Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rocket Launcher, Flak, and Sniper = Clunky, Dumpy, and Slow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocket Launcher, Flak, and Sniper = Clunky, Dumpy, and Slow.

Yes. I know that this is an extremely early UT4 build. However, I'll still provide my pre, pre, pre alpha opinion.

Weapons:

Rocket Launcher: Projectiles are way too slow. I feel like I'm shooting Zeppelins.

Flak: Projectiles are too slow. It has an "under water" speed effect. I wouldn't be surprised if a player with 50 ping could forward-dodge into his own flak ball.

Bio: Works great, IMO.

Shock: Works great, IMO.

Sniper: This is probably the worst gun in the game. There is no reason the sniper should have a slightly delayed projectile. It should be hitscan - just like the primary shock rifle. Sanctions have already been in place to prevent the sniper from being abusive, e.g., helmet, rate of fire.

Piston: Works great, IMO.

Enforcer: OP. Reducing it's damage by 1 point would help out tremendously. Either that, or reduce it's rate of fire slightly. A starting weapon should not be rated among the top 3.

Stinger: Works great, IMO.

Pulse / Link: Works great, IMO. When the official model is released, I'm hoping the secondary beam is more solid - like UT99's Pulse or Quake Live's Lightening Gun.

Again, I know that this is an extremely early build. I also know that the weapon graphics and sounds that are being used were ported over from UT3. I'm looking forward to this eventually changing, as I hate the way the UT3 / UT4 alpha weapons sound.
    www.mouserpad.com

I feel the same way about Rocket/Flak/Sniper/Enforcer.

That being said - I'm not sure if it's propagated yet - Steve made a bunch of tweaks to Rocket/Flak yesterday that alleviate some of those issues. Namely rocket speed has been increased and flak shell arc/speed has been improved as well (though shells could still travel a bit faster IMO). Check it out if you get a chance.

Regarding enforcer - Personally I'd love to see burst fire go and be replaced by increased rof/spread along with akimbo (UT99 style) and a drop in damage. I really like the concept of having a decent-ish starter weapon that has the potential to get dangerous when you manage to steal somebody elses. That used to be a great mechanic in TDM to give yourself a chance to come back out of the hole when most of the weapons were locked down.

Comment

Originally posted by Clawfist View Post
      I feel the same way about Rocket/Flak/Sniper/Enforcer.

That being said - I'm not sure if it's propagated yet - Steve made a bunch of tweaks to Rocket/Flak yesterday that alleviate some of those issues. Namely rocket speed has been increased and flak shell arc/speed has been improved as well (though shells could still travel a bit faster IMO). Check it out if you get a chance.

Regarding enforcer - Personally I'd love to see burst fire go and be replaced by increased rof/spread along with akimbo (UT99 style) and a drop in damage. I really like the concept of having a decent-ish starter weapon that has the potential to get dangerous when you manage to steal somebody elses. That used to be a great mechanic in TDM to give yourself a chance to come back out of the hole when most of the weapons were locked down.
      Yeah. That's true. It wasn't until UT3 TDM that I learned to never leave an enforcer on the ground. Those things were brutal.
      www.mouserpad.com

Comment

I agree with the OP mostly. The game felt pretty good btw, I was pleasantly surprised.

The shock is okay but it's very easy to make moving combo's, maybe too easy.

The rocket launcher is a little too slow, it's very hard to predict even from little distance.

I think the flak needs most work, it's pretty slow and doesn't have enough 'arc' in the air. Which would give it advantage over a rocket launcher in some instances, but now it doesn't .

Comment

Nice topic! Fully agree with everything! Especially the sniperpart. And maybe for the shockrifle, an idea to further balance that thing, lower the rate of fire but increase the damage (shock primary that is)
          snT.ch, pagl.ch, pag.ch: UT 4 ever!

Comment

The rocket launcher feels much better in the new built.

Comment

I agree based on Chumbo's vids the rocket looks much better with the increased fire rate. One thing I would change is that the rocket accelerate faster the larger the distance(pick up speed) as opposed to a fixed speed.
              Current Projects

WIP: Weapon Inspect Animation: CLICK ME

Comment

That defenitely sounds like an idea worth trying. That accelerating speed might also make it easier to hit airrockets. One of the things I really like in the quake games.

Comment

Originally posted by Melt View Post
                  That defenitely sounds like an idea worth trying. That accelerating speed might also make it easier to hit airrockets. One of the things I really like in the quake games.
                  I assume accelerating speed would make it harder to predict where the rocket will be at different distances than a static speed. If not then I imagine it would be roughly the same difficulty to adjust to, I don't see how it would be easier to judge mid-air rockets.

Comment

The weapons are placeholders from UT3. The Rocket Launcher in UT3 was balanced for UT3 movement speed, but now that movement speed is faster I agree they should be faster.

Comment

Working...
                    X