Replace Impact Hammer with "Gauntlet"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace Impact Hammer with "Gauntlet"?

The current functionality of the Impact Hammer is not really fitting. At least not across all game types.

I would like to suggest a new implementation with a primary fire much like the gauntlet from Quake 3 Arena. A rather quick, non-charged burst of melee damage. The secondary fire could have two(?) charges used for shielding yourself (just as it currently works, except not unlimited). The secondary fire should also be usable as a jump boost.

This way the "shielding moments" would be considerably lowered and one would have to carefully choose whether to spend ones charges on shield or jump boost to perhaps escape or reach a juicy item. The charges should be replenished when respawning.

Am I way off or would this be worth a try? Thoughts?
    Martin 'android' Larsson
    www.mlarsson.se

+1

I like the idea, since I never really was a fan of UT melee weapons. However, I would prefer to make secondary charges rechargeable after like, let's say 30 seconds. Also, if we would reduce rocket jump self-damage the melee weapon's secondary won't really be necessary for higher jumping.

Comment

Yes, the presence of a melee weapon in the game should really make one think twice before going into close combat. However, reducing rocket self-damage would only make it an even stronger weapon - not a good idea in my opinion.
      Martin 'android' Larsson
      www.mlarsson.se

Comment

the impact hammer is for me the most useless and poorly implemented part of the arsenal. even ut3s worked much better.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
        Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Why? With the impact hammer we can do a lot of tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
            the impact hammer is for me the most useless and poorly implemented part of the arsenal. even ut3s worked much better.
            Thus far I agree. I really hope we see some improvements to the hammer -- Mostly as a weapon, but possibly as a tool. Right now the charge up time is disproportionately long given the weapon's overall weaknesses.

I wouldn't be opposed to having different melee weapons for different game modes though. I feel like there is no getting around the logistics that anything you give to the melee weapon is going to disproportionately useful in a Duel game mode.
            Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by e1vp View Post
              Why? With the impact hammer we can do a lot of tricks.
              -UT3's primary mode was much more forgiving for jumps. I don't think I've done more than a small handful of jumps as I intended.
              -It doesn't seem to kill worth **** anymore. I have an extremely difficult time doing the whole "dodge into the opponent with fully charged hammer" thing and actually imparting significant damage.
              -Secondary blows. What is that little pulse supposed to do? Just give one brief block of energy based weapons every few seconds? That's it? Previously we could steal powerups with it. Maybe there are plans to improve it when vehicles come along as its EMP function seemed primarily designed for that, but if everything else is supposed to be balanced for DM first, the hammer should not be this gimped.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
              Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                -UT3's primary mode was much more forgiving for jumps. I don't think I've done more than a small handful of jumps as I intended.
                -It doesn't seem to kill worth **** anymore. I have an extremely difficult time doing the whole "dodge into the opponent with fully charged hammer" thing and actually imparting significant damage.
                -Secondary blows. What is that little pulse supposed to do? Just give one brief block of energy based weapons every few seconds? That's it? Previously we could steal powerups with it. Maybe there are plans to improve it when vehicles come along as its EMP function seemed primarily designed for that, but if everything else is supposed to be balanced for DM first, the hammer should not be this gimped.
                you can take a item with sec fire shield (Amp, 100 or 150), without getting spammed, while talking it. Its a very important gun in 1v1, tdm and dm so
                visit me on http://www.twitch.tv/lazym3

Comment

I think the general consensus is the Hammer needs some work, I dont think removing it at this stage is a good idea not until all other possibilities have been exhausted. My main beef with it is the audio, I never liked those sounds from UT3 but to have the worst sounds and functionality of any UT game just really doesnt make me want to use it. I really dont like the secondary mode either, its got potential but I dont like how its implemented.

I think the Ripper could certainly have a Gauntlet/Circular Saw type mode, I think that would work pretty decently.
                  Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Impact Hammer needs a serious overhaul.

What if it was replaced with a type of plasma gun, similar to the Shield Gun from 2k4, but more useful:
                    Primary Fire: A rapid-fire plasma cannon that needs to cool down after several shots. Never runs out of ammo, accuracy decreases after the first few shots. Relatively low damage, but at least you have a fighting chance against ranged weaponry.
                    Alt Fire: The classic Shield Gun primary fire. Charge it up, touch an enemy, destroy them with a wave of energy. You can use it to boost jump, and if you fire it at the right moment, you can shield yourself from enemy projectiles.

Maybe it would look something like one of these:
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Nick_D'Amato; 06-28-2015, 08:00 PM.
                    Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

Amazing work. I like the first from the left and second from the right the most.

Comment

Shield Function needs to be removed.

I don't care what melee we have, just as long as I'm able to "piston jump".
                        www.mouserpad.com

Comment

Originally posted by CzajnikGrozy View Post
                          Amazing work. I like the first from the left and second from the right the most.
                          Actually, I just found those concepts with a quick google search. I just wanted to illustrate to what I had in mind.
                          Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

the impact hammer is an important tool, and I would really like to see it in UT4

it's useful to get fast on places which are hard to reach or take a lot of time to get there

there are a lot of maps where you can use the hammer to get fast to an important item as the shield belt, otherwise you have to run a long way and someone other will grap it

in vCTF you can do "hammer dodge jump" with jump boots and cover a long distance to get out of the crossfire when you grapped the flag

I hardly use it as weapon in deathmatch, but I use it against vehicles (fast incoming mantas) in vCTF if I do not have an AVRIL.

The impact hammer is hard to master, you have to do a lot of practice to use it effectively. I still struggle with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X