Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Impact Hammer WIP

Hey guys,

Dropping a preview for the new Impact Hammer concept I've been working on. Still a couple of things to iron out, but this should give a fairly representative idea of this concept right now. Let me know what you think!

Atlas Impact Hammer

Atlas Impact Hammer (Primary Fire): Charges the hammer's piston. The piston delivers a devastating impact that can be used to deal catastrophic damage to enemies. When the owner targets the environment the resulting impact can be used to catapult himself to great heights.

Piston Vector Lock: While the piston is charged, the owner can press the alternate fire to lock in a target vector. When the piston discharges, force from the piston will be redirected in the locked target direction rather than directly forward.

Atlas Impact Hammer (Alternate Fire): Discharges the Atlas Impact Hammer's pneumatic pressure chambers. The sudden burst of pressure can be used to augment jumps, changing direction in mid air or cancelling potentially damaging falling velocity.
    Join Project: Open Tournament: Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Neat ideas here, I cant wait to try them out.
    PayBack

Comment

AWESOME work. I really like the alt-fire idea.
      Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

Very nice! I am not so sure about the Piston Vector Lock.. Could you perhaps use it to launch yourself in the vector you had locked on to? My favorite is the idea of stopping long falls!
        For maps and drawings visit: conradjustin.com

Comment

Comment

I have a feeling it might become a bit too versatail and it might lead to chaotic movement with the change in direction in midair with 2ndary fire, sometimes less is more. It also feels as if it's too forgiving mechanic. I'd rather see short timing based mechanic which therefore is more balanced:

Short burst of anti-thrust pressure wave that has to be timed right in a fall, too soon and it won't dampen the fall much, if any at all. Too late and you are obviously squashed into the ground. With the right timing the anti-thrust creates the right kind of pressure between the hammer and ground to dampen the fall.

Ignore the actual values, it's just convenient values picked to clarify the idea
            Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 03-29-2016, 11:30 AM.

Comment

UT is already crazy enough as it is, but this hammer would push the game over the edge into complete nonsense territory.... at least for the "regular" modes!

I could see something like this being fun as heck using this while avoiding 100's of monsters in a late-stage invasion wave. Or this could take movement trials to the next level into something everybody could get in to. Or considering how Assault plays, it might even be welcomed there too!!
              ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
              Frag video featuring Rookie
              Frag video featuring Phantaci
              Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatErik View Post
                UT is already crazy enough as it is, but this hammer would push the game over the edge into complete nonsense territory.... at least for the "regular" modes!

I could see something like this being fun as heck using this while avoiding 100's of monsters in a late-stage invasion wave. Or this could take movement trials to the next level into something everybody could get in to. Or considering how Assault plays, it might even be welcomed there too!!
                Agree with this, it's a good idea and probably fun to play around with and I'd gladly test this but my initial gut feeling says it will be too much for "regular" modes, like you said this probably would be fitting assault and invasion for example much better than DM, CTF and so on. I just don't see it working as a universal solution however I definitely think the falling dampening feature is a must have but it should be made not as forgiving. The current default epic mechanic already works kinda with my suggestion in my previous post, just the visual effect should be spiced up a little bit (in the way he did in this impact hammer version here) and give it a more fitting sound and the falling damage it damps should be very dependant on the timing and be flexible like comparing the combo radius damage infliction with distance to the center of explosion and not just a fixed dampening value.

Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 03-29-2016, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
                  Agree with this, it's a good idea and probably fun to play around with and I'd gladly test this but my initial gut feeling says it will be too much for "regular" modes, like you said this probably would be fitting assault and invasion for example much better than DM, CTF and so on. I just don't see it working as a universal solution however I definitely think the falling dampening feature is a must have but it should be made not as forgiving. The current default epic mechanic already works kinda with my suggestion in my previous post, just the visual effect should be spiced up a little bit (in the way he did in this impact hammer version here) and give it a more fitting sound and the falling damage it damps should be very dependant on the timing and be flexible like comparing the combo radius damage infliction with distance to the center of explosion and not just a fixed dampening value.
                  There's nothing special going on with regards to falling damage, that's all handled the same way as any other fall -- If you're going fast enough when you hit bottom, you take damage.

