No announcement yet.

Combination of different Melee weapons in Unreal games: The Charge Hammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Combination of different Melee weapons in Unreal games: The Charge Hammer

I was thinking very hard about all the melee weapons in the Unreal games: Impact Hammer (UT99/UT3), Shield Gun (UT2k3/4) and the Swords, Lances and Gauntlets from UC2, and I decided that they should all have their positives incorporated into one weapon.

The Charge Hammer would have:

- the up close piston damage from the impact hammer
    - the turtle shield from the shield gun
    - the air dash from the UC2 weapons

Things that could also be added are:

-The Grappling ability from being on the Hoverboard
    -The team boosting ability from the Shield Gun

Basically it would work like this. Primary fire charges the weapon like usual. If you just run into someone with it, it'll act just like the impact hammer, hurting the enemy as hard as the weapon is charged. Secondary fire will also be a charge up but, as soon as the charge is released the player will jump automatically and momentarily air dash forward quickly, without a weapon and any enemy directly in front will take a bit of damage. The longer the charge the further the dash. At maximum secondary charge release, the dash not only goes further but also releases a momentary turtle shield that protects the player until the player touches the floor after the air dash.

I think with this Epic's sprint idea can also be incorporated. After the air dash you can continue holding down "W" and your character will continue running at a higher speed than usual with no turtle shield and no weapon (i.e. completely vulnerable) with a very tight turning angle. The sprint can then be cancelled by pulling back with "S" and into a quick slide animation (very quick without added advantages).

I think this weapon could basically be the definitive on foot equipment for traversing large terrain in VCTF and ONS/WAR maps, and makes a lot more use of an underutilized weapon. It also makes more sense within the universe of Unreal. This idea is partly inspired by MegaMan X's Giga Attack from MMX4, which I love. Hmm...should it be called the Giga Hammer instead?
    Last edited by Nation Uprise; 06-16-2014, 03:23 PM.

Hmm, neat!
    The "turtle shell" of the Shield Gun felt to me OP in UT2kX. IMO you should try to do something about it.
    The new UT is coming along nicely...
    Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Thanks, finally someone said something about it. I was expecting a bit more people to give their opinions of whether it was a good idea or bad. Anyway, I was thinking the temporary shield would be a sort of reward for the user having charged secondary fire to max. This way the user isn't completely vulnerable during an air dash, as he would be airborne for awhile and easily susceptible to hitscan fire. Plus, the shield would only be up until the air dash finished and the player would touch ground. So it'd be a momentary frontal defense for being unable to change direction and being weaponless during the air dash animation.

Comment

Well, that's the thing, the "weapon for traversing large terrain" is the Translocator or the Hoverboard or a jetpack. I don't think there is any reason to make another one.
        Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
        My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

I actually did something very similar to this for UT3 I just never got around to releasing it, I limited the players running similar to the Demo mans charge in Tf2 though so players couldnt exploit the movement to generally get around the map faster. But I had it so you could only sprint with the impact hammer so you could close ground quickly and hit people, I had a reasonable charge delay on the sprinting as well, it actually worked really well as the mutator was named Carnage.
          Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Well, that's the thing, the "weapon for traversing large terrain" is the Translocator or the Hoverboard or a jetpack. I don't think there is any reason to make another one.
            Well, this is meant mostly for replacing the Hoverboard since I think it never really fit within the Unreal universe. Like I said it would be mostly for vCTF and ONS/WAR, since those gametypes use the Hoverboard. Without a doubt in regular CTF matches the Traslocator is better, but the Charge Hammer could also play a small tactical part in using it right before picking the flag up, by air dashing into it. This way the flag runner could activate either the temp shield, for momentary protection, and/or activate the sprint feature. But obviously with a tight turn angle, the flag runner would have to be careful to not run into walls or he'll be dead meat, on top of the fact that in sprint they'll be unarmed.

Also, forgot to mention that if a flag carrier tried to use the Charge Hammer's air dash while carrying the flag, then the player would drop the flag immediately when the air dash is performed, like when trying to translocate, that way it isn't abused.

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
            I actually did something very similar to this for UT3 I just never got around to releasing it, I limited the players running similar to the Demo mans charge in Tf2 though so players couldnt exploit the movement to generally get around the map faster. But I had it so you could only sprint with the impact hammer so you could close ground quickly and hit people, I had a reasonable charge delay on the sprinting as well, it actually worked really well as the mutator was named Carnage.
            Sounds cool. Seems like something I'd really like to check out, too bad it wasn't released.

