Shock Rifle Model:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shock Rifle Model:

So I've been working on a Shock Rifle model, along with Gooba's awesome work on the concept I think its coming along nicely. The High Poly model is nearing completion soon I will make a low poly if anyone would like to help get it in game I think that would be pretty sweet. Right now I don't have a UE4 license to play with so if anyone is interested in helping me get this up and running I'd be pretty stoked about that. I'm not sure if this really fits the nature of the challenge but I figure I'd put it out there.

Current image of the high poly:

And the work in progress thread to show the process to this point:
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...k-Rifle-Sketch
    Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
    Artist for Chaos: UT

....I think I'm in love. It takes the best parts from the UT99 and UT3 versions and puts them together into one awesome, powerful looking gun. Please keep working on this!

Comment

Thanks the idea was to have features from every version of the rifle factor into the the design. I think thanks to Gooba's design and the awesomeness of the past guns it says "shock rifle" in every aspect. I definitely plan to finish this even if it never makes it in game I still want to challenge myself.
      Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
      Artist for Chaos: UT

Comment

If it isn't used in the game, don't worry about it. I'll write a mutator to use it as a replacement weapon instead - we can work out what that means exactly some other time

No point wasting shiny assets!

Comment

Agreed. I would turn this into a Shock Lance or a Shock Cannon in a moment.
          Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
            Agreed. I would turn this into a Shock Lance or a Shock Cannon in a moment.
            Well, it would need two barrels to be a good Shock Lance.
            Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
            My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

I didn't comment on the new visual direction of the model yet, but I'm going to be honest (as only that kind of feedback is useful imo):
              Personally, I feel more reminded of a laser turret/sentinel right now than of the Shock Rifle, the long back might contribute to that feeling.

As a Shock Rifle model, I don't like it, as a turret model it would be great though.
              For a weapon model it seems a bit too gimmicky right now with too many separate plates, which makes it look fragile rather than something powerful that can handle shooting a plasma beam that can kill someone with two (at the most three) shots and a powerful shock ball which it can detonate into an explosion - and personally, the details distract me. I feel that a weapon model should look great, but it shouldn't drag the eye to the model during fights and I fear this would be the case here.
              Simplifying or connecting some parts of it surely won't do it any harm. The side and barrel for example look too cluttered compared to the back of the model, which then again can only be fixed by making the ammo part more detailled or making the rest simpler. The barrel could have less such segments, check Gooba's concept, yours contains much more and it also obscures the plasma flow. Making it more detailled on the back to create an overall standard on the other hand will end up in looking like the average UT3 models in terms of details and from what I got, this is what the devs would like to avoid. It's just that the many gaps and shapes obscure the overall shape of the weapon.
              Of course Epic will be the ones to decide though and maybe they will disagree with what I said.

Don't take offense in what I said though as the model has a great quality. It's just that I don't feel it's "right" for the Shock as it is right now. Apart from that it reminds me too much of other sci fi laser rifles which makes it less special (I feel reminded of Borderlands in particular with all those glowing gaps and tiny details in an uniform colour) and that's what caused it to lose its original DNA (for me).

Try to find something in between your original approach and Gooba's concept. Your first approach was not dynamic anough (that's true, Gooba pointed it out himself) but this weapon looks too cluttered and less special (for my likings, of course others may disagree).
              Take a look a the comparison Gooba made before you applied the changes and try to find something that keeps the DNA of the Shock Rifle while modernizing it in a similar (preferrably cleaner) fashion to what Gooba posted:

I hope I didn't demotivate you but rather motivate you to improve it, because I'd like you to continue to work on it.
              Last edited by Sly.; 06-12-2014, 08:56 AM.
              S l y .

Comment

I like blue (or a more blue-dominated color variant) for the Shock Rifle energy.

Comment

could you do an orange one for instagib as well <34
                  "History is written by the victors"

Comment

Originally posted by histortion View Post
                    could you do an orange one for instagib as well <34
                    He indeed did this but with team colors for IG

Originally posted by thatscrawnyki View Post
                    Not really an update just testing some materials, also team colors:

The Material setup I have in my head would allow for a lot of different features including being able to alter the color/wear and tear/energy color etc. I think that could be a nice feature to have. If not actually in the game then as a means of rapid prototyping for color variation etc.
                    History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
                    UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
                    UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
                    UT Main Menu Design

Comment

The cylinders on the side look odd and out of place and the gun looks too boxy and bulgy in the middle and back end. I think the ribs of the barrel should be removed or greatly reduced in number as right now they obstruct the glow too much.

Also the scope is out of place maybe, the gun looks like a candidate for the sniper.

Looks to be coming along well though, maybe it can be split into two new designs, one for sniper and one for shock.

Really I think needs to look sharper, more slick.
                      Last edited by Unreal Gladiator; 06-15-2014, 01:37 AM.

Comment

I'm beginning to think that this might make for a better lightning gun, than a shock rifle?

Comment

Of all the proposed models of Shoch Rifles is the most successful and I love. I would like to see this model in the next part of the Unreal Tournament. Maybe you can do the trunk a little wider and then everything will be perfect

Comment

+1
                            i like it also

best regards
                            Blacky

Comment

Maybe that's too metal-ish.
                              You should uncover a bit the barrel or the ammo on the left hand-side imo.
                              Yup, proudly writing in European B2-class English.
                              All grammar mistakes are under copyright protection from my english teacher. Thank you for her.

Comment

Working...
                              X