Laser Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Laser Rifle

One of the less remembered, but really cool weapons that I'd love to see reincarnated is the Laser Rifle from Unreal II. I might make a quick video showing how it worked in the original, but simply put, the primary fire was a pinpoint accurate hitscan laser shot, while the secondary fire was a short-range beam that sets enemies on fire, similar to the Link Gun, but actually powered by a lot of small slow projectiles, so when you swing it around it feels like swinging a whip around, instead of a bar like the Link Gun does.

Now I realise that this is not very original as it's mostly a mix of what we already have in the Shock Rifle and the Link Gun. So I thought of something more original, but still very much fitting a Laser Rifle: a continuous, accurate, long-range beam that does damage over time. Basically, think of the Ion Painter (or if you only played UT3, the AVRiL beam), but with the beam itself actually doing damage. I think that would bring in some interesting gameplay dynamics, especially in vehicular gametypes, as it's useful at long ranges.

Epic asked us to make prototypes, and while right now I can't do that myself due to the fact it's currently my exam session, I think making a prototype of this would be really easy. If someone wants to try, start out by taking the Link Gun and simply increase the beam length to some really high value, and lower the damage dealt. For the other fire mode, a scope can be added by reusing the code from the Sniper Rifle.

Perhaps some other ideas, especially for the alt fire, could be thought up, too. I think the concept of a laser rifle by itself is worth exploring.
    Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
    My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

So here's how the original looked like:

As mentioned, these abilities are rather redundant when looking at UT weapons, but I feel it would fit in nicely if it used the "damaging Ion Painter laser" concept.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      So here's how the original looked like:

As mentioned, these abilities are rather redundant when looking at UT weapons, but I feel it would fit in nicely if it used the "damaging Ion Painter laser" concept.
      To me it is more of a flame pulse gun, which would be like the flamethrower.
      History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
      UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
      UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
      UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Originally posted by SDAHeatWave View Post
        To me it is more of a flame pulse gun, which would be like the flamethrower.
        Yes, the alt fire is very similar to that of the Flamethrower, just a lot thinner.

But like I said, I'd rather focus on the primary fire for now, and I think a sustained laser beam that does damage over time would be both interesting and fitting the theme of a laser rifle.

Comment

Working...
        X