Weapon Design Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Yes, I think a hitscan weapon is what I am talking about! I didn't know the name. How do I use the FireShotOverride? I am very new to Blueprint and don't totally understand, sorry if this is a dumb question. I found something called FireShot, do I use this? And if so, how?

Also, my end goal with this is just to make a weapon that will damage the player if they miss (so it would be a hitscan, I believe?)
    Last edited by jghall1; 07-08-2015, 08:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by jghall1 View Post
    I am new to the forums and not sure if this is the right place to ask.

I am trying to design a weapon that will perform different actions based on whether or not it hits another character (a pawn, I believe it's called?). I can't figure out how to do this in Blueprint as there doesn't appear to be any obvious if/then/else or detection methods. I assume this should be done in the projectile blueprint, though I am not sure. Thanks in advance for any help.
    If you're talking about a hitscan weapon, I think you can override FireShotOverride to run a raycast (trace) and check if it hits something.

If it's not a hitscan weapon, you could create 2 blueprints: Weapon (parented to its respective weapon parent; e.g. MyLinkGun parented to BP_LinkGun) and Projectile (e.g. MyProjectile parented to UTProj_LinkPlasma). Then you can modify MyProjectile like this:

OnHit===OtherActor>CastToUTCharacter>ApplyDamage(Target:Projectile'sInstigator)

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Weapon Design Question

Weapon Design Question

I am new to the forums and not sure if this is the right place to ask.

I am trying to design a weapon that will perform different actions based on whether or not it hits another character (a pawn, I believe it's called?). I can't figure out how to do this in Blueprint as there doesn't appear to be any obvious if/then/else or detection methods. I assume this should be done in the projectile blueprint, though I am not sure. Thanks in advance for any help.
Working...
X