I actually did build some magic functionality like what you're suggesting (doing a more timing dependent impulse behavior). I'm not using it currently, but it's something that can easily be hooked up if desired. There are a few problems with that kind of approach. One simply being that it's not predictable given the behavior functionality in all cases. Another is that by the time you start falling fast enough to take any damage your margin for error on timing a hit against the ground becomes very slim (< 0.1 s). In offline testing I can handle that kind of margin generally, but does that hold up in online play? I really don't know. Similar idea with something like the Link climbing, I tend to think it's easy enough offline but people don't use this in practice online. Is that because of ping, because it's too hard, because people aren't used to doing it, because of map design that doesn't make it useful? There are so many factors that hitting a good middle ground is problematic.

Right now the approach I'm using is very much in the vein of KISS. We can experiment with more complexity if needed later down the road.
                  Join Project: Open Tournament: Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                    There's nothing special going on with regards to falling damage, that's all handled the same way as any other fall -- If you're going fast enough when you hit bottom, you take damage.

I actually did build some magic functionality like what you're suggesting (doing a more timing dependent impulse behavior). I'm not using it currently, but it's something that can easily be hooked up if desired. There are a few problems with that kind of approach. One simply being that it's not predictable given the behavior functionality in all cases. Another is that by the time you start falling fast enough to take any damage your margin for error on timing a hit against the ground becomes very slim (< 0.1 s). In offline testing I can handle that kind of margin generally, but does that hold up in online play? I really don't know. Similar idea with something like the Link climbing, I tend to think it's easy enough offline but people don't use this in practice online. Is that because of ping, because it's too hard, because people aren't used to doing it, because of map design that doesn't make it useful? There are so many factors that hitting a good middle ground is problematic.

Right now the approach I'm using is very much in the vein of KISS. We can experiment with more complexity if needed later down the road.
                    I don't think it would be a bad thing to have a very small margin of error since I don't even want players (experienced players that is) to be able to constantly hitting a perfect timing, a good natural variety if we use 50% as the maximum fall damage dampening factor would be a variety of say 25 ~ 45% in most cases. When we talk small margin of error, it makes me think of UT3's wall hammer jumps with jump boots. Needs extremely precise timing besides the hard to master key pattern (my mind always had trouble doing it constantly, it went better offline when you could just focus on that but in the heat of the battle it often resulted in a fail), yet some people who mastered the hammer jumps would do them with really good success ratio, even online. Since this is only a matter of pressing a button at the right time, it's not even near the skill the hammer jumps required in UT3 that evolved 4 rapid-key presses (well the combination is actually this: load hammer -> jump (next to a wall) -> double tap backwards -> release hammer -> jump) with the right timing in order to be able to do a jump at the end after releasing the hammer and keeping the momentum.

Facing Worlds is a good map example to use. Why the varying fall dmg would work well here is it would help to increase tension for both players as well as spectators.... will he or will he not survive that extra one shot when trying to cross the bridge due his recieved fall dmg when jumping down from the top of the tower, IMO this uncertainty for the enemy team would do great for this otherwise stale map.

Your concerns are very valid though I agree but I think if the sweetspot is hit, it would be a nice working mechanic though.
                    Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 03-29-2016, 06:27 PM.

Comment

When will this be available?
                      The new UT is coming along nicely...
                      Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

@Wail Is this available for use? I was thinking about it just then and thought I'd check this thread. Thanks.

"Its Hammer Time"
                        Last edited by richardboegli; 09-07-2016, 09:58 PM. Reason: "Its Hammer Time"

Comment

Ok so it was in Unreal Prime but was removed while [MENTION=3094]Wail[/MENTION] modifies the secondary.

Do you mind releasing the Atlas "as-is" separate from Unreal Prime until you can make your adjustments? Thanks.

Comment

Ok the fall breaking is super awesome and I want it. My only issue is that the dash is more or less a duplicate of current movement and I'm not sure how much value it adds. Otherwise neat! 

Comment

Working...
                            X