Centered weapons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soulburner View Post
    I always wondered why first person perspective games switched from drawing the weapon model in the center of the screen and instead started doing it on the right side (or left in some cases for left handed gamers). My personal opinion is that it was... better. It was easier to aim and even allowed disabling the crosshair and remove the need for aiming down the sights. Drawing them on the right might be more visually appealing as it allows to show the gun animations a bit more, but... was it really the reason why it was introduced? I guess some people will say it looks more like the player character is shooting from the hip, but anyone who held a gun in real life knows you position your body in such a way to keep the weapon in the center of your sight.

So I would like to ask you: why do you think centered weapons are a thing of the past? How is such a view inferior to showing the weapon on the right side of the screen? Would you like to see it as an option in the new Unreal Tournament game?

Unreal Tournament never really had "true" centered weapon view - UT99 had such an option but it wasn't exactly drawn in the center, which was probably done because the models didn't have any polygons drawn on their right side to speed up rendering. It's not really an issue today, is it? Unreal had "true" centered weapons at the begining but after some patch it was made to look similar to UT99.

This old pre-release screenshot looks amazing, in my opinion. Shooting this weapon would be very satisfying:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3163[/ATTACH]

Quake has done it, too:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3164[/ATTACH]

Even UT99's semi-centered weapons were better, in my opinion, than on the far right:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3165[/ATTACH]

PS: I believe centered weapons would not need to be less visually attractive. Anyway, what was the first first person shooter that introduced view models on the right side? Was Dark Forces the first?
    Dude do you realize that there is an option in UT 04 to change the placement of the gun?

Comment

I'm going to be honest - I haven't played UT since '99 Gotta check if there's a demo to see how it works.

Comment

Xonotic offers centered weapons as an option, but that probably has to do with the fact that it's on a heavily modified quake engine.

Comment

I've seen video from developers were they making tests with shock rifle and weapons placement looks almost like those ridiculous CS screenshots above.I personally prefer them closer to center but not completely ,not like those quake pics above,were weapons goes from a chest.Hope Dev's would add axis tweaks at least from ini or somehow.

Comment

UT Gold Ripper

Centered weapons look much better in my opinion. Pro configs hide weapons and enable center fire anyway.

Also if you can see yourself, weapons to the right kinda feels wrong.
            Last edited by Techies; 06-01-2014, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Quake 2 and this one?

But I think the reason it looks right is because of the short barrel of the gun.

This one just looks right?

Comment

Centered weapons would probably cut down on the 'gamers' who want ADS implemented, too.
                Though, it would be nice to reserve some weapons for the far right/left position, such as the redeemer, or any other shoulder-launched weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
                  Centered weapons would probably cut down on the 'gamers' who want ADS implemented, too.
                  Though, it would be nice to reserve some weapons for the far right/left position, such as the redeemer, or any other shoulder-launched weapons.
                  And there's the door. Watch out for the backswing.

Comment

I have noticed in some of the videos people posted about the movement, that the minigun is slightly more centered than the flak or shock. Can't say if it was like this in UT3 also, as it is an UT3 asset but i like it!

I think the unreal weapons are much larger and heavy than weapons of for example COD, and it feels right to hold them more centered on the FOV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	328861
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	328864
                    Last edited by Danielito; 06-02-2014, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Why is this even a debate, that's personal preference and should just be an option...

Comment

Originally posted by raeg View Post
                        Why is this even a debate, that's personal preference and should just be an option...
                        Sure, but games do not give such options.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner View Post
                          Sure, but games do not give such options.
                          Arena fps's do normally. In fact that's pretty standard by now. Customization is and should be standard.

Comment

Working...
                          X