Bio Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Bio Rifle

After watching the twitchcast yesterday some interest was expressed about the Bio-Rifle. So I thought I'd start it up! A rough design sketch and some art and expand from there. All are welcome to provide input. If the people with some expertise want to contribute that would be great! If not I'll progress along with what I can until someone wants to jump in to help - programmers and FX artists in particular.

Basic design

//sourced from the Liandri Archives: http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Bio_Rifle I'll list UT3 Stats as it is most current.

The GES BioRifle processes Tarydium from its stable crystalline form into a reactive mutagenic sludge. It can rapidly disperse these toxins for wide-area coverage, or fire a virulent payload of variable, but usually lethal, capacity. In layman's terms, this means the BioRifle can pepper an area with small globs of biosludge, or launch one noxious glob at the target. The BioRifle's ability to carpet an area with a toxic minefield makes it a notoriously effective defensive weapon.

Primary Fire
    Shoots glowing globs of Tarydium sludge.
    Secondary Fire
    Loads up to 10 units of sludge, holding the large glob in front of the gun for everyone to see. When the glob is shot against a wall, some smaller globs splash away from it. If, however, the large glob hits a player, it will stick to him or her continuously apply damage until either the glob is used up or the player dies. In the latter case, the remaining glob explodes, causing additional damage to other nearby players.

Primary Stats:
    Type: Projectile
    Damage: 21
    (vs vehicles: 16)
    Fire rate: 3.1/s

Secondary Stats:
    Damage: 21-210 (Ammo charge of 1-10 units)
    (vs vehicles: 16-168)
    Charge rate: 3.1/s

Ammunition:
    Weapon pickup: 25
    Ammo pickup: 20
    Weapon Locker: 50
    Maximum: 50

//End citation from Liandri archives.

Ammunition Unit - 1 "glob"

Primary Fire: When User presses primary fire a single particle is emitted from the Bio Rifle. With the rate of apx. 3 Particles per second. This particle will travel at X velocity and be affected by gravity. (Will need to be tweaked to feel right)

Properties of Particles: These particles are known as Metaballs and act basically like "Blobby Particles". The emitted particle has a radius of geometry. When this radius intersects with other particles radius the geometry merges creating a unified blob of geometry.

Damage from Primary Fire:
    - Direct contact:
    A single particle if fired directly onto an opponent will "stick" to the opponent and cause 21 points of burn damage over 3.1 seconds.
    Multiple direct contacts will add to the effect. Ex: 3 particles stuck to the opponent will cause a total of 63 points of burn damage with the duration ending 3.1 seconds after the last particle made contact.

- Indirect contact (Globs stuck to surfaces in the world):
    A single particle will lay stuck to any surface in the world - If a players hitbox comes in contact with the glob it causes burn damage of 7 points of damage per second. After 3.1 seconds the glob will explode and cause 21 points of area damage
    Multiple globs will form together creating a larger pool of globs. This will increase the Damage per second and increase the damage of the area explosion. Ex: A larger 5 particle blob will cause 35 points of burn damage per second and a 105 explosion damage.

Damage from Secondary Fire:
    A charge glob of X units (1-10) will be fired from the weapon. It's behavior is the same as the single particle globs. But only ever interacts in the world as a combined glob (cannot be split).
    Assuming the max charge of a 10 unit glob is fired -
    Direct contact will cause 210 points of burn damage over 3.1 seconds
    Indirect contact will cause 70 Points of burn damage if player is stepping in glob - and after 3.1 seconds the glob will explode for 210 damage. (Radius of effect as yet undetermined)

That's what I've got so far in the design sketch. Some interesting things we might try is if two teammates could combine globs for massive damage? And I thought also of playing with the sticky properties of the blobs - you could stick a glob on a cieling - then over time it would unstick and fall to explode on the ground below... Hope this is helpful to get people started thinking about this

