A new Link Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new Link Gun

This thread is first and foremost dedicated to discuss the "Linking" feature of the Link gun, NOT the firemodes damage or rate of fire.

Why?

To me the UT2k4 Link Gun's 'lock' feature was rather annoying, because sometimes when I was shooting the enemy, it would lock on friendly units instead. Then in UT3, the range for creating a link was so small, you practically never used it because of that. Staying that close would often just put you both in danger. While it's a nice thought to balance the game this way, the reward for that team effort was never worth it.

Reworking the 'link'

Since we finally have a saying in the matter, let's come up with a new concept for linking up players with the gun. Of course, those of you who prefer the UT2k4 or UT3 versions of the Link gun (or even the Pulsar from UT99) please voice it on this thread.

A new concept

Ideas that come to my mind:

UT2k4, Alt-fire Switching: Switching friendly/offensive alt-fire mode by pressing the Primary Fire button, much like how you switch firemodes on the Rocket launcher alt-fire in UT3 (cycling through spread, spiral and grenade). In friendly mode the laser snaps the friendly unit, much like in UT2k4.

UT3 style, shared energy: UT3 style Link Gun and linking, with a longer range, but with shared energy, meaning that if 2 guys are linked and they both are shooting, the shots won't be amplified. Additional players would add another 100% to the output of 1 person, energy sharing is still applied (4 players in, 2 shoot at 200%).

UT3 style, handicapped stacking: UT3 style Link Gun and linking with longer range, but WITHOUT shared energy, although at the cost of effectiveness. If 2 guys are linked, the damage output by each of them is 150% (or 130%, or 170%. Balancing needs experimenting), no matter what. Even when both are using it, but also when only 1 is using it. Additional players in the link would add only half of the power of the previous stack - 3rd player ads 25%, 4th ads 12%, 5th ads 6%... This is to prevent them from one-shotting you.

I created a poll too. Chose 'other' if you want a completely different Link Gun and specify below!
    UT99 Pulsar Gun (No links)
    24.24%
    UT2k4 Link Gun
    20.20%
    UT3 Link Gun
    18.18%
    UT2k4 style Link + Alt-fire switching
    12.12%
    UT3 style Link + Shared energy
    11.11%
    UT3 style Link + Handicapped stacking
    5.05%
    Other
    9.09%
    Last edited by InVader; 06-07-2014, 07:01 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Check out my work!
    | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
    | Localization

UT3 Primary, UT99 Secondary.
    DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Designer at Candango Games. Check my Gamasutra Blog.

Comment

Originally posted by luauDesign View Post
      UT3 Primary, UT99 Secondary.
      That's UT99 Pulsar gun, basically.
      Check out my work!
      | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
      | Localization

Comment

Originally posted by InVader View Post
        That's UT99 Pulsar gun, basically.
        I'm talking projectile speeds and damage too.
        DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Comment

The tertiary fire idea sounds cool. We'd have a tertiary mode for most weapons that way, and such a toggle is perfect for the middle mouse button

An alternative is using an entirely separate weapon for linking. Like the Mind Claw. Primary fire steals health from enemies, secondary fire links to team mates or heals vehicles/nodes.
          Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
          My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            An alternative is using an entirely separate weapon for linking.
            I'm way more into the idea of having different weapons/variations and have them put into the maps to work the way the Level Designer intends it to. Not all maps need to have all the core UT weapons, and not all maps need to have only the core UT weapons either.

Comment

what if i dont want any of this ? I dont like that its shooting loads of small projectiles with small damage. Its ok for spamming tight areas but nothing else. It should fire fewer projectiles, but decent damage. I want a more powerful primary with fast projectile speed but with a lot lower fire rate with bigger damage and increased projectile size. I want pulsegun primary being as good to have it as main weapon. Lets say we are playing ffa, no one would choose pulse/link if shock/flak/sniper/roket is present. I'd like to have pulsegun as a good close range weapon, possible counter weapon against flak cannon or rocket launcher.

