Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shock rifle idea

Just idea for shock rifle.
    Secondary fire, the shock ball bounces of wall/floor one time when you shoot it.
    Imagine combos you could do with that.

What you guys think?

The Unreal II Shock Lance primary had the projectiles reflect off walls (although not the alt fire ball). So maybe it's not a bad idea. Although shock combos are powerful as it is...
    Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
    My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Some guy made a prototype of this, I think that is an amazing idea, imagine the possibilities, however that should consume more ammo for the sake of a balanced game. Is a real fresh air to the game. Because right now regarding weapons, everything is the same from 15 years ago.
      ◄ Competitive Map Pack 2
      ◄ Competitive Map Pack 1
      ◄ Characters Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by Axis_Zaibot View Post
        Some guy made a prototype of this, I think that is an amazing idea, imagine the possibilities, however that should consume more ammo for the sake of a balanced game. Is a real fresh air to the game. Because right now regarding weapons, everything is the same from 15 years ago.
        Love it! The combo at 00:44-00:49 really nails it down.
        Snir "DDRRE" Hassidim - Living and breathing UT since 2002!
        "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
        Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

That looks awesome. I like it. Nice idea and could be a good change to the game.
          youtube.com/gamerasc | My UT3 Competitive Weapons Mutators: NERForcer & TGM

Comment

uhh, this is amazing... I want this. Add this please.
            [Concept] Impact Hammer: Alternative Fire
            [Concept] Game Mode: Infiltration

Comment

Shock is already the most overpowered weapon on most maps, mostly due to combos being able to reach behind walls and other kinds of cover. This only makes it even more effective, which we do not want. Cool idea for sure, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Barktooth View Post
                Shock is already the most overpowered weapon on most maps, mostly due to combos being able to reach behind walls and other kinds of cover. This only makes it even more effective, which we do not want. Cool idea for sure, though.
                I think it will actually reduce shock core spam. You could also "balance" the shombo overall by reducing the number of cores you can have active at any given time to 2. I always hated shock core spam anyway.

Edit: additionally, in my opinion, shombos always did too much damage. That's the main reason it was such a powerhouse. The idea is basically make it less hard, instagib and spammy, but easier with lower damage and a higher skill ceiling. Meaning slower bigger core (2k3) with lower damage, reduced active cores and bounce. Sounds good on paper at least.
                Last edited by Tetsu; 07-25-2014, 10:04 AM.

Comment

It's awesome! I don't see why it should cost more ammo than a normal combo though.

It would also work better with UT99 Shock Core speed instead of slow UT2004 ones or accelerating UT3 ones (but smaller Combo hitboxes like in the newer games), fixing the problems of spam and close range combos, unless you bounce it to gain that space, which takes more skill anyway but risks your own Shock Core being blasted by the other guy. Higher speed increases the minimum distance you can use a Shock Combo (and makes it harder to hit bounced Cores if they exist) balancing the weapon better.
                  Last edited by luauDesign; 07-26-2014, 08:42 AM.
                  DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Designer at Candango Games. Check my Gamasutra Blog.

Comment

Originally posted by luauDesign View Post
                    It's awesome! I don't see why it should cost more ammo than a normal combo though.

It would also work better with UT99 Shock Core speed instead of slow UT2004 ones or accelerating UT3 ones (but smaller Combo hitboxes like in the newer games), fixing the problems of spam and close range combos, unless you bounce it to gain that space, which takes more skill anyway but risks your own Shock Core being blasted by the other guy. Higher speed increases the minimum distance you can use a Shock Combo (and makes it harder to hit bounced Cores if they exist) balancing the weapon better.
                    I tried fast moving cores first, but believe me when I say it sounds good on paper but it's sheer impossible to hit a bounced core like that. The instant change in direction while maintaining the same speed is just...well too much, for My brain at least. A little faster than in the vid would be possible but there really isn't much room. You can try it for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsu View Post
                      I tried fast moving cores first, but believe me when I say it sounds good on paper but it's sheer impossible to hit a bounced core like that. The instant change in direction while maintaining the same speed is just...well too much, for My brain at least. A little faster than in the vid would be possible but there really isn't much room. You can try it for yourself.
                      I can't run the UE4. I was thinking in the UT99 Core speed, as it looks just perfect.

What about the opposite of UT3 then? It'd start faster, then slows down gradually, with extra deacceleration, but no change in the minimum or immediate speed, after a bounce. It'd still increase the minimum range you can Combo but also make bounced Cores easier to hit (and dodge).
                      DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Designer at Candango Games. Check my Gamasutra Blog.

Comment

Interesting idea. But you probably end up with endless 'random kill' spammed shock balls bouncing around . Kinda like Portal or something .

Comment

I really like the idea, although my first concern was the same as Phoenix75's: It might get really spammy.

Bouncing cores taking more ammo is weird imo. After all, most cores will hit a wall at some point (unless you shoot up in the air and/or the map is not closed ). Either you don't want to make a combo or you can't. In consequence you'd end up without ammo pretty fast.

What about (heavily) reduced damage of cores once they bounced off a wall? Not just for cores but their combos as well.

Comment

Originally posted by luauDesign View Post
                            I can't run the UE4. I was thinking in the UT99 Core speed, as it looks just perfect.

What about the opposite of UT3 then? It'd start faster, then slows down gradually, with extra deacceleration, but no change in the minimum or immediate speed, after a bounce. It'd still increase the minimum range you can Combo but also make bounced Cores easier to hit (and dodge).
                            Well in the vid they are normal speed until they hit a wall, then slow down to a percentage/multiplier. That's basically how the engine handles the lifetime in the normal blueprint. So it was basically what you need to do, and it turned out quite right I think. but there are probably other ways to do it.

Originally posted by Phoenix75 View Post
                            Interesting idea. But you probably end up with endless 'random kill' spammed shock balls bouncing around . Kinda like Portal or something .
                            That's what I thought about first thing I saw it. It's probable that wildly chaotic random cores could be disturbing. Not sure tho.

Comment

I like it as is, but I think it would really need to be play tested with a few guys intentionally spamming cores to see if it was overwhelming.
                              I would like to try it though. keep up the good work.

Comment

Working...
                              X