Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lightning Gun versus Sniper Rifle

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    no matter which one, I think hitscan weapons should be nerfed in favor of other weapons. In UT99 and 2kx the hitscan weapons were overpowered.

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by No_7 View Post
      I would personally want to see lightning gun, but with actual lightning physics.
      Meaning it's hell of a powerful gun, but very unreliable.(lightning doesn't strike twice to same spot, if you know what I mean)

      having a railgun with lightning particle effects just doesn't seem right...

      I have nothing against sniper as such, but some players are just way too good with them. it generally breaks the balance between teams to point who has the sniper dominates the middleground.
      To that point, there's no reason not to include the sniper rifle, but there's plenty of reason for mappers not to place it!
      ...Maybe it could replace the redeemer spawn.

      Comment


        #33
        Both could exist in the game as slightly different variations of the same weapon. Heck, they could even exist in the same maps.

        The Sniper Rifle could appear as a semi-automatic rifle with a powerful scope. It fires quickly, but recoil moves the player's point of aim more and more the faster follow-up shots are made. It's a high-damage weapon that should be able to kill nearly any enemy with a few shots, and a single headshot should be fatal unless the victim is very well-armored. Getting long-range kills with the sniper rifle would require skill and patience due to the recoil, or a really good aim for headshots.

        The Sniper Rifle shouldn't feature advanced ballistics or anything like that, but a delay based on range between shot and impact would make the weapon REALLY stand out from the Lightning Gun. A little drop would be cool, too.

        Its advantages are

        + No tracers, and only a normal muzzle flash.
        + High damage.
        + Headshots are one-shot kills unless your target is very well armored.
        + Rapid fire makes it more useful in medium range combat than the Lightning Gun.
        + Has a laser sight. Translation: keeps a crosshair when not zoomed.

        Negatives

        - Recoil can be hard to deal with when firing rapidly.
        - Low ammunition capacity. If there's a reloading mechanic, it should only carry 10 rounds per magazine and be a little sluggish on the reload.
        - Body shots are powerful, but not necessarily overly deadly. Requires patience and focus on a single enemy.
        - Optical scope occludes vision, resulting in tunnel vision.
        - Loud. Opponents should be able to "hear" the sound from very long distances.
        - Projectile delay (and drop?)
        - Damage decreases with range.

        The Lightning Gun should be the bigger, badder brother of the Sniper Rifle. It should do much more damage with a single shot, but has a much greater delay between shots. It can be charged for extra damage. A fully-charged shot should be instant death no matter where it hits, unless the victim is really well armored.

        Pros

        + Very powerful. Two non-charged shots should kill low-armor opponents at full health.
        + Digital scope keeps vision very clear, with nothing blocking the sides, top, or bottom of the zoom.
        + No delay between shooting and hitting the target. Hitscan weapon.
        + Range does not bleed damage.
        + Kills light the target on fire (which is awesome).
        + No recoil. Aim is not disrupted by shooting.

        Cons

        - Lightning beam can be traced right back to the shooter.
        - Slow refire.
        - Very limited max ammo. No reloads, but max of 20 shots.
        - Hard to use in close quarters due to lack of a crosshair and slow firing speed.
        - Headshots are ALWAYS fatal, no matter how much armor or health the victim has.
        - Small chance that beam strikes slightly off-target.

        Thoughts? More weapons are generally a good thing. Choice is awesome.
        Last edited by mastermanaic; 05-09-2014, 03:31 PM.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by spighty
          Whoever prefers a sniper rifle over a lightning gun, please kill yourself.

          And remove the possibility to do headshots, its random and not useful for a competetive game.

          Someone has clearly never got a headshot with the Ripper

          Click image for larger version

Name:	541KdYl.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	328319
          Last edited by Munkey; 05-09-2014, 11:31 PM.

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by lazymrv View Post
            Why do you think its dumb? HS for competetive gaming is ********.
            Argument is, that without headshots there is no reward for being more accurate than someone else.
            Bodyshots are fairly easy to hit, unless you pump the movement speed to ridiculous scale.

            Comment


              #36
              I'd like to see whatever weapon they use to be a very VERY fast moving projectile. Modern internet connections/netcode/game hardware makes pure hitscan ridiculously over powered. Having a fast moving projectile would make it require a lot more skill and more skill is generally considered a good thing by arena shooter players. Also by making it non hitscan headshots are a non issue. They will enough more skill to land that people can't complain they are broken.

              This could be done with either a sniper rifle or lg although lets be honest LG looks cooler and has a more futuristic/unreal vibe to it.
              Community Unreal Tournament server provided by Gamevox. Anyone is welcome to join. If you run a UT community of any kind contact me directly for your own channels with administrative privileges. If you run a UT community website contact me for global admin.

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by lazymrv View Post
                Why do you think its dumb? HS for competetive gaming is ********. You see any HS in Quake?
                HS in ut are kind of iconic im so okay with it, but hes right its random and there is no need for HS in a competetive game.

                watch this

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEBzS3sT_0s
                But this isn't quake, this is UT. Carnage, blood and guts, hardcore shooting. Of course UT is a competitive game, but lets not make it dull just to be competitive. If the competitive scene takes off then go ahead and make a mutator against it.

                I mean c'mon, the "Headshot" announcement started with UT and has appeared in numerous other shooters and memes. It is a UT staple.

