The melee weapon's alt fire...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The melee weapon's alt fire...

Yes...I know there's already a poll on impact hammer vs shieldgun. However, as far as I read the thread, there have been a variety of different reasons for people's choices. Still...a lot of people don't seem to realize that the primary fire of the melee weapon has always been the same in all the UT's. Hold down the primary and it charges. Touch someone with it and you kill that person. Or release it at the ground for trick jumping.

I'm going to assume here that whatever melee weapon you spawn with in the next UT will have this feature as its primary function. Also...I want to suggest keeping the discussion on whether it'll be possible to launch team members out of this discussion. I'm fully aware that this is in no way a small feature of the melee weapon (it is in fact a huge one...this video demonstrates quite well the impact on assault)...but I'd like to use this discussion to be about the secondary function of the melee weapon (whether or not you can launch your teammates with the primary fire won't affect how the secondary fire works). From what I gather by reading about these forums, I get the following:

* UT's alt fire for the melee weapon: the impact hammer had a shot that did some damage on very close range (30, if this source is correct) and could deflect projectiles slightly. With about the same chance as winning the lottery with a ticket written on a snowball in hell. I'm going to assume that people voting for this will want the projectile deflection to be tweaked at least a little.

* UT2003 and UT2004 had a shield. Dragoomba made a brilliant case for it in this post, and he even forgot to mention that you could use it to reduce falling damage a bit. The main argument against it is that in duels, it allowed for a relatively safe retreat when fights weren't going so well. I've heard more than a few people suggesting what I also suggested: simply don't have the shields recharge when not using it (meaning: you can pretty much only use it to retreat once...if you're good at it). I've made both a voteable option.

* UT3's impact hammer's secondary only damages vehicles and their drivers. When used on someone on foot, it won't damage them but will make them drop all their power-ups

* enforcer: combine the hammer's primary with the secondary being the enforcer's primary. This means you spawn with just one weapon instead of two. One that works both very close as far away. It also frees up a weapon slot. I know: unlike the melee weapon, the alt fire of the enforcer was pretty good. But I won't miss it that much. Oh, and this one's an idea of myself, so you can go ahead and blame me my ideas suck. I'm throwing it out nonetheless.

* electric hammer: I thought this up this afternoon, but hear me out, please (or just vote for another one without reading it. I won't mind ). Let me first state that UT3's idea of dropping a player's power-ups is neat. But even then, it's near impossible to execute (besides: you're better off killing them with the primary...it's equally dangerous but scores you a frag and they'll drop the item that way as well). I believe it was Lecter who proposed that the melee weapon should let you immediately steal the power-up for yourself when you kill someone with it. I not only agree to that but like to take things a step further. My proposition is that the alt fire works much in the same way as the primary (meaning: you charge it up and touch an enemy with it), but the impact only damages your opponent's health, not the armor. If you kill your opponent this way, this automatically not only steals their power-ups, but all their armor as well.
    Now...this alternative way of charging will do less damage (I'd say exactly 100 on a full charge). The idea is that you can either play relatively safe and charge with the primary (which deals more damage, but divided over both armor and health) or go in by charging the alternative fire and attempt to steal their armor...but chances are you may have to hit your opponent more than once. (note: all UT's had at least some way to tell whether your opponent was wearing armor).
    The option of melee jumping will be exactly the same as on the primary, btw. The only difference is that the damage isn't divided over health and shield, it'll just be taken from your health total (which could be handy if you have armor you don't want to sacrifice but have a plethora of health pickups nearby).

* other melee attack, namely...: the above twos are my ideas, but I'm sure you may have your own. Something like the chaosUT ******* sword (no charging needed or a sound but having to press the fire button at the correct time for an instant-kill) or unreal4ever's painkiller (which sucked enemies toward you). Or...I don't know. Anything melee related that somehow makes it a viable option. Just keep in mind that UT's primary fire is already taken.

