Centered weapons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Centered weapons?

I always wondered why first person perspective games switched from drawing the weapon model in the center of the screen and instead started doing it on the right side (or left in some cases for left handed gamers). My personal opinion is that it was... better. It was easier to aim and even allowed disabling the crosshair and remove the need for aiming down the sights. Drawing them on the right might be more visually appealing as it allows to show the gun animations a bit more, but... was it really the reason why it was introduced? I guess some people will say it looks more like the player character is shooting from the hip, but anyone who held a gun in real life knows you position your body in such a way to keep the weapon in the center of your sight.

So I would like to ask you: why do you think centered weapons are a thing of the past? How is such a view inferior to showing the weapon on the right side of the screen? Would you like to see it as an option in the new Unreal Tournament game?

Unreal Tournament never really had "true" centered weapon view - UT99 had such an option but it wasn't exactly drawn in the center, which was probably done because the models didn't have any polygons drawn on their right side to speed up rendering. It's not really an issue today, is it? Unreal had "true" centered weapons at the begining but after some patch it was made to look similar to UT99.

This old pre-release screenshot looks amazing, in my opinion. Shooting this weapon would be very satisfying:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	USHOT11.gif
Views:	1
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	352486

Quake has done it, too:

Name:	Quake1.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	352487

Even UT99's semi-centered weapons were better, in my opinion, than on the far right:

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	352488

PS: I believe centered weapons would not need to be less visually attractive. Anyway, what was the first first person shooter that introduced viewmodels on the right side? Was Dark Forces the first?
    Last edited by Soulburner; 05-18-2014, 03:09 AM.

With the weapon in the centre it seems to impose on your view. Perhaps not so much in the 3rd pic (1st post) but it does appear more natural with the weapon to the side imho.
    Last edited by PvtPublic; 05-18-2014, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Well I think because most people are right handed, thus you use your mouse with the right hand, and so the weapon feel better. Also, the character holding the weapon would be really akward holding it in the centre lol

I don't know, that's preferences, lots of people hide the guns you know

Comment

I remember that you can change the position of the season (left, middle, right, hidden) in your preferences for UT99. If the newer UTs stop doing this then bring it back.
        As the your question then yes i believed it died out because a lot of gaming companies will want to be somewhat realistic in carrying a weapon so it will either be left or right, and since a majority of players are right handed then the weapon will be in the right by default
        @Van Kuss i think people will want to see how the new weapons looks like so i doubt people will have it hidden for the first couple weeks of the game.
        History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
        UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
        UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
        UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Well if they aren't so large they occupy half screen one could even leave them on

Comment

Looking at the Github changelog, there's an "Added option for centered weapons fire"-entry, so at least someone at Epic feels the same as OP.

Comment

Unreal had some weapons centered.
              I think having the superweapons centered could be cool.

Comment

Didn't 2k4 have the option to center your weapons?
                Idk, I'd hide them anyway. If people really want this, then sure why the hell not. Couldn't be that hard :>
                ut2k4 > *
                Not all maps understood the 2k4 movement. Not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by SDAHeatWave View Post
                  I remember that you can change the position of the season (left, middle, right, hidden) in your preferences for UT99. If the newer UTs stop doing this then bring it back.
                  They didn't. This was possible in all UT's thus far (okay, UT3 doesn't have 'centered', but that's hardly a loss: it shoots from the center on hidden).

Provided I've got decent crosshairs that show what I'm holding, I always set it to hidden.
                  My UT threads (latest: my take on defensive items, poll on the melee weapon's alt fire and My take on the storyline)

Comment

I personally really dislike weapons to be too much at the side, but this is probably done to show them off. One thing that I totally (totally totally totally) hate though is the modern day implementation of weapons, where they are not only too far at the right, but also too high, and not only too far at the right and too high, but also too huge and blown up, and not only too far at the right and too high and too huge and blown up, but also bobbing up and down in an absolutely most imbecile way. Aesthetics have gone out the window. I really miss this classical smaller sized weapon model lower in the screen thing.

