Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weapon upgrade - earned by mastering a weapon during a match, or as a powerup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Weapon upgrade - earned by mastering a weapon during a match, or as a powerup.

What do you guys think of weapon upgrades?

To earn an upgrade It "could" be a pickup.
    Or when you get Combo King / Headhunter / BioHazard etc.. you will be rewarded with an upgrade to your weapon.
    • The pickup would be a specific pickup for the individual weapon.
    • The upgrade would not lose it's effect when you die (but it will go away at the end of a round).
    • You cannot stack the same upgrade to the same weapon.
    • The weapon model and projectile would be changed in some way so everyone knows you are dealing with an upgraded version.

Some example upgrades:
    • Rocket Launcher - Extra rocket
    • Shock Rifle - Combo bigger radius
    • Minigun - More Accuracy
    • Enforcer - Always double
    • Flak - More shards
    • Sniper / Lightning Gun - Faster fire rate
    • Bio - Bigger Charge
    • AVRIL - Faster fire rate
    • Link - Faster healing abilities
    • Ripper - more bounces
    • Redeemer - Faster missile flight
    • Hammer/Shield/Piston - Faster charge time
    • etc...

Why do this?
    Well obviously people love the feeling of advancement, and power.
    I also think this will actually help retain players longer in matches because if they leave or reconnect they will lose the upgrades they had earned during the match. I know it's a small thing but I know sometimes I will stay on a UT3 Titan server for longer just because I have a Titan I have not used yet.

Brings more or less the same problems like Adrenalin with it. So I guess most people will also dislike your idea.

As a pickup to which every player has access to, unless how skilled he are, would be the only possiible solution. A "give-the-winning-player-more-advantage" system wont be acepted, at least not in this form.

Comment

Yeap. Adrenaline and Titan are fun, but probably not good enough to be in the core game. And we already have UDamage and Berserk powerups.
      Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
      My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

While I'd love to come up with some form of player progression, I don't know if making it weapon based is the right idea. There are a lot of not so obvious costs to this idea such as how do mod authors cope with it, etc. Also keep in mind this wouldn't at all be a part of the initial alpha but I'd love to explore it as a long term feature.

Comment

custom skins that have zero bearing on weapon performance would be the only weapon unlockable/progression I think would be acceptable.
          DANG YOU UT2K4 KIDS! GET OFF MY LAWN!

Comment

I think artificial means to keep players playing game (round) to the end is a wrong approach to the problem. It should be done in some natural way - that is, gameplay should naturally be fun.

Originally posted by sanch3z View Post
            custom skins that have zero bearing on weapon performance would be the only weapon unlockable/progression I think would be acceptable.
            The OP is talking about per-match progression. However, "global" progression is an interesting topic to discuss, too.
            UT3: SpectatorUI

Comment

Originally posted by WGH View Post
              However, "global" progression is an interesting topic to discuss, too.

Sorry for the gif response, but I'm against the idea of something like that. Just thought it'd be sorta funny to use a gif instead of saying it over text.
              Attached Files

Comment

Words like progression shouldn't be even written while talking about weapons
                Big no

Comment

Keep it simple. Everywhere. So: no.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathking15 View Post

Sorry for the gif response, but I'm against the idea of something like that. Just thought it'd be sorta funny to use a gif instead of saying it over text.
                    It doesn't have to be something that changes gameplay by giving advantage to players who have played more (in fact, it should better not). There're other ways to encourage people to play more, like infamous hats.
                    UT3: SpectatorUI

Comment

So... RPG mod?

Comment

This pretty much reminded me of Unreal. The Dispersion Pistol would get an upgrade if you get the powerups for the weapon.
                        History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
                        UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
                        UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
                        UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Being able to challenge for trophies is kind of a progression which has been suggested, one person can hold a title for a while, then be randomly challenged for it, if they want badly enough to "progress" they play til they gain the title again. Maybe to make it more interesting the guy holding the trophy/title can even have some kind of "advantage" as long as he holds it - (however minor). maybe an unlocked weapon or something else neat to make others ooh and ahh and actually want to challenge for the title.
                          Last edited by HenrikRyosa; 06-14-2014, 05:44 PM.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                          Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

The best way I see this working is if it doesn't change the way the game operates. The first thing to me that comes to mind is being able to camouflage the weapon based on something such as headshots (so, how CoD did things). Adding/subtracting/adjusting a gameplay mechanic because you happened to get 10 enemies with a redeemer doesn't seem like a good idea. If instead doing all that gives you a different looking gun, but it still functions the same as the old one, then this could very well be a possibility. This also pans out well for the whole "sell mods" thing Epic is trying to introduce. You can retexture or remake the look of a gun, and it becomes unlockable? I dunno, just a suggestion, but this could end up being really cool.

Comment

I actually really liked Weapons of Power and RPG for UT2004, its where alot of my playtime was spent and I would have loved to see Epic do Invasion for UT3 instead of GoW3 with expansion on the Unreal Universe. This is the perfect place to include these types of ideas without people screaming an acting like we're ruining a game that was never technically theirs, I personally like the odds stacked against me so I can rise to the challenge, the idea of a perfectly balanced playing field bores the absolute **** outta me and alot of other people for that matter.

Quake Wars had something similar to this and I believe it was one of the most successful parts of the game, it made people strive to succeed and whilst it wasnt based purely on weapons, weapon upgrades was part of the match length XP system. It never really felt like grind because you could choose a different path each time, if there was a system like Dota 2 over the top then players who dont want to deal with it wouldnt really have to by choosing preselected builds.

UT was largely known for its variety not its core DM, kthx!
                              Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Working...
                              X