Rocket Launcher Damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cunni View Post
    Trident 3-pack is more fun. Epic secondary fire is very spammy and random.

Wail's rockets are very weak. So the trident is not op. But with more splash damage (which everyone ask), the trident could be OP. A solution could to reduce the damage per rocket when there are loaded.
    - 1 rocket : 100 max damage
    - 2 or 3 rockets : let's say 80 Max damage per rocket
    Originally posted by Flikswich View Post
    Yeah I think for a trident rocket secondary to be balanced it needs to have less damage per rocket.
    Also not a bad idea, but it would be a very... videogame-ish thing to do. I mean you fire rockets and I'm fairly sure the vast majority of people would overlook this difference in damage and then they would wonder how come the guy didn't die from 2 direct hits from the loaded rockets. Then the game would become frustrating for them.

Here's an idea: On loaded alt-fire the rockets become swarm rockets instead! They look like regular rockets , but after 1-2 meters of travel they split into e.g. 5 micro-rockets. Damage could be like 20 for a single micro-rocket and AOE of their combined explosions should be about as much as single rocket.
    - You could still load 3 of them, so that would be 3x5 micro-rockets at once.
    - you could still fire them in a wide arc (micro-rockets would also spread in an arc with minimal Z vector difference)
    - or spiral (microrockets could follow the spiral path)
    - and even fire them with a lock-on (microrockets would first spread in a 180° 3D arc, but then quickly change direction towards the locked target). They can be dodged of course.

This way the alt-fires damage and aoe can be nerfed, without confusing the players!

BUT BUT BUT! The best thing about this would be the vast customization options for balancing. The damage and behavior of the individual micro-rockets could be randomized! You could have the micro-rocket damage in an interval (like 10-20), to make it a less reliable (and therefor not op) weapon! You could include a random factor where one of the micro-rockets could randomly become a defect! You could randomize the AOE! Their flight path! Anything!
    Last edited by InVader; 02-27-2016, 06:20 PM.
    Check out my work!
    | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
    | Localization

Comment

Getting awards (Shredded, Torpedo, Air Rocket, etc.) seems accidental half the time. Yeah, you're racking up "awards" but if it's not intentional and challenging, it's not rewarding. You may get a trophy, but if you weren't really trying for it, you don't feel accomplished.

Forcing a spread on the trirox (no spiral) would help reduce damage, and make it about crowd control (which I would be fine with) but vs a single opponent, would really be just about alleviating the need for any kind of aim or prediction. I actually liked the sequential 3 pack when it was slower. This would allow you to actually aim each rocket, and not just get them in some faux custom spread, again, thinking more in terms of multi target roxing, or crowd control, than damage consolidation, and spam.

Also, the current lock time is horrendous. Either that, or the target acquisition is to narrow, I can't really tell which.

I'd rather see single rox on 1, and instant lock on 2 that requires the equivalent of a hit with hit scan. If you miss, it would fire the rocket, so you couldn't just spam locks. If that were an option along side any salvo, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
      Originally posted by Mysterial
      An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Working...
      X