I personally am not a big fan of fully centred weapons either, I want them to be closer to the centre, not completely centered. I'd like to have not just an option to set it to left, right and center, like in Unreal/UT, but freely shift them within these constrains, so that I'd move them closer to centre without having them completely centred.

Comment

I set my weapons to center in any game that allows it.
                      also known as Humphro

Comment

Giving users access to gunx/y/z (with caps of course) would solve most problems and allow them to put it exactly where they want it. Pun intended :P
                        Posts are about duel unless otherwise specified. ut duel shortcomings | What is timing? | dm-twentyseven

Comment

Originally posted by van Kuss View Post
                          Well I think because most people are right handed, thus you use your mouse with the right hand, and so the weapon feel better. Also, the character holding the weapon would be really akward holding it in the centre lol

I don't know, that's preferences, lots of people hide the guns you know
                          Well, if you hold a gun you position your body in a way to have it in the center of your sight. You don't hold a shotgun against your chest, but when you need at least a little bit of aiming you will notice the weapon is in the center of your view. That's why I think centered viewmodels look more natural. When they're positioned on the right... well, that's what looks awkward to me

Giving users access to gunx/y/z wouldn't be a bad thing:

Too bad it was considered a cheat in Q3A :P

Originally posted by Ljas View Post
                          Looking at the Github changelog, there's an "Added option for centered weapons fire"-entry, so at least someone at Epic feels the same as OP.
                          Sounds promising

Originally posted by Psychomorph View Post
                          I personally really dislike weapons to be too much at the side, but this is probably done to show them off. One thing that I totally (totally totally totally) hate though is the modern day implementation of weapons, where they are not only too far at the right, but also too high, and not only too far at the right and too high, but also too huge and blown up, and not only too far at the right and too high and too huge and blown up, but also bobbing up and down in an absolutely most imbecile way. Aesthetics have gone out the window. I really miss this classical smaller sized weapon model lower in the screen thing.

I personally am not a big fan of fully centred weapons either, I want them to be closer to the centre, not completely centered. I'd like to have not just an option to set it to left, right and center, like in Unreal/UT, but freely shift them within these constrains, so that I'd move them closer to centre without having them completely centred.
                          I agree. Sometimes the weapons simply look weird in some games. And being too much at the side - look at CounterStrike:

It almost made that game unplayable for me

Weapons being closer to the center instead of far right is a good compromise, I guess.

Call me weird but Quake 1:

has the best weapon models ever. Sure, they're ugly by mand have very few animations, but it was 1996 Still, they're small enough not to obscure the view and them being centered makes it possible for me to not use the crosshair - with no traces of any autoaiming and stuff.
                          Last edited by Soulburner; 05-18-2014, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I always hated the Counter Strike weapon view. I used to play CS a lot 14 years ago.

Having a centred weapon has little to do with having it at your chest, but rather your head leaned above it for a secure grip. At least for realism orientated games this rationalization works, for UT, it still feels good to have it closer to centre.

I agree on Quake weapons. I have a gamer buddy who was in the military. It is funny when he always mentions how the Quake pistol has a more realistic position than almost any tactical shooter out there. Sometimes I believe game developers are really idiots, lol.

This is how I like weapons:

Comment

Originally posted by Psychomorph View Post

^^^^^^ THIS. So much this. Let us pick preferred carriage for each and every viewmodel on an individual basis. That would be AWESOME. Let us tweak the values with X Y and Z settings with a visual reference in the menu get on thissssssss

At the very least, give us some option to avoid the ridiculous canting that is mind-bogglingly prevalent in modern FPS games. As a shooter, I can say that NOBODY ORIENTS THEIR WEAPON IN SUCH A FASHION. Nobody. It looks freakish and unnatural, and it always tweaks me.

Comment

Working...
                              X