My thoughts on the link gun and the general user experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thoughts on the link gun and the general user experience

I don't understand why the pull function of the link was changed to a system that is less reliable and more complicated. In the patch notes video of January 2017, this statement was said, "link pull only now activates on alt-fire release; before, it would be a combination of secondary fire and primary fire, but it had mixed messaging and not a lot of people knew how to activate the link pull."
    I'd argue that reality shows something completely different. Before the January 2017 patch, the link gun pull function was actually used by the players; however, ever since the January 2017 patch, I have not seen a single instance of anyone using the link pull function. I have been trying for 5 months to pull someone with the link gun, but I have not been able to do so. Not even once. Granted, I only use the link pull in certain situations; but if it's not used often, the pull function should be reliable when the time comes that the pull function is necessary, otherwise you get this situation: not used often + unreliable = why even bother trying? my hypothesis on why the function is rarely used now and why its difficult to accomplish is due to the impracticality of the new pull system--the link beam must be held on the opponent for .15 seconds, the average human reaction time to visual stimuli (the red circle appearing around the crosshair) is .25 (I was not able to find information on whether or not the situation is referring to when people are anticipating visual stimuli. I'm guessing that they're not anticipating stimuli so I will just have to guess that a reaction time of .1 or .15 is more accurate when the subject is anticipating visual stimuli). That would mean that the link beam must be held on the player for 0.35 seconds for the minimum amount of time for a link pull to be accomplished. 0.35 seconds doesn't sound long at all; but, when taking into consideration how agile UT movement is and that fact that the link user almost must focus some of their concentration in avoiding damage from other players, 0.35 can be a bit challenging to hold sometimes. Furthermore, the window of opportunity of when the link pull will prove to be useful (such as pulling players into the slime when you have fallen into the slime, or pulling players back down to the ground when they perform a lift jump or use a jump pad, etc.) may only last for 1 measly second; if you're lucky, you'll get 2 chances on trying to do something smart with the link pull function. My suggestion is to get rid of the time system the link pull. But if it does become over used and/or too powerful, then have the time before you can pull be 0.05-0.1 seconds rather than 0.15 seconds. In the video below, I had no problem pulling my opponent with the link pull function multiple times before the January 2017 patch. But after that patch, I have not been able to perform one pull :/

I would very much appreciate it if I heard from the devs, I usually get responses on POSSIBLE reasons why the devs did something, but I would like to hear WHY the devs did something.

https://youtu.be/b_HQ4C4yUGs?t=1m40s
    if the video starts at the beginning, just skip to 1 minute and 40 seconds.

"not a lot of people knew how to *insert function here* so we changed it or removed it."
    This sounds familiar, if I recall correctly, the impact hammer was removed for this reason: players who had never played the game before didn't know what the weapon was, so we removed it from dm and flag run. I think other features were removed or changed for this reason as well. I don't like this reasoning.

1) Players who first pick up the game won't know about the dodge mechanic, so lets remove it. Players who first pick up the game won't know about wall dodging, wall running, sliding, or alt-fire, so lets remove them.
    2) There are weapon and movement tutorials, I don't understand how this issue can even be taken seriously in the first place.
    3) How will players learn and gain any skill if the "obstacles" are removed? Players learn about the game through experimentation and knowledge gained from other players. "I don't know what this thing is, so i'll go ahead and figure out what it is."
    If UT99 and Unreal 1 had gone through the same "very new player friendly" cleaning like UT4 has undergone so far, I probably wouldn't be able to play at the level I do today, and I still have a long way to go.

I'm just getting tired of the 1% being so focused on by the developers, that the 99% often get left out when decisions are being made, thus, making the needs and wants of the many ignored, and making the needs and wants of the few, forced on everyone else. In addition, the trend of players hating game mechanics that hold the players hand doesn't seem to be losing any steam.