Assignment checklist (Just guessing):
    Particle Fx :
    Need an emitter to attach to a bone in the gun. This will emit 1 particle per second apx. The particle will have the blobby properties described above.
    A second emitter that will fire a 1-10 merged blob as described above.
    An explosive effect - energy release of the glob. Maybe a splatter effect - might be cool.
    Shader for Particle : A cost effective shader for the green goo. Something with a possible fresnel glow and some refraction might be nice. Some oily movement and reflection over the surface if possible.
    Weapon asset: A stand in port from previous UT is fine for now - but a new one will need to be made. Probably with attach bones for handles and particles. See below for some of my progress on that.
    Blueprint: A blueprint sketch for the gun behavior - a blueprint for the ammo counter etc. I have the least experience with this but am slowly figuring it out.
    C++ code for gun behavior and tying into the ammo counter, ui etc. - This will probably need someone other than me to jump in

Progress on art:

Thumbnails

Rough in of thumbnail C1

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by TeriyakiStyle; 06-13-2014, 01:42 AM.

Hasbro should hire you and turn each of these concepts into a Super Soaker

Comment

Like I said in your other thread, the front-opening of the bio rifle should be big in my opinion. The UT3 interation seems wrong to me. A good starting point to get inspired is UT99 or 2kx.

@TimEh, had the same thought

Comment

I imagine it as being pressurized liquid somehow. It would expand when exposed to air - there's two nozzles and pressure chambers for each fire mode. As you can read in the design the particle is emitted and the geo surrounding it could possibly expand over time as the energy builds and then explodes.

It's a gun that shoots liquid so yeah it's likely to share some aesthetics with water guns.

Comment

Originally posted by TeriyakiStyle View Post

Secondary Stats:
          Damage: 21-210 (Ammo charge of 1-10 units)
          (vs vehicles: 16-168)
          Charge rate: 3.1/s

Progress on art:

Thumbnails

Rough in of thumbnail C1

Thanks for looking!
          At the top of the gun, I think I would like to see the charge there. Divide the line that you see on top of the gun to 10 units. Just a suggestion.
          History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
          UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
          UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
          UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Very impressive work, honestly very interested to see more work like this for other weapons.
            [Concept] Impact Hammer: Alternative Fire
            [Concept] Game Mode: Infiltration

Comment

Originally posted by TimEh View Post
              Hasbro should hire you and turn each of these concepts into a Super Soaker
              They do look like super soakers! The barrels are a bit small to shoot out the size of globs that I'm used to, but they'd make decent flamethrowers.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't think I'll have time in the next few weeks to work on a C++ prototype in UE4 as I'm overcommited on other projects, but I do want to bring up a few ideas for the BioRifle. I've prototyped these ideas in UT2004 several years ago (PM if you want me to put it up somewhere) and I think they have some merit, but obviously any implementation in the current engine is going to have to work with the design goals and implementation of the new game.

Idea 1:

Bio-Gas Fire:

Activation: Holding secondary fire + Holding primary fire.
                Description: Releases the bio-reactive tarydium sludge in a finely-particulated mist form. The bio-gas is initially harmless but lingers for several seconds and combatants who remain within the cloud are subject to taking increasing damage over time. Bio gas is particularly effective against stationary vehicles, as the gas penetrates the vehicle's armor to directly damage any vehicle occupants.

Comments: Essentially a flamethrower concept, the idea here is to provide AOE denial with a cloud that lingers for 3-5 seconds in an area. People who immediately pass through the cloud might take no damage, but staying within the area of effect would cause the person to begin taking damage over time. One of the challenges of this mode is distinguishing it from the Link Secondary, but the AOE nature of the effect combined with the delayed damage onset / avoidability convinces me this has a niche it can fill. Particularly in vehicular gamemodes, the real unique feature this adds is the possibility to gas out a Goliath / Paladin driver, either forcing them to give up an advantageous position by driving out of the gas cloud, or killing them where they sit and possibily giving you a nearly-undamaged vehicle to hijack.

