Lightning Rifle Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] Lightning Rifle Discussion

Discussion thread for the Lightning Rifle to try and consolidate the feedback into one place, it's still a very early WIP!

The Lightning Rifle prototype is a long range hitscan weapon with clearly defined advantages and disadvantages; a sniper weapon feared when used at long range but limited at closer range. It has two very different fire modes depending on whether the weapon is zoomed in.

When the weapon is zoomed in it will automatically begin to charge as shown by a meter in the scope. If the weapon is fired before it is fully charged, it releases a low powered beam of lightning at the target which can be fired at a fairly quick rate. However if the player allows the weapon to fully charge before firing, it will release a large beam of lightning which does a significant amount of damage to the first target it hits and then chains to cause some damage any nearby targets in line of sight of the hit target.

When fired from the hip, the rifle will shoot a high speed but low rate of fire projectile which sticks to an enemy and electrocutes them for three ticks of damage over a second. This allows the player make interesting skill shots at medium to close range and defend himself. The Lightning Rifle is currently only available for play using the Weapon Replacement mutator.

I like it except I get the feeling scopeless firemode's projectile is a bit slow, I don't mind it being projectile based but being a rifle kind of weapon I'd still wanna have it speed up just a little bit. The zooming feels somewhat limited in its current state and you get this tunnelvision, good for balance perhaps, feels a bit dissatisfying at times though. The sound is also not frightening & beefy enough IMO, which is the general feeling of weapon sounds for me, especially link, shock, flak, stinger and lightning gun. It's as if the sound engineer isn't quite up to the task to make an AAA quality UT game, assuming we still have set bar that high. The sounds shouldn't be underestimated, the UT games have had very good weapon sounds in the past which fitted the games and made them memorable, TBH I feel most dissappointed where weapon sounds are at right now, they have this too childish & silly feel to them, making fun of UT's past more "serious" arena FPS take-on.
    Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 01-25-2017, 01:54 PM.

Comment

i just copied this from other topic and changed a bit

I like the weapon but still i feel much more satisfaction hitting when i am zoomed in than with current (projectile) primary fire.
      I wish its primary was pure hitscan and that it had some other fire mod that would be like current primary (very fast projectile), or maybe like: on left click you have hitscan and on secondary (not fully charged) you have very fast projectile (something like current primary fire) and on fully charged you have instant high dmg hitscan?

And i dont like the zoom feature atm, its bad to force people to be zoomed in 100% it doesnt work and doesnt feel nice at all. Maybe just make it that the gun simply needs more time to charge up completely or something.

maybe slightly offtopic but would it make sense to change shock primary to be very fast projectile and have lightning gun primary like i said above (hitscan), so the two weapons dont feel the same and maybe remove sniper completely because there is no reason to have both sniper and lightning gun because of redundancy?

Overall i like the idea and like that they brought it now for experimenting.
      Last edited by Danko955; 01-25-2017, 01:54 PM.

Comment

^ Interesting but brave feedback to say such controversial thing as making Shock Rifle into a very fast travelling projectile based firemode but I'm kinda interested, gives that little bit more reaction time in dodging the still pretty large shock combo radius and makes sense as a medium range focusing weapon. Further I'd think it would look very cool when seeing the very long projectile beam travel across the space in say CTF-Face. Should be very fast projectile though no doubt so it doesn't change it radically. My biggest fear in doing that would be hit detection... probably not feasable for a very high projectile speed, hitscan is that much easier to handle than a fast projectile netcode wise.

Comment

I have mentioned this but to me it feels like the primary shock from UT3. The beam is too slow and too wide. I liked it from 2K4 where is was a very fast, very thin stream of electricity.

Also, I can't remember how the death is from it but it would be cool too see the victim almost lights up and becomes transparent where you can see bones.
          Attached Files
          I have always been an online CTF player. So fun. I used to build maps back in the 99' days. They can be downloaded here.

Comment

I really like of different firemodes depending on the zoom usage. The primary fire is good if you want to play in offensive. This feature is also fun because of the fire rate. The splash damage of the charged secondary fire is a good idea, especially in gamemodes like Flag Run and Flag Invasion.

I found it very versatile.

Maybe the primary projectile does too much damage for a projectile of that size and speed.

-Luigi Rapetta
            (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
            Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
              I like it except I get the feeling scopeless firemode's projectile is a bit slow, I don't mind it being projectile based but being a rifle kind of weapon I'd still wanna have it speed up just a little bit. The zooming feels somewhat limited in its current state and you get this tunnelvision, good for balance perhaps, feels a bit dissatisfying at times though. The sound is also not frightening & beefy enough IMO, which is the general feeling of weapon sounds for me, especially link, shock, flak, stinger and lightning gun. It's as if the sound engineer isn't quite up to the task to make an AAA quality UT game, assuming we still have set bar that high. The sounds shouldn't be underestimated, the UT games have had very good weapon sounds in the past which fitted the games and made them memorable, TBH I feel most dissappointed where weapon sounds are at right now, they have this too childish & silly feel to them, making fun of UT's past more "serious" arena FPS take-on.
              I agree that sound is quite important to the feel of the weapon an in UT in general. As for the heft and scariness, as much as it can be quite subjective. I do agree that the weapon sounds should be more aggressive. Much like the rest of the game, the sounds are a work in progress, there hasn't been much done in terms of mastering and finalizing and most of the time has been spent on coming up with different possible sounds for each weapon and playtesting them.