It's also entirely possible that there has been a major miscommunication in which I have wasted an hour attacking a straw-man. Looking back at my past, the latter isn't far-fetched.

Didn't they say the impact hammer was removed from Deathmatch because only like 1% of players used it or something. I think the real reason the impact hammer was removed from Death match is because of the complaints that skill players were exclusively using that weapon frequently. Could also be that they want for feedback on the main weapons for balancing.

Comment

Here is the reasoning for why the impact hammer was removed. As well as the link to the thread with the quote: https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...amp;viewfull=1

Impact Hammer’s Removal in FFA and Flag Run - More Details
      Functionally, the Impact Hammer is unintuitive. We’re playing around with widening our movement options by moving some abilities over to other weapons. (i.e. Grenade jumping) New players found the Impact Hammer confusing and it was frequently mistaken for a ranged weapon. We would love to prototype an updated version down the road, but for the time being it is a roadblock to making our game more approachable for new players.

"We’re playing around with widening our movement options by moving some abilities over to other weapons. (i.e. Grenade jumping)"

What? widening movement options by getting rid of the tool used to get to high places? By replacing it with a gun much harder to use for damage boosting!? what!? Damage boosting with the impact hammer was pretty simple; charge it up, look in the opposite direction of where you want to go, and fire. With the grenade launcher, the player now must take all 3 dimensions into consideration when they want to be boosted by the grenade, the angle of them-self and the grenade, and how far away they are from the grenade when they detonate it. Also, the grenade launcher takes up more health. With the impact hammer, the player only needed to take the angle of the of the propulsion into consideration. Furthermore, every player starts with the impact so they don't have to find it on the map and the impact hammer doesn't have ammo.

"New players found the Impact Hammer confusing and it was frequently mistaken for a ranged weapon."

Ok. Sure. "New players found dodging confusing, so we got rid of it. New players found wall running confusing, so we got rid it" and so on. I don't think it's possible for anyone new, to any game, to know EVERYTHING about that game.
      Last edited by 83R; 06-07-2017, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Hmm that is a bit of an odd explaination. The impact hammer in UT99 being mistaken as a ranged weapon sure but UT3's impact hammer, really? Either way I don't think it matters after trying the weapon once the player would know it is not a ranged weapon.

I don't think the impact hammer could really be a road block to new players but the grenade launcher is definitely more approachable as a jump boosting weapon because it is slower and the player can always be facing forwards. Newbie low skill players often seem to have an aversion to fast view adjustments and looking up or down more than 45 degrees or so. Some of that could be dew to their frame rate being too low, but there is also the issue of how most shooters have been for the past several years having a lack of verticality and a lack enemies surrounding or attempting to surround the player. And then ofcourse many new shooter players set their aim sensitivity way too high.

Jumping with the impact hammer was more fun too. Maybe the grenade launcher will get better but the fact that the impact hammer was a starting weapon and the grenade launcher is not is troubling.
        Last edited by Unreal Gladiator; 06-09-2017, 02:10 AM.

Comment

I think that is a better reason for them to remove impact hammer than their own explanation lol. But, another thing that kind of confuses me is why remove the impact hammer? If the new player wants to use the grenade launcher to boost themselves around the map, they still can, keeping the impact hammer doesn't remove the grenade launcher. Once the new player is comfortable with boosting themselves with the grenade launcher, they can move onto the impact; however, they'll have to move onto a new gametype to do that now. Not only will they have to learn the new gametype, now they learn about the impact hammer which is completely new to them which is will just add onto the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Unreal Gladiator View Post
            Didn't they say the impact hammer was removed from Deathmatch because only like 1% of players used it or something. I think the real reason the impact hammer was removed from Death match is because of the complaints that skill players were exclusively using that weapon frequently. Could also be that they want for feedback on the main weapons for balancing.
            I was spewing about that. its one of my most relied on weapons, that and dual enforcers which allowed me to do well against the best players. Without the hammer I just get owned by them.

Comment

Working...
            X