Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The old UT99 Ripper...

The Ripper

If you have played the old regular UT99 ( best game ever ) you would know what the ripper is. It's the 5 weapon called the Ripper and also called Ripperjack, it shoots out a blade that reflects off walls, floors, ceilings and everything ( except items and players ). It's secondary fire shootings out a slower blade that explodes on impact, doing more damage of course, but it was way more fun watching 5 blades bounce around and slaughter. It was so fun picking it up and shooting a couple down a hallway and getting a couple headshots out of no where. People ask for it every where on what I see. To see it action watch this video that I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWhnIZL0rm0

Anyone else agree? Leave your comments below!
    HELL YEAH!
    81.58%
    No thanks!
    17.11%
    I have no clue what is.
    1.32%

The poll is expired.

Zacc

I forgot about this weapon, I absolutely loved it. It was great for those pesky room campers, just start spamming the room and within a few seconds a kill message appears. Approve!
    PayBack

Comment

Yes. With decapitation and bumpering mechanics. End of story. KTHXBYE.
      Protocol is our alt-fire function.

Comment

I might be wrong, but the Ripper headshot was actually more powerful than the Sniper. Let me check.
        http://www.unreal.fr/images/pages/un...le/weapons.htm
        Yup ! ^^

Btw yes, I wouldn't mind if it gets reworked visually, but the Ripper / Razorjack has to be in

Welcome to the forums Zacc

Comment

I saw the title of the thread,
          "The old UT99 Ripper..."
          and immediately thought,
          "...absolutely has to be in."

Comment

It's time to bring back some of the old gold

Comment

Originally posted by van Kuss View Post
              I might be wrong, but the Ripper headshot was actually more powerful than the Sniper. Let me check.
              http://www.unreal.fr/images/pages/un...le/weapons.htm
              Yup ! ^^

Btw yes, I wouldn't mind if it gets reworked visually, but the Ripper / Razorjack has to be in

Welcome to the forums Zacc
              Thanks for the welcoming Kuss. I didn't know the ripper was the most powerful at headshot, dayum!
              Zacc

Comment

I want it in but I do not want it simply ported from UT99. That's a recipe for bad things. It needs to be modified so that the problems it causes are removed.
                Wanted for crimes against the English Language.

Comment

What kinds of problems?

Comment

The one where people spam it mindlessly.

Comment

The Fraghouse Ripper was a good version of the weapon for UT2004 (used it in my Face remake, fun weapon and worked well in terms of balance). The secondary had notably less accuracy and the fire intervalls were generally lower (I think half of what UT99 had).
                      This simple changes already fixed most of the spam issues.

A very cool additional feature: at some rare moments after some reflections, the blade got stuck in walls or floors for a while - this was especially funny if someone walked past a corner and lost his head because of the blade being stuck on head height right at the wall the person passed by. This was preventable though because one heard a hissing sound coming from the blade before it disappeared. I surely wouldn't mind if the Fraghouse version of the Ripper gets included, in fact, I miss this weapon!
                      Last edited by Sly.; 05-15-2014, 12:08 AM.
                      S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by LDS-555 View Post
                        The one where people spam it mindlessly.
                        Hmm. I only really had a problem with the exploding blades being way too rapid-fired, but then again, I didn't care much for the exploding blades in general. I quite liked the primary fire. Played a bit like a little pocket of a Japanese bullet hell game sometimes.

Let's see.

Maybe primary fire just launches blades straight ahead, and they get buried in terrain without bouncing. You might make a headshot if you're lucky. The discs travel somewhat slowly, but they deliver a good, solid chunk of damage if they hit. Someone mentioned something about considering the possibility of some weapons "bleeding through" damage through armor, I think the Ripper in its primary fire state could be one of those weapons, to possibly give it another edge.

Primary fire I think should be about the same rate as in the original UT. Maybe. Without the ricochet, this might be less of a concern. It'd be somewhat like the Shock Rifle secondary, only without the explosion damage.