But for sure, aggression and scariness needs to be injected into these sounds. I appreciate the feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by Danko955 View Post
                i just copied this from other topic and changed a bit

I wish its primary was pure hitscan
                It is pure hitscan

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
                ^ Interesting but brave feedback to say such controversial thing as making Shock Rifle into a very fast travelling projectile based firemode but I'm kinda interested, gives that little bit more reaction time in dodging the still pretty large shock combo radius and makes sense as a medium range focusing weapon. Further I'd think it would look very cool when seeing the very long projectile beam travel across the space in say CTF-Face. Should be very fast projectile though no doubt so it doesn't change it radically. My biggest fear in doing that would be hit detection... probably not feasable for a very high projectile speed, hitscan is that much easier to handle than a fast projectile netcode wise.
                The moving combo would near impossible if that was the case, To combo you would stand still or run is straight lines with crosshair on core if it wasnt hitscan. You miss lots of the time even now when it is hitscan due to netcode.
                Join the community Facebook page
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Firstly, thank for bringing the LR back in UT, as it was something requested by the community. I'm really glad that you put time to recreate it.

Now I should say that's... not quite what I expected, but I do appreciate that you're actually exploring new ways to make it a truly unique weapon and not just a second Sniper.

Art wise, I'm kinda disappointed that you choose this model instead of Aberiu's one (in this thread : https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...htning-Gun-WiP). Maybe there's a specific reason, which I can totally understand, but the current seems way too bulky for its purpose (or what you seems to aim). It's supposedly a Rifle, more in the line of the Shock or Sniper, with a precise but powerful shots of electricity, so you're expecting something more sleed, that better contains the flow of energy to direct it. Right the open, two rails system looks like it can disperse and lose a lot of this energy, or deliver it in a wider area (kinda like Winston's tesla weapon in Overwatch).
                  Aberiu's design actually possess these elements way more, as well as a really well done color palette, which is a good hint at UT2's LR and would probably please to the fan of this opus.
                  I don't want to talk too much on the projectiles and sounds, as it's a really early WIP, more than the model, and it's also heavily linked to the gun's function.

Gameplay wise, I'm not to keen on the projectile for primary. Especialy if it's a stream of electricity, it's hardly convincing. Instead I would keep a hitscan based attack, and maybe try this function : when you succesfully shot an opponent, the next attacks with this weapon will deal more damage. Thing is, the stacking bonus only stay for a very short time, so if you miss too much you'll waste the potential for this weapon. The damage start relatively low, but if you possess a godlike aim you'll be a monster with it.
                  I like the secondary idea, but I would change a few things with it. Firstly, do not put a passive charging. Make it so that you have to hold the primary to charge up, it will give more control for the players, and actually give them the opportunity to adjust their shot. A passive it's just too hard to handle in quick situations. Secondly I would adjut the number of bounce depending of the charge time : the longer you hold it, the more targets you'll hit. Thirdly, I would slightly reduce the initial damage, and make it so each bounce deals less damage.
                  Otherwise I'm fine with it and would like to especially keep the headshot potential.

Here's the end of my ranting... for now !

Again, thanks for putting it in the game, and hoping more will come (looking at the Razorjack, hehe).

Comment

Wait is the primary not hitscan?

Im under the impression it is hitscan but like shock primary its just the animation that makes it look projectile.

Comment

I played an offline match with bots on Chill with just the Lightning Rifle yesterday. Definitely a fun weapon to use and has great potential. And what better way to add to the coolness factor of the game than a gun that shoots lightning?

My number one piece of feedback on it would be to keep the projectile and hitscan dichotomy of the weapon's firing modes. Making primary hitscan would just be too similar to the Shock Primary.

The "tunnel vision" on the zoom is an interesting way of balancing its sniping capabilities, but I'm not sure how I completely feel about it just yet. It definitely keeps you from using it as a run-and-gun, ultra powerful sniper rifle, and that's a good thing.

The thing I'd like to be experimented with is how the weapon's charging mode works. Rather than having to wait for it to fully charge in order to fire it at full power, I'd like to see its damage charge increase linearly - similar to Widowmaker's sniper rifle.

The other thing I'd really really like to see, well, HEAR from the weapon, is a loud, intimidating, powerful crack of thunder. I loved UT2004's Lightning Gun but its sound was utterly pitiful - just a weak, hissing spark. The tesla coil/arcing sound that we have now is OK, and I realize that (judging from the Link Gun's new sounds LOL) sound effects aren't a big priority at the moment, but I would absolutely love it if the Lightning Rifle sounded like it was shooting actual lightning bolts. Imaging hearing the occluded, distant thunder claps resounding throughout a level, or getting shot point-blank in the face with a LOUD lightning strike.
                      Last edited by «MechikTåj»; 01-25-2017, 10:24 PM. Reason: n

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post
                        Wait is the primary not hitscan?

Im under the impression it is hitscan but like shock primary its just the animation that makes it look projectile.
                        Nope, the primary is indeed a projectile. It's even said by the devs in the new patch note when you open up the game and in the official patch note video. It's a rather fast moving projectile, but still a projectile the enemy can dodge.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
                          Nope, the primary is indeed a projectile. It's even said by the devs in the new patch note when you open up the game and in the official patch note video. It's a rather fast moving projectile, but still a projectile the enemy can dodge.

Yeah was a bit slow this week, rewatched it. Crystal clear now.

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post
                            It is pure hitscan

no it isnt, you can see the projectile flying i would even dare to say slowly.
                            when you zoom it is hitscan but just its primary on left click isnt.
                            edit: yeah i didnt notice the msgs above

Comment

Originally posted by Danko955 View Post
                              no it isnt, you can see the projectile flying i would even dare to say slowly.
                              when you zoom it is hitscan but just its primary on left click isnt.
                              edit: yeah i didnt notice the msgs above
                              Yesthankyou
                              YEs thank you i worked it out just cant be bothered editing. i was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X