Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Community Challenge #1 - Make Something Go Boom!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tidal Blast, I think what he is trying to say is that you can already do all of that pretty easilly with Blueprint without having to write a single line of code. So why build a complex system on top of a simple system. If you want to change the affect, make a Blueprint based on the weapon, then change the effect

Comment

Is it possible to get a minimalistic code-only approach for a custom weapon including the use of states and content, just like you at Epic Games would create a weapon?

I know TimEh created a Starter kit but it would be good to know how you guys would create a weapon in order to fulfill the guidelines etc.
      ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
      ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

The starter kit already fulfills most of the guidelines. The only things it doesn't do are opening up more values to Blueprints and a lot of balance and functional tweaking. I'm pretty sure TimEh has already won this challenge only a couple days after it was started

Now that's only for the core weapons, though. I'm working on a lightning gun and hopefully TimEh has just helped people to realize they shouldn't bother much with the core weapons unless they want to tweak the values or learn how to make variables accessible from Blueprints.
        HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
        BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
          Is it possible to get a minimalistic code-only approach for a custom weapon including the use of states and content, just like you at Epic Games would create a weapon?

I know TimEh created a Starter kit but it would be good to know how you guys would create a weapon in order to fulfill the guidelines etc.
          Thanks RattleSN4K3. I didn't think of it until I saw your post. Probably the best stuff to go by is the previous games code http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/UnrealScript_source_code. Sure it's all UnrealScript but it should give you enough to do it "The Epic way"

I'm pretty sure TimEh has already won this challenge only a couple days after it was started
          Try not to think of these challenge's as something to "Win". Or even think that working on a parallel implementation would be a waste of time. Other than the self improvement side of things, there are many ways to solve a problem and everybody has their own way to do it. Having multiple of the same weapons, we can pick the best stuff from each and narrow down the "best" way to do things.

...hopefully TimEh has just helped people to realize they shouldn't bother much with the core weapons unless they want to tweak the values or learn how to make variables accessible from Blueprints
          Well that backfired. I was trying to get it within everyone's reach to work on the core weapons.

Comment

Not talking about Blueprints as these do have good examples with the prototypes. There is no subclassed C++ weapon in the code base I use (since i do have an expired subscription it's outdated so i'm not sure if there is one in the latest build).
            Revision: fcc4e930de147d88520694f8ce10fb12dcf5e8a3
            Author: Joe Wilcox <MAIL_REMOVED>
            Date: 13.06.2014 04:17:30

#ut

[CL 2104023 by Joe Wilcox in UT branch]
            The starter kit doesn't use any State logic. The UE3 code base heavily relies on states. This is what i'm interested in. Looks like every custom/extended state must be created separately.

Edit @TimEh:
            I already use UT3's code base but i'm not sure how to (or if I should) use states as it is nice feature to keep the code logic structured.
            Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 06-17-2014, 01:19 PM.
            ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
            ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Also keep in mind that we are interested in considering alternate functionality for some weapons. So even if someone else has created a version of a 'stock' weapon don't let that stop you from trying out some alternative firing modes or new features. In particular the impact hammer has never had an alternate fire we've been particularly happy with.

Comment

Originally posted by TimEh View Post
                Try not to think of these challenge's as something to "Win". Or even think that working on a parallel implementation would be a waste of time. Other than the self improvement side of things, there are many ways to solve a problem and everybody has their own way to do it. Having multiple of the same weapons, we can pick the best stuff from each and narrow down the "best" way to do things.
                I don't think I spoke very well in this last post lol... When I said win I mostly meant that you completed the "challenge" as specified. Now people need to make their actual weapons. What you did is a good thing.
                Well that backfired. I was trying to get it within everyone's reach to work on the core weapons.
                Originally posted by Mysterial View Post
                Also keep in mind that we are interested in considering alternate functionality for some weapons. So even if someone else has created a version of a 'stock' weapon don't let that stop you from trying out some alternative firing modes or new features. In particular the impact hammer has never had an alternate fire we've been particularly happy with.
                LOL, oops! I know that working on the core weapons is still a good idea, just the basics of getting it working is already taken care of. After I messed with it for a couple of days, I was hoping for a better more fleshed out example and that's what TimEh gave. But it did kind of superseded anything I thought I had figured out
                HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

I have 2 questions.

whats the deadline for submitting the blueprints/weapons?

if i get the subscription i get it for 30 days or for the current month? i wont have time to do anything this week and i dont want to pay a full month for 1 week..

Comment

How exciting! Yeah, go create some awesome weapons so I can pair it up with some sweet gun Sound Effects! Good luck guys!

Comment

Ive been thinking about this for years or since the classic UT99 GOTYE days, i once was collaborating with a UT modder guy about customizing weapons & sharing ideas & we had the discussion about making a grenade for a weapon choice & you know what? it has stuck with me & after playing some other FPS games, it would be a great & fun item to add into UT if at all possible, or even a consideration, apologies if this isnt the correct thread to post this but alas, again, i am a noob.

Id say the grenade would have to explode quite quickly for it to be functional as a weapon...

FRAG ON !!!!

Comment

It seems you got your GL idea right here, as it came true.
                        Though I wonder if weapon suggestions will be still be open at least for the game, although I deeply miss the ripper, I know why it was discarded, but I would like the team consider it again and fix it to make it kind of skillful like the flak cannon while keeping its basic spirit of a second weapon of mass decapitation.
                        I always was sad since UT2003 that there is no other weapons with HS capability aside of the snipers in UTs

My only ideas are make it shoot at slower rate
                        Make the disks wider and faster
                        Ammo count, between 30 - 50

Comment

Working...
                        X