

Yes. We have to get with the times and move ahead.

or...

No. It's just not UT and will slow the game down.
                    I don't think this has anything to do with the "Times."

Designs are timeless, graphics are not. If the design is solid, you keep it. This would be like changing monopoly. It's been the same game since the day it came out in 1902. Do they need to "Get" with the times and add hourglass sand timers and hungry hungry hippos or rubegoldberg machines [mouse trap] just because everyone else is adding something gimmicky to their product?

Aiming down the sights is for realism, Unreal is the antithesis of realism, it's right there in the name, UNREAL, as in -- not realistic. The second you concede and start adding exclusively realistic functions that change the core game from this unrealistic movement game about picking up magic armor and teleporting and surviving hits from rockets, into a realistic game where rockets always kill you, you move slow and creep around, you aim down the barrel, you betray the entire spirit of the game.

You don't change what's not broken, just because someone else did something different.

Halo 4 didn't have ironsights, despite being made in the modern age, why? Because it's design is about NOT needing them, as it's a slower easier to control version of an ARENA game [that's why it's better suited for console and universally praised on said console.]

Halo is the Quake/Unreal of Xbox -- and it succeeds in every way by staying true to this formula.
                    Last edited by Laokin; 05-19-2014, 05:39 AM.

Comment

I don't have an issue with people choosing to disadvantage themselves

Comment

What would be the point of this? Do you really want to aim down the sight to fire a rocket? really? or fire Goo? a Shock combo? there is no expanding reticle in UT, You can fire sniper while wall dodging in mid air and headshoot someone just the same as standing still. A lot of people dont have weapon showing either.

So let me ask you since this doesn't give you any benifit in any way whatsoever. What would this do for you other than hinder you?

Comment

Originally posted by Tidal Blast
                          Could we close this thread and focus on more important things please? ADS makes no sense whatsoever for UT and never will. If you guys are looking for that kind of game, Destiny is what you are looking for.
                          In other words, "IT SCARES ME MAKE IT GO AWAY." You don't get to selectively choose what gets discussed.

So let me ask you since this doesn't give you any benifit in any way whatsoever. What would this do for you other than hinder you?
                          What part of zoom + viewmodel orientation do you fail to understand? The idea is to provide a clear, readily-distinguishable sight picture for precision shots with a slight zoom functionality. Don't like it, don't check the tick mark for it in the menu, and get an equally optional zoom function without the viewmodel adjustment.

Comment

no no no no no no... did i already say NO?! wtf this is no call of duty. NO!!

Comment

No, no, no, no and NO!

Comment

Working...
                              X