                I for one, look forward to a crotch shot mutator.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by HitscanGaem View Post
                  But this isn't quake, this is UT. Carnage, blood and guts, hardcore shooting. Of course UT is a competitive game, but lets not make it dull just to be competitive. If the competitive scene takes off then go ahead and make a mutator against it.

                  I mean c'mon, the "Headshot" announcement started with UT and has appeared in numerous other shooters and memes. It is a UT staple.

                  I for one, look forward to a crotch shot mutator.
                  I have to agree you have to have headshots in the new Unreal Tournament. It was one of those reason Face became so popular.
                  History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
                  UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
                  UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
                  UT Main Menu Design

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by SaunaCowboy View Post
                    I'd like to see whatever weapon they use to be a very VERY fast moving projectile. Modern internet connections/netcode/game hardware makes pure hitscan ridiculously over powered. Having a fast moving projectile would make it require a lot more skill and more skill is generally considered a good thing by arena shooter players. Also by making it non hitscan headshots are a non issue. They will enough more skill to land that people can't complain they are broken.

                    This could be done with either a sniper rifle or lg although lets be honest LG looks cooler and has a more futuristic/unreal vibe to it.
                    Sounds like a painkiller/quake world vibe, which alot of arena shooter players love.

                    The LG is preferable for me due to the more Sci Fi theme involved. Just make sure the weapon functions well and is fluid with the other weapons
                    Steam
                    irc.globalgamers.net #galaxy #unrealtournament #ut4pugs
                    UT Username - nvz
                    gg! Galaxy Gaming Community


                    SPECS
                    || Core i5-4670k @ 4.2 gHz || ASUS GTX 1070 4GB VRAM ||ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Random 54 inch TV || Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma || Keyboard - Microsoft Sindwinder X4 || Case - Cyberpower Titan X || 16 gb DDR3 RAM || Logitech g930 Wireless Surround sound Headset || Steelseries QCK heavy + Mouse pad ||

                    #PREALPHA

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by No_7 View Post
                      Argument is, that without headshots there is no reward for being more accurate than someone else.
                      Bodyshots are fairly easy to hit, unless you pump the movement speed to ridiculous scale.
                      Guys please, be honest with yourselves. The problem is that it's not really about the accuracy most of the time, rather than just having a little bit of luck. And this luck can be a very crucial turning point in a 1v1. If you guys can't relinquish headshots, you should at least agree to reduce the damage headshots make, cause even if you want to get rewarded for being more accurate, to double up the damage is just ridiculous. So if we look at a new competetive game and not another "Counter Strike in space" to appeal to new casual players, headshots should not have the power to descend a match into chaos.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally posted by spighty View Post
                        double up the damage is just ridiculous
                        there are no universal rules how much headshot multiplier has to be, seen some games settle with x1.3 dmg which is in my opinion is a good gamble, and it favors the player with better aim.

                        bodyshot competition comes down to reaction times, thus in the end server gets to decide who pulled the trigger first, or who got the last hit.

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by spighty View Post
                          Guys please, be honest with yourselves. The problem is that it's not really about the accuracy most of the time, rather than just having a little bit of luck. And this luck can be a very crucial turning point in a 1v1. If you guys can't relinquish headshots, you should at least agree to reduce the damage headshots make, cause even if you want to get rewarded for being more accurate, to double up the damage is just ridiculous. So if we look at a new competetive game and not another "Counter Strike in space" to appeal to new casual players, headshots should not have the power to descend a match into chaos.
                          They don't, and that argument is pedantic.

                          "Luck" is an element of any combat-based action game. To say otherwise is to be incredibly dishonest.

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by No_7 View Post
                            there are no universal rules how much headshot multiplier has to be
                            In ut2k4 its a double-up (70 to 140), which can be very annoying.


                            Originally posted by mastermanaic View Post
                            They don't, and that argument is pedantic.

                            "Luck" is an element of any combat-based action game. To say otherwise is to be incredibly dishonest.
                            Yeah, luck is definitely omnipresent. But I prefer to reduce the luckfactor, rather than giving it too much space in the game.
                            Last edited by spighty; 05-09-2014, 06:06 PM.

                            Comment


                              #44
                              UT without headshots is like a bar with no beer.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by spighty
                                Whoever prefers a sniper rifle over a lightning gun, please kill yourself.

                                And remove the possibility to do headshots, its random and not useful for a competetive game.
                                Posts like this are what makes the community look bad. I Understand YOU want it to be more quake like without headshots, but headshots are what MADE UT!

                                Either way I don't care if it's LG or sniper. Lightning gun is a better fit for a Sci Fi arena shooter, as long as it had good functionality and balance.
                                Steam
                                irc.globalgamers.net #galaxy #unrealtournament #ut4pugs
                                UT Username - nvz
                                gg! Galaxy Gaming Community


                                SPECS
                                || Core i5-4670k @ 4.2 gHz || ASUS GTX 1070 4GB VRAM ||ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Random 54 inch TV || Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma || Keyboard - Microsoft Sindwinder X4 || Case - Cyberpower Titan X || 16 gb DDR3 RAM || Logitech g930 Wireless Surround sound Headset || Steelseries QCK heavy + Mouse pad ||

                                #PREALPHA

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X