Starting gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting gun

You have this thing in your hands on respawn and that's pretty much your only ranged weapon before you pick up something else. Or maybe you can pick two of this and use it as primary?
    In every Unreal game it's not the same weapon, so what actually would you like to see on it's place? Should it be dual wielded?
    Classic Enforcer/Automag (rapid fire alt)
    42.04%
    UT2k3/2k4 Assault rifle (grenade launcher alt)
    19.59%
    UT3 Enforcer (burst fire alt)
    12.24%
    Dispersion pistol (non-hitscan/charge alt)
    3.67%
    We need something new
    22.45%
    Last edited by K-2; 05-10-2014, 03:40 AM.

I enjoyed 2k3/2k4 assault rifle. It was a terrible weapon (as it should be, it's the starting weapon), but it had the potential to be scary with the grenade launcher, which could do 70 damage on a direct hit and turn the tides quickly when coming off of a fresh respawn in 1v1. It also wasn't entirely neglected in a full arsenal like most other starting weapons in arena shooters, as the grenade launcher could be used for extremely narrow hallways (eg, in a map such as Ironic).

Comment

Hmm, I don't know while the 2k3/24 AR was a terrible weapon by itself as Dragoomba pointed out the grenades were indeed pretty powerful. On the other hand the original enforcers where also not to be underestimated especially if worn akimbo as they'd put out some serious damage...

I can't decide.

Comment

Enforcers for me. Dual enforcers in UT99 were awesome.

Comment

Enforcer.
          Bullet damage should be 20 like in UT3, as 25 is a bit overpowered, especially with Dual Enforcers. Not sure about which alt-fire mode is better, but either would be fine.

Why not Assault Rifle - because the primary fire mode is like a weak Minigun and the alt-fire is like a weak Rocket Launcher's alt-fire, which makes the weapon not quite as distinct as the Enforcer.
          Last edited by prodigy84bg; 05-10-2014, 05:22 AM.

Comment

How about Enforcer v2 (which I totally made up now)? Combining Enforcer and Assault Rifle shouldn't be too hard I guess.

As the original Enforcer and Assault Rifle, normal fire shoots bullets with an interval of 0.5 second per bullet. It can be worn Akimbo and the interval is halved to 0.25 second per bullet. (hitscan - left click)
            Alternate fire consumes 5 bullets at once and shoots an explosive "bullet mass" as a direct trajectory. Firing interval is 1 or 1.25 second. When Akimbo, alternate fire can be used on a single Enforcer and the other one can be used normally. (projectile - while holding left click, pressing right click)
            2. Alternate fire increases firing rate but decreases accuracy. Rate increases to 0.4 (or 0.35 second). (very fast projectile - while holding left click, pressing and holding right click)

Enforcer v2 uses only bullets.
            Last edited by Tycerax; 10-23-2014, 09:09 PM.
            Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten & Dynamic Arenas & UT4 Storyline - Story Design & Gametype Designs: Volleyball - 3-Way CTF & Smartphone/Tablet Integration

Comment

Originally posted by Tycerax View Post
              How about Enforcer v2 (which I totally made up now)? Combining Enforcer and Assalut Rifle shouldn't be too hard I guess.

As the original Enforcer and Assault Rifle, normal fire shoots bullets with an interval of 0.5 second per bullet. It can be worn Akimbo and the interval is halved to 0.25 bullets per second. (hitscan - left click)
              Alternate fire consumes 5 bullets at once and shoots an explosive "bullet mass" as a direct trajectory. Firing interval is 1 or 1.25 second. When Akimbo, alternate fire can be used on a single Enforcer and the other one can be used normally. (projectile - right click)
              2. Alternate fire increases firing rate but decreases accuracy. Rate increases to 0.4 (or 0.35 second). (very fast projectile - while holding left click, pressing and holding right click)

Enforcer v2 uses only bullets.
              this is kinda how the ut2k3 version worked, it also allowed for holding 2 guns.
              - ZixXer - Environment artist - Trigger happy - UT fan -