* other ranged attack, namely...: perhaps you liked that idea of a melee and ranged attack but don't want to give up the enforcers. This'll be the vote for you. Just keep in mind that you will start with this weapon, and as such don't want to overpower it or even make it equally good as other weapons: you still want to make sure everyone goes looking for a better weapon.

* other tool thingy, namely...: the shieldgun's shield isn't a weapon but a tool. If you think a certain kind of non-weapon bonus may be preferable, please mention it here. This can range from being able to see other people through walls after charging or invisibility, or...you name it. I personally think these two examples are terrible as they don't add to the fast-paced nature of the game, but I'm throwing it out anyway. If past UT's show anything, epic hasn't been afraid to experiment with it either. So...why should we be afraid to think outside boxes here?

So...that's about it. Vote for what you prefer, and make sure to voice your opinions on the secondary fire mode (especially if you voted one of the last three options). Oh, and...if you care for it, voice your opinions on the idea of being able to steal an enemies power-up if you manage to frag them from this distance.
    UT's: little damage and slight projectile deflection
    21.43%
    UT2003/4's shields (with recharge)
    21.43%
    UT2003/4's shields (with nerfed recharge)
    14.29%
    UT3's EMP blast
    7.14%
    impact hammer/enforcer combination
    14.29%
    that armor-stealing hammer
    7.14%
    other melee attack, namely...
    0.00%
    other ranged attack, namely...
    0.00%
    other tool-like feature, namely...
    14.29%

The poll is expired.

My UT threads (latest: my take on defensive items, poll on the melee weapon's alt fire and My take on the storyline)

The secondary could be like UT99's projectile deflector, except that it could be also be used to punt players away from you. Not useful in most cases where you would rather just damage them with primarly fire, except when you need to make distance fast(it wouldn't need to charge) or when playing on ledges, and you are looking for a cheeky way to frag someone.
    Last edited by Rotfodder; 05-18-2014, 05:46 PM.

Comment

On Primary:
      - combine behavior common to all UT's
      ---- add projectile deflection as in UT1
      ---- add EMP as in UT3, causing
      ------- powerup dispossession
      ------- accrued electrostatic charge on vehicles
      ------- eventual EMP lockout once vehicle's charge reaches threshold
      - reduce self-damage on surfaces from 50 to 45

On Secondary:
      - provide a UI / server option to disable
      - deploys shield as in UT2
      - absorbs fall damage as in UT2
      - firing primary while holding secondary issues a radial "blast"
      ---- causes a larger damage radius + EMP
      ------- at the cost of fully depleting the shield
      ---------- permanently (or, for a long time, e.g. ~30 s)
      ------- spherical, of size proportional to the remaining power in the shield
      ---- kicks the player in opposite direction
      ------- including out of mid-air
      ------- can be used as last-ditch, damage-free, albeit weaker option for trick-jump
      - teammate Link beam fire buffs and heals a deployed shield

Comment

* enforcer: combine the hammer's primary with the secondary being the enforcer's primary. This means you spawn with just one weapon instead of two. One that works both very close as far away. It also frees up a weapon slot. I know: unlike the melee weapon, the alt fire of the enforcer was pretty good. But I won't miss it that much. Oh, and this one's an idea of myself, so you can go ahead and blame me my ideas suck. I'm throwing it out nonetheless.
        Actually, I think you're onto something...

That could be a pretty neat idea... granted, of course, that the hammer effect is *secondary.*

Actually, that's brilliant. Bravo, sir. Replace the Enforcer with a "carbine-ized" version of it, with a stock and a lengthened foregrip. It could feature an underbarrel Impact Hammer that can be charged with the secondary fire button. The weapon would otherwise work the same way as before, only tapping the secondary fire button would make the weapon act as the original Impact Hammer primary, and carry a chance to deflect projectiles with proper timing. Hold to charge and let go to release, and a charged secondary auto-releases on contact with an enemy.

This Enforcer "carbine" should, of course, be dual-wieldable...with DOUBLE THE IMPACT HAMMER
        Last edited by mastermanaic; 05-18-2014, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X