Comment

Originally posted by Nation Uprise View Post
              Well, this is meant mostly for replacing the Hoverboard since I think it never really fit within the Unreal universe. Like I said it would be mostly for vCTF and ONS/WAR, since those gametypes use the Hoverboard.
              I see. The thing is that while the Hoverboard stylistically certainly doesn't fit, its grappling ability goes a long way to promote teamwork. So changing the Hoverboard into a Tron Hovercycle would solve the stylistic issue while keeping the mechanics advantages. On the opposite side, the XMP jetpacks don't do much for teamwork, but they allow defending against enemies at all times. Your idea here sounds like the worst of both worlds – the helplessness of Hoverboards and the lack of a team aspect of jetpacks...

Comment

yep.. something like this should replace the hoverboard.. Eliminate ragdolling and just deduct any damage taken while on it from the regular player health pool.

DANG YOU UT2K4 KIDS! GET OFF MY LAWN!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  I see. The thing is that while the Hoverboard stylistically certainly doesn't fit, its grappling ability goes a long way to promote teamwork. So changing the Hoverboard into a Tron Hovercycle would solve the stylistic issue while keeping the mechanics advantages.
                  The grappling has very little to do with the Hoverboard itself other than only being able to do grapple while on it. I believe that it could've been done entirely without the hoverboard. That grapple rod could've been its own equipment or its properties could've been given to a different weapon. Like if you switched to the grapple rod and attached to a friendly vehicle it would give the player a sort of anti-grav force field while being dragged behind. Basically, I'm saying that this behavior can be given to anything, including the Charge Hammer. Aim it at a nearby friendly vehicle, fire secondary and viola! Grapple.

On the opposite side, the XMP jetpacks don't do much for teamwork, but they allow defending against enemies at all times. Your idea here sounds like the worst of both worlds – the helplessness of Hoverboards and the lack of a team aspect of jetpacks...
                  I don't get what you're trying to say about the jetpacks here. At first you say that they "don't do much for teamwork" and then you say "and the lack of a team aspect of jetpacks." Either way, I think that what more closely resembles a jetpack in the UT universe is the jump boots. So that role seems to already be filled by an existing item. Plus, with all the talk of people against dodge jumps I'd think that a jetpack that suspends you in air for a good amount of time would seem like a bad thing.

With this idea of mine, I'm trying to come up with something new or different. The easy thing to do would be to just change the awkward looking hoverboard into something more appealing and just give it all the same uses, but I'm trying to think outside of what's already been done.

Comment

I don't get what you're trying to say about the jetpacks here. At first you say that they "don't do much for teamwork" and then you say "and the lack of a team aspect of jetpacks."
                    Yes? They don't do much for team work, in other words, they lack a team aspect. You can't boost each other or otherwise interact.

Either way, I think that what more closely resembles a jetpack in the UT universe is the jump boots. So that role seems to already be filled by an existing item. Plus, with all the talk of people against dodge jumps I'd think that a jetpack that suspends you in air for a good amount of time would seem like a bad thing.
                    XMP jetpacks are nothing like the jumpboots. The jetpacks give you a dodge jump and a double jump (quite a bit further going than the UT2004 versions). People who are against dodge jumps are only talking about non-vehicular gametypes. They make perfect sense in vehicular ones.

Comment

The boosting skipped my mind when you were talking about the team aspects but, you're right, jetpacks didn't have any of that. If Epic decided that boosting should return, it is possible with my idea since it has the primary of Impact Hammer and a fully charged secondary produces a temp shield. So air dashing into a teammate who's charging his Charge Hammer could produce a boost.

Yes, the Jetpacks aren't exactly like Jump Boots, but they're similar. The Jetpacks were more for scaling higher terrain than for moving across large distances fast, like Jump Boots. The only reason hitscan weapons weren't much of a problem in XMP is cause there was only a few of those weapons, and they were distributed between the different classes. In UT, where one player can get every hitscan weapon in their arsenal, it would be a dream for them to have an enemy constantly jump jetting around. Same reason why dodge jump isn't well liked among some people here.

The ideas I've put into the Charge Hammer I think keep most of the functionality of the older melee weapons, still allows for most skilled trick jumps and also makes it something that can maybe replace the Hoverboard. I think of some of the impressive trick jumps that could be done with the Charge Hammer and it makes me really anxious to see it become real. With adding some of the extra functionality of boosting and grappling, is there something else that's missing or wrong with this idea?
                      Last edited by Nation Uprise; 06-16-2014, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X