Weapong handing & display advantage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weapong handing & display advantage

There was time, when I was wondering why all pro UT players keep their weapons in hidden mode. I thought it was because you have the maximum view, but some people also use central display. Doom nostalgia? Hmm... the weapon doesnt disturb me too much, I like to see it firing, and I'm ok with side view...

Sooner I've noticed that main nuiscance(not only the shock rifle). That's actually presents almost in all FPS...

And that's the reason why I changed my mind and hide my weapon for multiplayer.
    It actually helps to land more accurate shots and allows hitting the enemy instead of wall when firing closely to the corner. It also slightly decreased my rocket suicide ratio.

So isn't it a bit of disadvantage for right/left handlers? UT is not a realistic warfare shooter, and I usually expect that my projectile will hit the spot pointed by my crosshair. But while having such option, of cource I would prefer that option, which makes my shot trajectoty more predictable.
    But for example, what if I want to keep regular weapon apperance, but have the same point-accuracy? If such possibility exists, why right/left variant should be a little bit worse option? What about some kind of separation between the visual effect and real projectile collision for the clientside?

What do you guys think?

Originally posted by K-2 View Post
    It actually helps to land more accurate shots and allows hitting the enemy instead of wall when firing closely to the corner.
    note that it also allows hitting wall instead of enemy when firing closely to an opposite corner

Comment

Yes the accuracy ideally should be the same regardless of the weapon position. However, it would require some smart way to render particles on top of all obscuring geometry, that could be difficult because the particles will probably contribute to the overall lighting (it's not just an on-screen effect). In your examples, maybe the particles themselves could be rendered on top of everything (except the gun), but any lightning (like shock ball lighting the ground below) would come from an invisible light source coming straight from your view center to the target. I don't know if this suggestion makes sense in the context of UE4.

Comment

Working...
      X