Lightning Gun versus Sniper Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    probably best idea why not both and leave it up to the mapper, make the lightning gun weaker with penalty's for long range stuff (facing worlds) to make it more balanced and keep the UT99 sniper in for more closed in maps.

but please remove the damned movement based headshot protection especially for players wearing a shield belt, its so unsatisfying getting into a close range scrap with someone with SB and you clearly land a head shot but they were moving so they still have belt power its so discouraging, that ruined a belt everytime in UT99

and then there is mutators

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How were 2kx head shots not satisfying? Flaming neck, actually somewhat challenging, lightning aesthetic... UT headshots were way too easy to be satisfying.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Biggest peeve right now with the sniper are the headshots, they just aren't and haven't been satisfying since UT1, there's a few reasons for this and i (hope) some of it is due to the game being in dev

Plus there are some ridiculous bonuses on head hitbox size if you're standing still ect, which is totally the most casual ........ i've ever seen in a run and gun game Oo

There's no reason whatsoever why we can't have a 2k4 style lightning gun and a decent sniper rifle, the reasons why the sniper and shock have been nerfed(nerfs which don't even work very well) past the point where they're fun to use need to be fixed, then we can have these guns back again

Gun placement is upto the map maker, things like placement and ammo effect which weapons are used plus we'll never have a decent mod like sniper arena again without a decent sniper, right now insta is ok... but like 99% of UT4 things could be better

Leave a comment:

• replied
    how about just leave it, it feels like UT99 and should keep going that way

I dunno what it is with everyone wanting to change the sniper rifle and put all this modern spin on it and penalty's, all its really supposed to do is 70 dmg for a body shot and totally wreck the ******* dominating the armor/shield belt just like it did back in UT99. its already hard enough to get head shots in a medium/close range scrap and without a head shot its usually 2 body shots against all kinds of spam, its bad enough one player has to be standing still or only moving in one direction to actually register the headshot now.

you can always spam back enforcer fire at a long range sniper, they wont have 100 health all the time so you have a counter weapon from spawn anyway.
    Last edited by SgtStabStabs; 01-22-2016, 11:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Pictures of players wielding the weapon with one hand in game, make me think it's wielded with one hand. Whereas the current model for the minigun is placeholder, the logic of the weapons fire modes is not. Though still subject to change, I highly doubt they are going to drop the "Stinger" theme. You can mount a grenade launcher to about anything, so not really sure what the point is there. The original point of that "grenade" was not an explosive attack, but a projected, ranged point from which to launch your shrapnel shot. Same basic fire mode with a range extension.

Flak Shrapnel is kinetic, yet no one is arguing that weapon is not Unreal.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by -AEnubis- View Post
    Uh, the minigun uses a fictional crystal as ammo, the shotgun uses metal shrapnel in it's shells, and the rocket launcher loads up 3 rounds in the chamber, and is wielded with 1 hand.

In that context how does the lightning gun not make sense again?
    I think you might have turned the argument around in a bit of an incorrect way. If old style kinetic damage weapons like the sniper rifle are really wrong/outdated for UT, then the other weapons based on the same outdated technology should be considered outdated as well. (I could argue in response to those that an old style weapon would fit just perfectly in an unreal setting)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The mini gun we have is the UT3 minigun, and it's likely going to be temporary. The Flak Cannon isn't exactly a shotgun; it's also a grenade launcher. What makes you think that the rocket launcher is held in one hand?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Uh, the minigun uses a fictional crystal as ammo, the shotgun uses metal shrapnel in it's shells, and the rocket launcher loads up 3 rounds in the chamber, and is wielded with 1 hand.

In that context how does the lightning gun not make sense again?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Gurkburken View Post
    Getting confused here.

Are minigun, rocket launcher and flak cannon "obsolete" as well? Should they be replaced with futuristic lazerrrz-versions too?

I vote sniper with smoke trail. Much much more powerful and cool
    Yep. Kind of weird to have people saying they don't fit when the whole arsenal is that way. The Sniper has the advantage of actually communicating what it's doing, whereas if someone asked me what a Lightning Gun does, I'd tell them it's some kind of close range arcing weapon that does extra damage to robots.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Cunni View Post
    LG but without splash damage.

LG shots are so spectacular compared to sniper shots. Spectacular will be important to promote the game.
    exactly, lg splash was bs, it was really minor tho, i have only gotten like handful of splash hits at max, mostly on rankin ramps, but the gun feels and plays ut sniper is a dinosaur in a game like ut ffs.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Getting confused here.

Are minigun, rocket launcher and flak cannon "obsolete" as well? Should they be replaced with futuristic lazerrrz-versions too?

I vote sniper with smoke trail. Much much more powerful and cool

Leave a comment:

• replied
    LG but without splash damage.

LG shots are so spectacular compared to sniper shots. Spectacular will be important to promote the game.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Still Lightning Gun. It essentially has the same functionality of the Sniper, but fits in with the other weapons much better.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That's ancient history. Apparently, you'd be surprised at the result.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X