Link: Delayed Lockdown (or lock on)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Link: Delayed Lockdown (or lock on)

How about the idea of a delay between secondary hitting the target and you have to hold the crosshair on them for a little bit before link beam becomes "lockdown" or "lockon"?
    It's barely changing the way you use link secondary, we already hold the beam on someone's face. What is changed is how the beam effects players instantly.

It is very straight forward. Lockdown and lock-on are controversial subjects that we've talked about removing or keeping. Some people will bring up link being too powerful on lockdown or lockon and ect. Others want to see it be stronger or some different function like slowdown. Think of how rocket launcher works when you point the crosshair at them until it enters homing mode. Now just imagine that while you fire link secondary. Link lockdown isn't instant and cheap, but it's rather 'earned' by keeping good aim.

If we moved to a delayed system we could change the lockdown into a more powerful version or something else. As an example here on a slowdown mechanic, the longer you train the beam on someone the slower they become. I'm not saying to add slowdown to it, but it's just one of the many ideas for changing link secondary into something different where the longer the beam is on someone, the stronger the effect.

This is the first idea you've had that I actually agree with.

Comment

Seems legit.

Comment

Would have to be relatively short lockdown delay for it to be worth it, I'd say 1½ sec or so maybe tops. Why? Because otherwise it won't provide much purpose since it's like "oh NICE finally locked him down YAY, 0.5 secs later, okay he's dead". :P

Why even short delay compared to no delay is a big deal? Because lockdown messes with your ability to dodge and escape the lockdown. A short delay still gives you exactly that possibility to escape with dodge or strafing, even 1 sec delay is a big deal in this regard.

I'd be for a short lockdown delay personally in the range of 1 - 1.5 secs or so perhaps. That will be a big difference already compared to currently and I think would balance out the "annoyance" of it quite well. Primary is still more OP though for close combat IMO.
        Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 12-01-2014, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Well yes, I did envision it to have a small delay much less extreme than Rocket's locking on after a few seconds. I would treat it that there's a moment of time before you can escape the beam starts effecting your movement, after that period of time passes then it's harder to shake off the beam but still not impossible.

Delayed beam functions could be extended into a bunch of different directions on link gun mechanics.

UT3s beam used to have light homing lock on, a delayed version could serve as a stronger lock thats harder to shake. Kind of like UT2k4's scorpion beams
          UT4s link beam has a sort of pulling effect, and I would think of this as a delayed secondary beam trait that kicks in instead of the main damage beam.
          The beam could become just plain stronger over time in an exponential factor after the delay kicks in. Or use my pulse beam idea from the old thread.
          Slowdown is also another option instead of lockdown, I know people hate slowing mechanics but I think as long as it's not instant then it should be okay for balance.

Comment

Link secondary should not lock on at all. It should be like it was in UT99, can you people not aim?

Comment

Lockdown sucks in every imaginable way. Burn it with fire.
              HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
              BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                Lockdown sucks in every imaginable way. Burn it with fire.
                Although I prefer lockdown to pulling, I hate both.

Comment

Originally posted by cafe View Post
                  Although I prefer lockdown to pulling, I hate both.
                  Ugh, yes. Pulling is WAY worse than lockdown, and considering my history with lockdown, that is saying something.
                  HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                  BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Working...
                  X