Comment

Grenade launcher is actually pretty powerful to have just after respawn, but considering UT2k4 dynamics & map openness it remains pretty subsidiary and you rather use something else if you have that. I think that if it was implemented in original UT it would have been quite OP and spammy right at the start. As for two assault rifles - i'ts fun but not as effective as minigun because of low damage and wide spread.
                As for me, I'd rather like to have a pistol as basic weapon and I think that burst fire is OK. I love that gangsta-style altfire in Unreal and UT99, but quick pistol round at close range is quite usefull. It's good for finishing damaged opponent(for example after sniper shot) or dealing some safe extra damage at point-blank range. I think that enforcer is more reliable than assult rifle(it also would be a real pain to ride a hoverboard if everyone got assault ), you still can deal with a flak guy without so much disadvantage like in UT2k4, if you missed a grenade shot(you would rather pick shieldgun and retreat to grab some weapons). In UT3 two enforcers actually worth effectiveness of stinger primary but feels pretty differently and can't actually replace the stinger.
                So, I think that UT3 kind of enforcer is the way to go. Maybe making it a bit more accurate but with slower firerate woluld be good.

Comment

BioRifle for Slot 2!
                  Then add Ripper to Slot 3 and we're fine.
                  DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Designer at Candango Games. Check my Gamasutra Blog.

Comment

From the known starting weapons, I'd say UT enforcers. The UT2004 assault rifle was an embarrassment. The primary fire had such a low damage and spread, it was actually unwise to use it as you'd betray your position. And you couldn't aim the grenades for ****. It was a regular routine for me to press 'switchtobestweapon' when spawning, because for some reason it thought I wanted to spawn with that weapon in hand rather than the shieldgun. The UT3 enforcer wasn't that bad (for a starting weapon), but akimbo enforcers were more interesting than that 3-shot burst.

...but I voted for 'we need something new'. Of all the weapons, this one is the least staple of the series. I wouldn't mind if this was changed completely. On the contrary. In fact, I would love it if they combined the impact hammer with the enforcer (prim fire for charging the close combat weapon, alt fire for firing in the distance).
                    (@LuauDesign: that would also free up a weapon slot ).
                    My UT threads (latest: my take on defensive items, poll on the melee weapon's alt fire and My take on the storyline)

Comment

Originally posted by Taleweaver View Post
                      (@LuauDesign: that would also free up a weapon slot ).
                      Isn't the Ripper originaly a Slot sharer with the Mini/Stinger? :P Or did I make a wrong calc somewhere?
                      DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Comment

Enforcer, but I'd also like to see the Dispersion pistol back somehow. The cool thing about that weapon is that you can increase it's power over time with power-ups. I'd also like to see a Dispersion mutator.

http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Disp...Pistol_Powerup
                        --- ULTRON ---

Comment

Look at Q3/QL. The machine gun there is a very interesting weapon. Surely, this game has no other long range automatics, so this weapon serves a specific purpose. Having an adequate starting gun is something important for a competitive FPS.

Maybe combining the Enforcer and the machine gun (as a secondary fire) is an idea worth trying.
                          meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerzebub View Post
                            Look at Q3/QL. The machine gun there is a very interesting weapon. Surely, this game has no other long range automatics, so this weapon serves a specific purpose. Having an adequate starting gun is something important for a competitive FPS.

Maybe combining the Enforcer and the machine gun (as a secondary fire) is an idea worth trying.
                            The Shotgun-and-Laser combo in Xonotic is my favourite starting weapon set. It's very strong to start with a weapon that can be used to "rocket"-jump yourself and others thought, and only works if the other weapons and the movement are balanced around that.

Comment

Something not too powerful, not hitscan and not automatic would be perfect.

It would require skill, not be op and not be something you could spam.

Something like the plasma pistol in Halo (without the charge). A single shot projectile weapon that does a relatively ok amount of damage.

Comment

Working...
                              X