Impact hammer idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impact hammer idea

There is nothing more soul crushing and infuriating than spawning near or next to your opponent in a duel, and they decide to whip out the link gun. They know that there is no way you can escape. You can't out run them because everyone moves at the same speed, and you can't kill them because they're too stacked and you only have the enforcer. So, my idea is that the alt fire on the impact hammer should act like a solid wall, not just for weapons, but for players too. Then, the losing player can at least have a chance recover. If having the shield act as a solid wall is too extreme, then it can at least push back the player that it hits, like the shock rifle, but further. At least with the sniper rifle, shock, flak and rocket launcher, it's possible to dodge; the link gun however, has 0 penalty for missed shots, and it just makes sure that the freshly spawned player is screwed beyond recovery.

A freshly spawned player only has an enforcer and an impact hammer, it would be nice if there was a defensive weapon that the player could use, like the impact hammer that I'm suggesting.

I'm surprised at how often this scenario occurs, if you look at all of my duels, you'd see that this how I die about 30% of the time--not being able to dodge or get away from the link gun right after respawning.
    Last edited by 83R; 06-24-2017, 05:05 AM.

UT2004 has a shield as the alt fire on the hammer, So I don't see why not. I actually at one point thought the same thing.

Comment

83R You have never played ut2004? :O
      here's the "Melee weapon"
      https://mthec.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/utcn04.png
      Last edited by GishkiSoul; 06-24-2017, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Having played Unreal 1 all the way to Unreal Tournament 4, I'm quite aware of the shield gun. My problem is that the impact hammer's alt fire is supposed to be entirely defensive, however, it's so unreliable it's almost useless. I'm talking about UT4 here, hence the reason why I mentioned the enforcer and not the assault rifle. I don't know how sending me a pic of UT2k4's shield gun is relevant to this lol.

This is the UT4 forum right? It only says Unreal Tournament, but, it has UT4's logo.
        Last edited by 83R; 06-25-2017, 12:29 AM.

Comment

I wish they'd scrap the impact hammer and replace it with a shield gun.
          UT2004 Movement Mutator

Comment

Originally posted by 83R View Post

Having played Unreal 1 all the way to Unreal Tournament 4, I'm quite aware of the shield gun. My problem is that the impact hammer's alt fire is supposed to be entirely defensive, however, it's so unreliable it's almost useless. I'm talking about UT4 here, hence the reason why I mentioned the enforcer and not the assault rifle. I don't know how sending me a pic of UT2k4's shield gun is relevant to this lol.

This is the UT4 forum right? It only says Unreal Tournament, but, it has UT4's logo.
            Sorry, but I thought that such idea would have been accompanied by a "like UT2004". I have not tried the hammer many times, but maybe it has a sufficient defense ability. (?)

Comment

No Worries, I was just responding to the quote "You have never played ut2004?" But, I'd still rather have my idea of the impact hammer implemented or at least tweaked a bit, since it could help the player, who just spawned, get some distance from their opponent. The shield gun however won't help the player if they're being chased right off spawn since all the chaser has to do is wait for their shield ammo to run out.

Comment

Here is an example of spawn rape with the link gun and how the impact hammer might help with that.
                https://youtu.be/izxiUrD0Ltk
                If the impact hammer could do what I recommend it should do, I would prevented him from getting on the upper floor with me and could've had the potential to get away.
                Last edited by 83R; 06-29-2017, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Sprint made the primary fire on the impact hammer quite formidable, and helped the "all move at the same speed" issue a bit. I miss sprint, as I think it's a great tool for fighting overly defensive play styles. Most of the time you run head on into spam, but it gives you an alternative option if the situation is right.

I don't know why the impact hammer is basically nerfed into the ground. The recoil on the primary fire is debilitating, the switch away time is horrendous, and the fact that is has to charge means it's usually a life commitment to using it at all.

Alt fire on the impact hammer is useless because everything moves too fast. In cases like your video, this is the problem with hit scan. You can't dodge it, you can barely run from it to hide, and you can't block it without enabling the player to be massively, and spectator cripplingly defensive. The defense to this kind of spawn killing is "don't die" which further perpetuates the peek and poke play of competitive duels, and the general defensive nature of play in this game all around. Which is also bad for spectating.

The base movement and weapon tooling right now is that of a casual game. It makes for easy frags, and exciting-ish game play in overcrowded pub servers, but falls apart at the competitive level, and leaves nothing to those who desire challenging and rewarding game play.
                  Originally posted by Mysterial
                  An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Working...
                  X