Melee weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melee weapon

Note that I am new to Unreal Tournament and arena shooters in general, so I am not sure if this could be put into the game without making it worse or even ruining it. But I'm still going to suggest it, because it might actually be a good addition to the game.

In most fps games you can use a melee weapon (usually immediately usable + another extra melee weapon that you have to wield, preventing you from using a gun) but in this game you can't. I think adding a melee weapon that would be usable immediately would likely be overpowered or annoying in certain situations. I'm talking about situations like being close to your enemy with a shotgun and quickly getting killed by him with the weapon multiple times during a match and other situations like quickly getting stabbed when you find an enemy near you. If your enemy would have to switch weapons first, you would have more time to react in those kind of situations.

The melee weapon I would suggest to be made is The Electric Blade. It will also get a secondary fire ability that allows you to throw your blade at your enemy, this ability will have a limited range and will only be usable once every 3 minutes. The secondary fire will be prohibited in elimination game modes like showdown. You will have this weapon immediately when you spawn, but you will have to switch to this weapon like with any other weapon. (you can't press a certain button to use it immediately)

I've made a 2D drawing to give you an idea of what it could look like. The weapon is supposed to be the length of a link gun and the width of an enforcer, so it's not a knife. The colour of the Electric Blade could be silver, gold, the colour of iron, or the colour of steel. And the electricity could be any colour, I would suggest it to be yellow or blue.
    Attached Files

Hello! Welcome to UT.

There's a melee weapon since the 1999's Unreal Tournament: the Impact Hammer.

If you can't use it in DeathMatch, it is due to a temporary removal to this gamemode, for balance purposes. But, if you play Capture The Flag, it is available.

-Luigi Rapetta
    (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
    Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
      Hello! Welcome to UT.

There's a melee weapon since the 1999's Unreal Tournament: the Impact Hammer.

If you can't use it in DeathMatch, it is due to a temporary removal to this gamemode, for balance purposes. But, if you play Capture The Flag, it is available.
      Don't you have to charge it up to deal a good amount of damage with it?

Comment

Yes. You can also use a single "shot" to deal 20HP. To hit an enemy, you also have to get in contact with him/her. There's a tutorial for it in the Weapons Tutorial Map.

This is the current iteration. Developers explained they're going to make a second version of it with more intuitive mechanics.

-Luigi Rapetta
        (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
        Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Your picture looks like electric banana, lol. Good one for throwing weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAK07 View Post
            Your picture looks like electric banana, lol. Good one for throwing weapon.
            i lol'ed when i saw it :P

Comment

Originally posted by Albouzin View Post
              i lol'ed when i saw it :P
              Thanks for good words. Check my others (maybe) funny posts. LOL

Take care man

Comment

I predict that if the game is released without an impact hammer in deathmatch, the most popular mod by far will be adding the impact hammer to deathmatch

Now, I've been playing UT for the better part of two decades now and I'm still modding UT2004 Those who don't like the impact hammer really don't have to use it. It's not a big deal, but I understood the impact hammer the first time I used it and not having it there is straight up jarring to me. Plus, after the weapon tutorial, I decided UT4's iteration is the nicest so far, even though it's basically the same as the rest in mechanics.

I beg of you, on behalf of myself and all of my crabby old UT playing friends, please put it back.

Comment

I miss it so much, there have been so many times where i have the opportunities for a melee kill, but don't have anything to do it with. OK, it might be underused, but, frankly, in which ranged-weapons-focused FPS do you see a lot of usage of melee weapons (not talking about something like Counter-Strike where running with a knife makes you run faster)? A fps game without a melee weapon seems just ... weird.
                  This forum post was sponsored by coffee, cigarettes and procrastination at work.
                  I tweet occasionally at @pundurs and stream embarrassingly bad game play on my Twitch.

Comment

Working...
                  X