Rocket Launcher Damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocket Launcher Damage

Probably very controversial: I think RL should deal less damage on a direct hit.
    Im talking from a new player standpoint but honestly even a experienced player should agree that in a DM or even CTF Scenario the RL is kind of too powerful. I think Primary and Secondary and Grenades are all great mechanically just the 100 Damage on impact is frustrating to play against, you start out with just 100 life.

It could even deal just 99dmg and the Difference would be huge. Very skilled players will hit the second direct or Splash anyway but it makes it so that not everybody can just spam and oneshot you, especially when the spawnpoints can be known and prefired.
    Last edited by Shin3y; 02-12-2016, 11:02 PM.

Originally posted by cafe
    Yeah I've said basically the exact same thing before, but there is enough of a split in the community where it probably won't happen. There are enough people out there who seem to like it that way, but honestly I don't understand why.
    My thinking is that as the RL is a projectile weapon, getting a direct hit is "harder" then a hitscan. So the reward is 100 damage and therefore a kill if the person you are playing couldn't dodge it, get a health vial or armour.
    Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

When a guy gets hit direct with a rocket I expect it to be a 1 shot kill, that is rocket should always do at least the same damage as 100% hit points. So in this game 100 damage. Spawn kills are not a problem with the weapon but the spawning system. Also all you have to do is grab 1 vial to with stand a rocket, I think that is plenty fair.

Even so the rocket launcher is currently over powered especially so now from the player scale increase.

Comment

What just crossed my mind... Couldn't it be a fault of map makers? I remember there being more vials in UT2k4 maps, then here. It was mostly no problem to find 3-4 vials right after spawn in Rankin for example. In UT4 vials are a bit more rare. Maybe it's just my feeling, but I think ASDF is a good example of that.

Comment

The main problem with 100 damage is that direct hits aren't rare or difficult so it just makes the weapon feel broken.
          :|

Comment

since there is this zero dmg bug it is balanced )

On one side ppl dont want to die from 1 hit rocket. On the other side ppl enjoy those 1 hit kills. Which one is more important for the game? Whats better for specs?

Anyone who is familiar with high level duel knows, crippling someone to really low hp is often more beneficial than the kill itself, you can take all those precious items from him while he is waiting for the finishing blow. From a spectator perspective it much better to see a kill than see someone hiding around a corner cuz he cant do anything at that point. Seems to me that there are more plusses on the 100dmg side.
            Last edited by Sulaco; 02-13-2016, 07:26 AM.
            "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Comment

So the solution is to make them harder to hit :]
              :|

Comment

Originally posted by Flikswich View Post
                So the solution is to make them harder to hit :]
                I'm not against that.
                "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Comment

I'm not against reducing damage (don't care if it takes 2 hits to kill a fresh spawn or not) but I don't think it will make a big enough difference. The RL feels clunky because it's so easy to hit with, and especially easy to hit directly with. Reducing damage would balance it a bit better, but it wouldn't make it any more fun. Collision should be reduced to the smallest possible, and the rocket should be slowed down, IMO. I think someone said it's going to be 5% slower in the next update already (which isn't a whole lot, but, well, maybe Epic will balance it eventually with such small tweaks in 10 years)

Comment

needs to be slower for the first step.
                    100 dmg or less i dont think it would change much, like i survive with 5 hp and what ? like the enemy wont chase me with pistol

Comment

Slower rockets would make it so that in order to get damage consistently, you need to aim for the splash damage. This is the way to go and it looks like they moving in that direction by increasing splash in the current publish and slowing the rockets in the next.
                      Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

We all agree. Direct hit must harder. Then we'll see.
                        Cunni, 37 years old, 16 years of UT, 90% CTF, 10% Duel
                        https://www.twitch.tv/cunni_ut
                        http://plays.tv/u/Cunni
                        Discord PUG Community

Comment

I agree... the problem with the RL is not the damage, it is just way too easy to (direct) hit.

Comment

Nope, it's just the damage. Previous UT titles did 85 damage.

Comment

Please remove one compensation for projectiles and slow rockets down.

Comment

Working...
                              X