Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Flak Cannon Prototype

Hey Guys,

Matt Oelfke has been busy working on a weapon framework and it looks like you've found his amazing shock rifle submitted already!

I really quickly threw together a flak cannon prototype to get the basic functionality working!

PICS OR IT DIDN"T HAPPEN!!!1111oneone

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flak_Primary_Proto.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	352482

This is me bouncing a primary shot off the wall. It's got a primary and secondary mode working.

To test it out, just assign it to the "Default Weapon" slot on your UTCharacter pawn of choice (i recommend the NickUTCharacter

I haven't got the smiley face on the shell yet! sorry to let you down =)

Enjoy!

-nick

Edit: Here's the reference to the weapon asset:
    Blueprint'/Game/Weapons/Flak/BP_FlakCannon.BP_FlakCannon'
    Last edited by Nick Donaldson; 05-16-2014, 07:26 PM.
    Designer

aka. neoduck

Originally posted by Nick Donaldson View Post
    The single most important part!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Donaldson View Post
      NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Well, I guess it can still be added later on.

Glad to see weapons are taking shape now and good job!
      Is there any tendency regarding a weapon behaviour that you are aiming at? The projectiles remind of UT2004 (especially with the trail).
      I'm looking forward to what people are going to do with this!
      S l y .

Comment

And because everything is better in motion: http://ut.raxxy.com/e4299a2fa5_flak....lk.to.800.webm

many fails in dodging, leave me alone, and apologies for the music, forgot pandora was playing in background.

I am using non-standard movement speed (800 instead of 600) as it feels much better to me (leave that debate in other threads though)

As for opinions; I think the primary projectile distance should be cut by 20% depending on damage, and perhaps 2 or 3 extra 'sparks' would be appropriate from the alternate fire.
        Last edited by raxxy; 05-16-2014, 09:59 PM. Reason: video embed test

Comment

Just how many tabs did you have open when you took that vid?
          Dueling Flak Cannons
          We see the shells falling
          Together, we die

Comment

Originally posted by TrickyVein View Post
            Just how many tabs did you have open when you took that vid?
            Eh? about 4x that. two monitors on either side of that display at the same res, and that taskbar only displays whats open on that screen.

Does it matter?

Comment

Apparently, it does not!

Thanks for posting the vid. We get to see just how fast the flak projectiles travel.
              Last edited by TrickyVein; 05-16-2014, 10:41 PM.
              Dueling Flak Cannons
              We see the shells falling
              Together, we die

Comment

lol i'll test this tomorrow, probbly have to wait until we can playtest it though

looks like you're having a disco, even more than the previous UT versions which were ridiculous for flak range and speed

Comment

Looks neat!

Hard to tell for sure, but by the looks of raxxy's video, I thought Primary's speed was rather low, to where it'd be very easy to dodge out of the way … but off a reflection the speed seems about right.

So … maybe up the muzzle velocity, and absorb some more on the reflection …?

Comment

Obviously it could use some tweaking but this is cool. I love the pellet bounce.
                    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Hey dudes! just give some ideas for Flak Cannon design

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...hi-d6t6hnc.jpg

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...ss-d5wccpo.jpg

Comment

Looks good so far, btw this map on raxxy's video is it official ut test map?

Comment

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
                          Looks good so far, btw this map on raxxy's video is it official ut test map?
                          It is.

Anyway, the flak shells don't seem to be coming out of the barrel when you move sideways. 99% the issue is that the shot velocity isn't added to your own movement vector when firing.

Comment

Really good start, I'd like to see distance traveled/number of bounces reduced and the speed of projectiles increased, maybe tighten the spread very very slightly?
                            "Gilanguar"

Comment

Looks great! Sorry in advance for the stupid questions but I have some issues testing your work:

1: I've selected the flak cannon, saved and compiled the NickUTCharacter blueprint, but I seem to spawn with the shock rifle always. How do I ensure i'm spawning as the right pawn?

2: I can dodge and jump but can't ever seem to wall dodge. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks and keep up the awesome work.
                              UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
                              Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
                              "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                              X