Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UC2: Llandri Conflict and Unreal 4. - Is it possible for weapons other than guns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UC2: Llandri Conflict and Unreal 4. - Is it possible for weapons other than guns?

I made my account to post this question:

I am incredibly impressed with what Epic is doing with UT4 making it completely open to development for everyone,... but I have no idea where to ask this:

Llandri Conflict is/was one of my favorite Unreal Tournament games. Springing a weapon on someone who gets a little too close to use guns was a great addition to the series and while I don't think the game did all that well, I feel that the weapons were a great concept and idea. The QTEs (with the coup de grace)'s to execute moves were a bit wonky, but that's okay, those could be removed. I also think they'd be interesting if we could have a choice between third and first person person perspectives when using said melee weapons depending on what type they are.

Epic: If you're reading this or do read this, could we bring back in Llandri Conflict style weapons in this game?

For those who aren't familiar with Llandri Conflict, here's IGN's three year old review:

Thanks for reading this everyone.

UC2 is a pretty good game, but the thing is that game was designed with the Xbox controls in mind. Bringing back the melee weapons, the third person camera, the movement would cause a massive headache trying to learn all the nuances on the PC. Also, I don't think we need to limit weapon choices to just one explosive and one energy weapon.

Some of the weapons were pretty good, the Rocket Launcher, Ripjack, Stinger and Bio Rifle comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by SX View Post
      Bringing back the melee weapons, the third person camera, the movement would cause a massive headache trying to learn all the nuances on the PC.
      And that's exactly why it'd be great to bring them back. It'd be a challenge for those who want to learn them, but the pay off would be massive.

Comment

I could get behind this but honestly I'd rather see an Unreal Championship 3 that was designed more for controllers and put on PC. It would also fill the console gap and let UT remain a PC-only game.
        HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
        BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

melee weapons don't have to be that complicated, instead of trying to hit a player moving around the camera, you could perform combos with left and right click, instead of a free camera, it would follow the player like in DMC or god of war and the combos would targeted at the player and not to whatever is front of you, and on top of that, it could have delayed combos, launchers, etc.

The trade here is that you need to get close to the other player and you could be easily avoided, but if you do get close enough and can land that first hit, the other player could be stunned for a moment and you could land more hits, however they couls scape by dodging or moving out of your way so it would no be a broken mechanics.

As for the weapons, there could be many types from swords and shields to spears, iron knuckles, staffs, knifes, whips, hammer, axes, etc, and they would add another layer to the game.

Fatalities could make a return but I don't know about those, they are cool and fit the style of an UT game, you know, kill kill kill kill, however those would need some protection since you could also be killed performing one.

For the controls:

Left Click LC = weak hit
          Right Click RC = strong hit
          Crouch + RC = launcher

In the air:

LC = weak hit
          RC = strong hit or dive hit

If you get launched into the air the camera could automaticly view down so you can shoot the other player or could be manual. If you launch someone into the air you could finish'em with a gun or by pressing jump you'll follow them in the air to continue a combo.

Some examples of combos could be LC, LC, LC or LC, delay, LC, RC or RC, LC, LC, launcher, etc

In any case the player who is being attacked should be able to get away from that situation.
          Adrenaline Mutator Concept / Multi Gametype Maps Concept /Character Creation Concept /Single Player Concept

Comment

Unreal Tournament = PC game
            Unreal Championship = console game

All sentiment regarding PC vs consoles aside, there is a good reason why games work differently on consoles than on PCs. And while the idea of melee weapons sure is interesting, IMHO it's questionable whether that is desirable for UT on PC.

If you want to introduce melee weapons into the game, you can't just place them in. You have to design the entire combat system around it.

Comment

that's true, it's more complicated, but not impossible.

like I said, the main problem with melee weapons is the camera, it's very hard to follow a player because they move and if they do you have to move the camera.

a simple sword can be difficult to handle if the camera don't work, so a smart camera that automaticly follow the other player it's helpful in this case

as for the combat system, I think the way I set it it's a good place to start, instead of spaming the same move you can chain a combo and since the camera is helping you it would be more easy to play with.

with the immpact hammer you have to manually get close the other player, however the melee weapons could do a first homming attack that could try to secure that first hit and chain it into a combo.

anyway, I think it could take a while to actually see melee weapons in the game since we are still working on the regular weapons, but it doesn't hurt to talk about it.

If someone could try to make a prototype with simple mechanics that would be great.
              Adrenaline Mutator Concept / Multi Gametype Maps Concept /Character Creation Concept /Single Player Concept

Comment

Melee weapons like UC 2 would be cool as a gametype. Putting the melee weapons in as part of the main system no. Adding in melee weapon opens a huge slew of problems which Unreal Championship 2 demonstrates quite well. Problems like, why try to cut them when you can shoot them from a distance, if they get close switch to something like flak etc. Unreal championship 2 made melee weapons relevant by allowing them to block and reflect shots, which made them grossly overpowered turning the game towards hit scan.

Comment

Working...
                X