Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] MUTATOR - Dodge Kick Melee

Summary
    Credit goes to exo7341 for the idea that was mentioned here:[PROTOTYPE] MUTATOR Butt Melee
    This idea is similar to 3Dmatic's Add possibility to melee when dodging or wall-dodging

exo7341 idea summarised:
    1) Player wall dodges against an opponent; using preferred dodge method (either using double tap a direction key or single tap dodge)
    2) Opponent is dealt some damage and is knocked back unless they are a team mate
    2.1) Team mates act as 'portable dodge-walls'
    3) Player reaction motion is the same as if they had wall dodged, but could be a bit weaker though (like for balancing purpose, or because of momentum conversation )

I (richardboegli) think this would be really good in instagib while you are waiting on rifle cool down. It would make players attack more instead of running away.

Background / History
    Originally posted by exo7341 View Post
    Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
    Use the butt of your gun as a melee weapon.

It would require a third button to activate.

No need to waste time in weapon switch for a close quarter attack.
    Maybe it is possible to make a kick/push via wall-dodging functionality. I mean you'd be able to "wall-dodge" off other players (which results in them being hard pushed/kicked). It's even easier now - with larger scale characters. As a bonus this could create new possibilities for "aerial acrobatics" - imagine mid-air mutual pushes or team-mate assisted long-juming (situation based - for pits, holes etc).
    Originally posted by 3Dmatic View Post
    Check & double leg kick
    What if the user could dodge and then press a key such as Spacebar to check an opponent?
    Or perform a walldodge and then press a key such as Spacebar to perform a Double Leg kick?
    EDIT2:
    Instagib

EDIT3:
    This idea is similar to 3Dmatic's Add possibility to melee when dodging or wall-dodging

EDIT4:
    Cleaned up post to make it easier for new readers

EDIT5:
    Cleaned up as per exo7341 comment.
    Last edited by richardboegli; 02-17-2016, 08:49 AM. Reason: EDIT5
    Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

I don't support additional melee attack idea, sorry. Piston/hammer already exists for the odd melee engagements.
    UT ingame alias: nukkuj
    Youtube Twitch Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by nukkuj View Post

I don't support additional melee attack idea, sorry. Piston/hammer already exists for the odd melee engagements.
      Not sure if you read my other thread but the reason for melee was because of slow weapon switch time.

Last edited by richardboegli; 02-17-2016, 04:40 AM. Reason: add quote

Comment

Updated parent post with additional context from other thread .

Comment

This would be really good in instagib while you are waiting on rifle cool down. It would make players attack more instead of running.

Comment

As a guy that doesn't use single tap dodge, how would it work?
            It would be nice if the opponent was treated like a wall, which you dodge off of, except they go flying backwards and cancel their reload?

If it was insta kill or did a lot of damage it would just be OP imo

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTheF4rth View Post
              It would be nice if the opponent was treated like a wall, which you dodge off of, except they go flying backwards and cancel their reload?

It seems to me, my idea is basically reproduces 3Dmatic's one.

But, to be clear, I'd say my variant indeed assumes treating other players as "dodgeable surface". Then other player is being pushed off you, and you being dodged off him (maybe a bit weaker than off regular wall; optionally there could be additional effects like weapon drop etc.

I was also thinking of pushing via straight dodging (when you just dodge towards opponent). IMHO this would be too easy to perform so it likely to be abused/over-used. 'Player-dodging' on the other hand is quite tricky (as you required jump towards - and hit with your body that other player first). This would be suitable for specific situations when you and your opponent are both located on higher places (like Face's tower top, Deck's bridge or Chill's Amp window) and you dont have any high-momentum weapon but have opportunity to push him down. Other possible use is advanced movement - when you dodge off your teammate.
              Last edited by exo7341; 02-17-2016, 05:55 AM.
              - got sig? -

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTheF4rth View Post

It seems to me, my idea is basically reproduces 3Dmatic's one.

But, to be clear, I'd say my variant indeed assumes treating other players as "dodgeable surface". Then other player is being pushed off you, and you being dodged off him (maybe a bit weaker than off regular wall; optionally there could be additional effects like weapon drop etc.
                Originally posted by 3Dmatic View Post
                Check & double leg kick
                What if the user could dodge and then press a key such as Spacebar to check an opponent?
                Or perform a walldodge and then press a key such as Spacebar to perform a Double Leg kick?
                Yep they are related, but the implementation is slightly different.

3Dmatic wanted to dodge AND THEN press a key

exo7341 wanted to wall dodge against the opponent

In summary with exo7341 suggestion:
                1) Player wall dodges against an opponent; using preferred dodge method (either using double tap a direction key or single tap dodge)
                2) Opponent is dealt some damage and is knocked back
                3) Player reaction motion is the same as if they had wall dodged.

Is that statement succinct enough?

EDIT:
                Amended main post to reference 3Dmatic thread.
                Last edited by richardboegli; 02-17-2016, 05:57 AM. Reason: wiordcraft etc.

Comment

In summary with exo7341 suggestion:
                  2) Opponent is dealt some damage and is knocked back
                  3) Player reaction motion is the same as if they had wall dodged.

Is that statement succinct enough?
                  Yes, that's correct!

Reaction movement could be a bit weaker though (like for balancing purpose, or because of momentum conversation ). Although, personally I'd love full normal dodge result.
                  - got sig? -

Comment

Yes, that's correct!
                    Great, I'll revise the top post to have this as the summary for new readers:

Reaction movement could be a bit weaker though (like for balancing purpose, or because of momentum conversation ). Although, personally I'd love full normal dodge result.
                    I too would prefer full dodge reaction force, but I could see how a lower one makes sense as you are pushing opponent away so you are losing energy.

Comment

Great, I'll revise the top post to have this as the summary for new readers:
                      Thanks, I appreciate your efforts!

I think 1st post still needs a bit of clean-up (some duplicating text and ending of edit2). I'd also add something like EDIT2.1 that would highlight that team-mates are becoming some kind of 'portable dodge-walls'
                      - got sig? -

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate your efforts!

I think 1st post still needs a bit of clean-up (some duplicating text and ending of edit2). I'd also add something like EDIT2.1 that would highlight that team-mates are becoming some kind of 'portable dodge-walls'
                        Done.

Its not exactly how I wanted the wording as I had to write it twice. I had the post done and went to grab 3Dmatic quote and it cleared my post

Comment

Working...
                        X