Raycasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raycasting

I was thinking to it, we have 3 raycasting weapon, and I think we could change that for 2 weapons, there is the sniper, the enforcers, and the minigun primary fire, I think the unreal engine 4 and modern computers can stand to have lots of objects moving around and moving very fast.

My point ? For precision purpoise, we can't really change the raycasting nature of the sniper without making it even harder to use, so, I think we can not touch this one, (I'm not saying "[we] [can't/can not touch]", but "[we can/have the possibility to] [not touch/keep it unchanged]").

For the enforcer, we can make fast projectiles (I'm not asking for realistic bullets that are affected by wind, that slow down and does less damage the further they go with an expodencially arked trajectory, it's not battlefield or arma, it have to stay ut, just profit that the computers can now do things they wheren't able to do when the series started, in a way that bump a bit the skill level of the game while keeping it fun).

And for the minigun primary fire, guve it astonishingly fast bullets, super fast bullets that take three frame to travel facing world from one end of the box that contain the map to the other.

What do you think ?

PS : I think I see the enforcer bullet going fast enougth to be undodgeable at midlong range, but slow enougth to be seen by other players around, something like the plasma smg in quake 3, but a bit faster.

PPS : I say it again by security, I'm not asking for realism, I'm just asking if we can profit of the engine and the power of modern computer to change some raycasting weapons.

It is not computer processing power that can be problematic/limiting for projectiles, it is that projectiles need to be replicated across limited network bandwidth to other clients. This can be very problematic for projectiles that are being spawned quickly by rapid-fire weapons (the server has to send out massive number of spawn notifications to multiple clients), and is really problematic when projectile need to be updated several times during their lifespan (for projectiles that don't travel in straight lines or other easily determined paths).

Also, I think UT already tried a projectile version of the sniper rifle a couple versions back.

Comment

Oh, when things said how games use raycasting because of hardware limitation, I wasn't expecting it to be the internet...

Comment

Originally posted by meowcatbuf View Post
        It is not computer processing power that can be problematic/limiting for projectiles, it is that projectiles need to be replicated across limited network bandwidth to other clients. This can be very problematic for projectiles that are being spawned quickly by rapid-fire weapons (the server has to send out massive number of spawn notifications to multiple clients), and is really problematic when projectile need to be updated several times during their lifespan (for projectiles that don't travel in straight lines or other easily determined paths).

Also, I think UT already tried a projectile version of the sniper rifle a couple versions back.
        If we can handle the flak cannon, we can handle a projectile stinger minigun. The key is that the projectiles are short lived because of their speed, so there won't be too many present at any one time.

That said, if the projectiles travel across Face in a tenth or a twentieth of a second, I think you'll run into the same problem we encountered with the projectile sniper: Players are just going to accuse projectiles of being laggy and demand it go back to being a hitscan weapon, despite any evidence to the contrary.

Comment

Oh, and, a bit slower minigun bullets then ? I know it will change the way it works but, would they take it better ?

PS : Oh, I realised I forgot the primary fire of the asmd, I think it should stay raycating, since it's a... ray... what do you think ? Is there a third alternative to hitscan and projectiles it can use ?
          Last edited by Shkikri; 04-18-2016, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X