Lightning Gun versus Sniper Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightning Gun versus Sniper Rifle

As for the standard sniper weapon, what should it be?

Personally, I think that the Lightning Gun is much cooler and more original against that boring Sniper Rifle.
    Lightning Gun
    59.84%
    Sniper Rifle
    40.16%

why not both

Comment

UT99 sniper was not a very balanced weapon. UT2004 LG was superior in terms of balance.

Comment

There probably will be both, but only one should stay as default

Comment

Lighting Gun was too slow, but Sniper Rifle from UT3 been slow too. So i would like to see sniper rifle like this in UT99

Comment

At the risk of getting burned alive by flamers, I think a comprimise of something like the battle rifle would be better. Although I do have a soft spot for LG from the old q3 days

Comment

The sniper rifle is too generic for a game with Unreal in the title, while the LG fits with the futuristic look of all other weapons, is slightly more original in general and is more satisfying to use. So unless it's going to be a modern military shooter, the sniper rifle has no place in the game.

Comment

In UT2K4 they're practically the same except for two features: the LG does 10 more damage and it fires lightning from the gun to where it was fired.

The former is easily adjustable while the latter gives the player who was a fired at the chance to see where the shot comes from and also allows the shooter to adjust their accuracy as they can see the shot. You can't do that with the sniper rifle as it doesn't tell you where the shooter is, unless you're already looking at them and see the puff of smoke. Because of the line of sight (for lack of a better term) I'd prefer the LG as I think it makes things slightly more balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by UnShame View Post
                  The sniper rifle is too generic for a game with Unreal in the title, while the LG fits with the futuristic look of all other weapons, is slightly more original in general and is more satisfying to use. So unless it's going to be a modern military shooter, the sniper rifle has no place in the game.
                  This. Regardless of firing speed and damage, the Lightning Gun fits the Unreal universe a lot better. I personally like its tracer better, and I find it funny how a corpse gets spasms after dying from it.

Comment

I think it should depend on Server rules and gameplay options that the player selects. So if you want to play on a server with LG/Sniper rifle you can choose which gun you want in.

Comment

i liked the shockrifle in ut3 very much as middle ranged sniper too.... but why do u guys want a standart sniper rifle da hell. just let random weapons spawn on map and what u want u can take it.....

Comment

ut99 sniper rifle was perfect. One of the most used weapons next to the original shock rifle in ut99 competition both dm tdm and assault.

Comment

UT99 sniper rifle. Had a lot of fun in low g sniper arena back in the day.

Comment

Agree with lightning gun fitting into the unreal universe, firing rate damage etc. could be tweaked for balance but the two weapons could otherwise act the same (maybe just with different skins)

Comment

Both can be available as per UT2004.
                              Balance on damage can be adjusted within the code to get the right damage and so on.

The long and short of it is that it can be down to the mapper to decide what type of combat and gameplay is had there. If the map designer wants a more hardcore fight with the skill of keeping control without being seen then they may choose the sniper. If the combat style is more in your face and look at me and brazen about location then they may choose the LG.

This does pose the question of using mutators and allow server admins to chose how the game is played on their server. Having a mutator to force LG spawns to be Sniper and vice versa would be doable. This would give 3 overall options.
                              Mappers/designers choice.
                              Server Admins LG choice.
                              Server Admins Sniper choice.

Both guns have their merits, play style and uses and should be included. This instalment of UT should have access to ALL the Unreal series arsenal of weapons. The bigger question should be how these weapons work rather than what should/should not be included.

Comment

Working...
                              X