Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shield Gun, Impact Hammer you say? I say Melee!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shield Gun, Impact Hammer you say? I say Melee!

This is kind of a teaser of a prototype I want to make in the future, sure the Impact Hammer is iconic and brutal and the shield gun was cool and defensive, but what if we had some kind of special high tech energy gauntlets that morph out of your gloves (think transformers on equip/selection or just built into your gloves). They would have the charge up effect of an impact hammer to unleash a devastating punch or tapping for multiple punches as you would for the hammer pressing primary fire.

What about shield/impact hammer jumping? Well if it's still going to be in the new Unreal Tournament, the secondary fire instead of having a shield or EMP, I was thinking some kind of cone push mechanic for the secondary fire (think Jedi force push or air pressure buildup). It would allow you to charge up to a certain short range/distance as well as effect the range/height of the jump as the impact hammer/shield gun would work as well do personal damage if you are too close to a wall or aiming at the ground to mimic the negative effect of using the hammer/shield gun this way. Also maybe allow it to push/deflect projectiles with the right timing such as rockets as a defensive maneuver, and also knock a moving vehicle off course trying to cause vehicular manslaughter to you (mostly the manta and light weight vehicles, if there is even going to be vehicles).

As for players I don't think the "energy push" should effect them maybe if they are in the air and close enough but don't want to make the gameplay unfamiliar. Would be interesting through to be able to boost a team mate in the air.

Anyway found these pictures on the internet for some visualization reference.
    https://d2fzf9bbqh0om5.cloudfront.ne...jpg?1373837611

https://d2fzf9bbqh0om5.cloudfront.ne...jpg?1373837589

Anyway let me hear your feedback, be kind.
    Also if you could think of a cool name for it that would be helpful. Was personally thinking Gravity/Pressure Gauntlets.
    Last edited by Esula; 06-11-2014, 04:44 AM.
    [Concept] Impact Hammer: Alternative Fire
    [Concept] Game Mode: Infiltration

Honestly I'm for this.
    How much more satisfying is it to punch someone dead in the face, than to ram a weird air gun into them? I've personally never really felt the appeal of the Impact Hammer, especially the UT3 version was completely unsatisfying to use. The Shield Gun I have a special relationship with, as I used to play a lot of trial maps in UT2004, but I'd also rather not see it return.

So yea, melee bashing madness over an Impact Hammer for me.
    One thing that was also completely boss was the melee sword in UT99's Chaos. You could conjure up a cool concept similar to that; a high-tech sword that folds out or something.

Comment

Have you seen my suggestion for Impact Boots? They're essentially Impact Hammers that you wear on your feet, eliminating the need for a separate melee weapon. Kick with a quick kick key, or charge up for a ludicrously powerful, guaranteed-body explosion strong kick. Chargeable jumps, too, and damage is dealt to opponents just by landing on them. The higher the fall, the greater the damage.

I also proposed a "dash" archetype for button-press dodges. Dodge into somebody and you knock them back, killing their momentum. Dodge into an airborne opponent (someone who has just begun to jump, or is landing from a jump) and you'll send them ragdolling across the room.

This kind of stuff sound similar to what you were thinking? I'd like to see a greater focus on melee than a one-off weapon that gets used about 1% of the time, like the impact hammer/shield gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Esula View Post
        This is kind of a teaser of a prototype I want to make in the future, sure the Impact Hammer is iconic and brutal and the shield gun was cool and defensive, but what if we had some kind of special high tech energy gauntlets that morph out of your gloves (think transformers on equip/selection or just built into your gloves). They would have the charge up effect of an impact hammer to unleash a devastating punch or tapping for multiple punches as you would for the hammer pressing primary fire.
        That's what Juggernauts used in UC2, pretty much. Well, maybe a bit more similar to the Liandri Hammers from your description.

But yea, I would like the twist of there being melee weapons, especially if they were species-specific in their appearance.
        Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
        My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

totally dig it, impact hammer was always the worst melee weapon in the history of vidya for me. And I hate the charging up part the most for utility.

Comment

I like the impact hammer the way it is, with charging and everything else.

Melee attacks seem weird to me. How do you want to boost yourself that way? You punch the wall or floor? Charging should also stay in the game, otherwise the impact hammer get's to strong.
            Signature removed, over allowed size

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyKong View Post
              I like the impact hammer the way it is, with charging and everything else.

Melee attacks seem weird to me. How do you want to boost yourself that way? You punch the wall or floor? Charging should also stay in the game, otherwise the impact hammer get's to strong.
              Well my idea for boosting is in my post, if you read more than the title. Also mastermanaic suggested an impact boots idea that could work with it also.

Think Iron Man! lol
              http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/sc...-man-boots.jpg
              Last edited by Esula; 06-12-2014, 05:45 PM.

Comment

If boots have a role in the game I guess it's only fair for gloves to have a role, but i wouldn't want to see it be as a weapon. Sticky gloves would be cool, you could bail from a vehicle or use jump boots or jump pads to connect with ceilings and overhangs for a period of time and then get the drop on unsuspecting saps that come by. Perfect for hiding above doorways and the like!

Is punching satisfying? Yeah, in a martial arts game. As far as boosting, when you are against big armored opponents, and heavily armored yourself, using your arm as a tool to boost yourself seems stupid, I'm afraid.
                Kicks? Don't even get me started with how goofy that would appear. We may as well turn this into Mortal Kombat if we're going to start bringing all that stuff in. UT is about WEAPONS and TOOLS.

Seems like we need to find something with a similar function to a hybrid of the hammer/shieldgun, but rebalance it or give it a new power.

The EMP was actually useful in every gametype and that is great. You could not only disable vehicles but steal powerups.

Shield was essential in so many game modes in 2k4, and saved your butt sometimes when being shot from a Raptor, or jumping a long way in race maps. It wasn't just about protecting from hitscan spam.

I wouldn't really mind seeing a hybrid that did all 3 - boost, shield and EMP.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

None the less melee or not, I really would like to see something new and refreshing rather than people fighting over the impact hammer and shield gun over and over. Although I really like the combination of melee for primary and impact boots for secondary boosting now.

Comment

I like this idea!
                    Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

Working...
                    X