The secondary could be a charged attack. Hold the button, and you can see the blade spinning in place, faster and faster, generating lots of wicked-looking blue sparks. The more you charge it, the faster the projectile goes when it gets launched. Secondary fire mode enables the blades to bounce and ricochet like in the original UT. A fully-charged blade deals a serious amount of damage - maybe even fatal to the unprotected - and those killed by it can be sliced in half for good measure. In fact, depending on the depth and complexity of the system, the Ripper could be the go-to weapon for gore effects.

The downside to the secondary fire mode is the long charge time, and a greater delay between shots as the gun has to dump waste heat...or something. But anyway, greater cooldown. Another thing is that the discs lose energy really quickly. A fully-charged shot flies like lightning - for about two seconds. As speed bleeds off, damage decreases, and the chance the disc will ricochet decreases too until both are nil.

Comment

Not bad. Not bad at all, though I really dislike getting rid of the bouncing completely.

Here's what I posted in https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l-Here-Weapons regarding it.
                          Originally posted by LDS-555 View Post
                          Ripper
                          I know a lot of people miss this gun and it's been brought back in mod form a few times but no one has really ever nailed it down well enough to not overlap excessively with another gun or managed to pin down an interesting alt fire. Not to mention avoiding the pitfalls that I believe lead to it's remove in the first place; which I am once again pinning on hardcore mode making spamming so much more rewarding. See, in classic mode the ripper blade's speed is a lot more manageable and with it only doing 30 damage you can afford to get hit by it. Up to hardcore mode and the become a lot harder to keep track of and 45 damage is much, much more pressing threat, especially since a head shot does a whopping 157 damage. With a bunch of these flying around it just becomes a frustrating experience. The secondary fire, while not as threatening, is just boring. It's essentially a rocket that's a lot weaker but faster. Lame.

My suggestion: To bring the Ripper back, which I would love, would require making the gun not as spam friendly while still being useful. To this end I suggest that the blades are extremely fast (the fasted of projectiles) and only bounce three times before breaking apart, dealing 30 to 33 damage a shot with head shots doing double rather than three and a half times the damage. I think it would also be a good idea for it's head shots to ignore shields to make up for a single one not being able to kill. To curtail spam, the gun should fire at a rate comparable to the shock rifle or if it does fire more rapidly, it can only fire off three shots before the fire rate slows down dramatically. This makes a bit more methodical and rewards learning places to bounce off of rather than just spamming and hoping for the best. Now the alt fire, my suggestion is inspired more by the original Unreal Razorjack. It fires a single slower razor blade that homes in on what ever your crosshair is aiming at at the moment and may bounce several more times. The downside is that you can only have a single one of these blades out a time; so if you hit alt-fire again all it does is make the current guided blade continue on its merry way until it runs out of bounces. This makes it an excellent pursuit weapon but it doesn't have enough damage to be absurd about it. The blades of course, should be able to be shot down but given their speed that's a bit harder to pull off.

Comment

I would love to see the old Ripper back into the Unreal franchise, the only concern I'm having with it that you could spam a lot of rounds. My idea would be to make it a chargable weapon, with a slow rate of reloading, but give it a lot of damage.

For idea the blade needs to be charged (spinning), you can shoot it without charging, but it won't bounce and does less damage.
                            When charging the blade it can bounce of walls etc, depending on the charging time the amount of bounces will increace as well as damage and shooting speed.

For the secondary fire, you can shoot the blade but it can't bounce off walls, when it touches or crashes into someting it explodes.
                            Press the right mouse again to let it explode on any given time.

(The weapon could also just have one blade that works like a boomerang, for the primary fire mode) But I like the first ideas better.

Comment

The only problem I have with this weapon is that people spam it too much. Especially if it is a small map, they will just use it instead of any other weapons.
                              History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
                              UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
                              UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
                              UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Working...
                              X