Shield Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shield Gun

Ut99 was and still is no doubt amazing but I do feel that UT2k4 made some improvements in areas, one of which was the Shield Gun. I'd like to suggest perhaps bringing the shield gun back from UT2k4. I think it gives more options for players than the impact hammer did as it adds defensive abilities as well as all the other features the impact hammer had like boost jumping, and attacking. It always felt nice knowing I could block certain attacks on top of the fast dodge mechanics. I know in ut3 the focus was trying to make the game more like ut99 modern, but Im hoping this time around features from ut2k4 arent overlooked. Ut2k4 did alot of things right to advance the fast gameplay, like more movement options, and the ability to actively defend yourself via Shieldgun that weren't present before. It could even be an alternative option like how the sniper rifle was for the lightning gun. Overall Im not sure what the general consensus is on the shield gun, but its just a personal suggestion. I still enjoy all 3 games and looking forward to the next.

It has pros and cons. ut2004 shield was perhaps too powerfull and sometimes very frustrating for agressive players.
    I'm ok with ut4 shield to promote agressive style.
    Cunni, 37 years old, 16 years of UT, 90% CTF, 10% Duel
    https://www.twitch.tv/cunni_ut
    http://plays.tv/u/Cunni
    Discord PUG Community

Comment

When jumping on a pad you have no defense. Would be nice to see the shield gun back instead of the impact hammer. I hope EPIC will implemente this gun.

Comment

If it is implented, I think it sould be mod-restricted. Imo, it ruined the fun in CTF games.

Comment

I miss the SG as a strong defensive weapon aswell. A mod-restricted implementation would be a nice tradeoff.

Comment

I'm generally a passive guy. However, there are three things in this world that simply bring my **** to a boil.

#1. Al Sharpton
            #2. Nintendo's Adventure Island
            #3. Shield Guns

If that gun was brought back, I would honestly just uninstall and never look back. I'm too old to be breaking keyboards.
            Last edited by de`pain; 07-30-2015, 05:57 PM.
            www.mouserpad.com

Comment

We promise, it was not overlooked.

Offensively it's capabilities were awesome. Unfortunately, there was nothing to stop players from mostly using it defensively, ad nausem.

Attached Files
              Originally posted by Mysterial
              An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

It was super handy in UT2k4 Assault when you had to sit on an objective for a bit. Maybe mod-restricted, like other have said, or just have it replace the impact hammer in specific game modes (Assualt/Onslaught).

Comment

I already think that the impact hammer shield is too much. It constantly ruins moments in duel.

The idea of a shield is fine but one that doesn't require skill to use like in 2k4 or one that has infinite charge like in ut4 is too abusable imo.
                  :|

Comment

I would be happy with a Shield Gun that blocks more damage than it did in 2k3/2k4, but the ammo on it doesn't recharge. It would still allow you to do jumps after you run out of ammo, but once the shield is gone, it's gone. That way it still allows both offensive and defensive play, but it can't be done indefinitely.

Maybe make ammo pickups for the shield that can be specific to 1v1 maps?

Comment

What does anyone think about the idea of a Shield Gun with a shield that only absorbs damage while moving forward.

Most of the complaints about it from UT2k4 seemed to center around being able to raise it up and retreat backwards with the shield facing your opponent.
                      Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

I don't personally like to limit useability in such ways since it's part of the tactics with that weapon. I'd much rather like Oreo said, let it have only one charge and when it runs out you cannot use it again until you're dead/the round is over. That I think would be the smartest way to go about it.

Comment

My suggestion to improve the current one is to spawn with 1 charge and pick up 1 charge with each ammo pack (of any weapon) but keep the max charges somewhere low like 2 or 3.

I have a video I can post that highlights an issue with the current hammer sheild but I'll have to wait a couple of days :/
                          :|

Comment

Agreed, there's many reasons why a single or a few charges is a better idea than the current mechanic. I'm too lazy to list reasons but I hope Epic reconsiders this.

Comment

Or maybe it should be on a charge mechanic more similar to the primary fire. It's not like you can use them both in tandem since one is already a charge. It would require to have premeditation, as well as limit use frequency.

Originally, when I started talking about another "parry" function, I was envisioning weapons more akin to UT in skill ceiling, but unfortunately, everything is lower now, so to be at all effective, it has to have this wall, with what to me is a massive range, giving you a large margin for error, and making these parry's very easy to use. It also feels quite spammable. Due to being able to put the range so far out, it also can be, in effect, better than the shield gun, which at times seemed to require more aim to prevent damage.
                              Originally posted by Mysterial
                              An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Working...
                              X