Comment

Having experienced both 2k4 and ut3 style of linking, I can say I much prefer the later one. The thing is shooting another friendly to boost their DPS is very narrow and simply not fun (foregoing your own shooting).
                But the radius of link enabling is way too small. To balance it out, how about ammo being consumed at double or triple the rate, whilst also doubling (or maybe 50% is enough?) EACH player deals?

Edit: Its pulse gun ;P
                Last edited by Themisto; 05-31-2014, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Themisto View Post
                  I prefer ut3 style … shooting another friendly to boost their DPS is very narrow and simply not fun (foregoing your own shooting).
                  I rarely if ever hear this opinion. Can you explain why you don't find this fun?

Comment

Other: Bring back Unreal's stinger!
                    Creator of NewNet for UT99

Comment

Originally posted by Veggie_D View Post
                      I rarely if ever hear this opinion. Can you explain why you don't find this fun?
                      I think its a shallow type of fun. Gets old fast since its pretty easy to link a friendly with the sticky beam. And if your teammate is missing the shots, it becomes a complete negative to your team performance.

Comment

I think this would also be interesting to prototype (to see how fun it actually is):

Primary Fire:
                        -Left Mouse Button

Secondary Fire:
                        -Hold Right Mouse Button to start a lock-on throbber to whatever you were aiming at, friend or foe.
                        -When locked, keep holding Right Mouse Button, hold Left Mouse Button to fire a beam at the locked-on target if it is in range (even if you're not looking at it).
                        -Break lock when Right Mouse Button is released, or the lock-on target exits weapon range.

Variables:
                        1) Secondary weapon range needs to be far enough to make group repairs/damage boosts viable.
                        2) Secondary weapon range needs to be short enough that a locked-on enemy has a chance to escape.
                        3) Secondary weapon damage per second to enemies needs to be tuned according to 1) and 2).
                        4) Ranges in 1) and 2) do not necessarily need to be the same -- but that would be a good place to start.
                        5) If necessary, attacker move speed could be reduced when locked on to an enemy.

I know: An auto aim attack? In my UT? It works well enough for the AVRiL. Worth experimentation (if only to expand possibilities).

Comment

UT3's Link Gun linking functionality just wasn't satisfying to use because automatically doing the linking for you makes it feel like you're not actually doing anything. UT2004 linking gave you positive feedback and you could sustain the link in a meaningful way just by tracking your ally with your weapon.

UT2004 style linking is just clearly the better of the two, and while you might occasionally accidentally link an ally, you can always release the alt fire momentarily to break the unintentional link. If anything needs to be done, then it's just adding a "Sustained Time to Link Other Players" option - So your beam will only grab an ally after [a configurable] 0.25 seconds or something.
                          Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Phopojijo View Post
                            I think this would also be interesting to prototype (to see how fun it actually is):

Primary Fire:
                            -Left Mouse Button

Secondary Fire:
                            -Hold Right Mouse Button to start a lock-on throbber to whatever you were aiming at, friend or foe.
                            -When locked, keep holding Right Mouse Button, hold Left Mouse Button to fire a beam at the locked-on target if it is in range (even if you're not looking at it).
                            -Break lock when Right Mouse Button is released, or the lock-on target exits weapon range.
                            In other words: tertiary fire button (MMB) to select the target. Sounds like a fine idea as well.

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                            UT3's Link Gun linking functionality just wasn't satisfying to use because automatically doing the linking for you makes it feel like you're not actually doing anything. UT2004 linking gave you positive feedback and you could sustain the link in a meaningful way just by tracking your ally with your weapon.
                            Yeap. I didn't even know the UT3 Link Gun was supposed to do that. And when an enemy appears, everyone starts firing independently, breaking the link anyway...
                            Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                            My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Yeah, UT3 linking was terrible. It was only useful for healing nodes and vehicles when not under attack, and people had to stand close to each other, motionless.

UT2004 linking, however, was really fun. Remember AS-RobotFactory? People cooperated, organizing links between link turrets that are even not in direct visiblity.

For example, someone usually stood in the hole between those orange crates, the turret in the foreground linked him, and he in turn provided a link to the turret behind the crates.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Shot00000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	328839

This fragmovie also has some examples of link teamplay: first 20 seconds and at 1:05.
                              UT3: SpectatorUI

Comment

Working...
                              X