Idea 2:

Biocatapult mode:

Activation*: Hover the crosshair over a single target for X seconds. (There might be some better ideas for activation. I've toyed with the idea of Fire + Wheeldown to activate, and Fire + Wheelup to deactivate, or some variant. Not sure ultimately.)
                Description: Pressurizes the containment chamber of the tarydium sludge to expel it from the biorifle at enhanced speeds.

Comments: Pretty simple. The Bio Rifle is an extremely short range weapon, and to be viable in larger scale map such as we see in VCTF or ONS/WAR gametypes, it needs something a little extra. The main purpose here is to make the BioRifle more viable in these longer range engagements by increasing the velocity of the projectiles. Might be worth considering some tweaks such as reducing the fire-rate on the weapon when it's in this mode. I'm also partial to the idea that the secondary-fire, when used in this mode, will burst at the apex of its arc and rain down individual bioglobs in an area.

* I just remembered that my prototype for this in UT2004 eliminated the largely-redundant single-shot primary fire of the BioRifle. Moving the charge-up to the primary fire does not lose any functionality since the player can always tap primary fire to shoot a single blob. Then the gas-mode functionality was activated via alt-fire directly, and the longer range firing mode could be toggled by using AltFire + Fire tap.
                Last edited by Wail; 06-13-2014, 02:06 AM.
                Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Esula View Post
                  Very impressive work, honestly very interested to see more work like this for other weapons.
                  Indeed. Great work, TeriyakiStyle.

Comment

I have an idea for the secondary fire.
                    The player who shoots with the secondary fire should to be able to jump on the big bubble like a jump pad or rocket jump and if he dodge on the big bubble he can boosted like a double jump. For that he loose 10% or 20% of health.

Hope you understand my english is very bad.

Comment

Really like the concept art in here TeriyakiStyle! The design you focused on looks the best out of the proposed designs and you've got a very nice futuristic look happening with the weapon. Would love to see it modelled!

As for fire modes, my thoughts:
                      Primary - shoot out singular larger globs that do more damage but explode and dissipate on contact. Can be shot in quickish succession.
                      Secondary - shoots out a faster stream of smaller globs where each do much less damage than the primary globs, but they can cover a wider area due to the number of them. Could be used to create 'puddles' that damage players who walk on them.
                      Unreal Old Friends
                      My previous Unreal work

Comment

SDAHeatWave - Thanks nice suggestion. I'm revising the paintover a bit and addressing a few things over the weekend.
                        Esula - Thanks much
                        Wail - These are some cool ideas - Occupying a space with corrosive gas and then doing a sort of range charging to fire the globs would be very handy in certain game modes. Maybe they'll have some weapon personalization stuff built in where people can choose tweaks like that.
                        ramses - Thanks! Just a first pass - gotta get started somehow
                        belze - that would be a lot of fun - not sure how it would impact balance but I like the idea. You're english seems ok to me
                        Lord_Porksword - Thanks! We'll have to try some of those balancing ideas out.

Ok thanks to some advice given from Ambershee it turns out there's no built in solution for metaballs in the engine yet. There's some great efforts being made though in this thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...oof-of-Concept so it might become possible eventually. Until then I'll have to rethink that aspect of it. I still think globs can chain together based on proximity and increase their damage stats it just wont look as nice

Comment

I really like the idea of a spherical container for the goo that you have in some of the D concepts.
                          It would really give the Biorifle a distinct look and siluette.

Comment

Originally posted by Wowbagger View Post
                            I really like the idea of a spherical container for the goo that you have in some of the D concepts.
                            It would really give the Biorifle a distinct look and siluette.
                            Agreed. I like the spherical bio container variants, although in my imagination having a BioRifle with a centrifuge and vials full of Bio-goo that spins around while charging up would be pretty sweet also.
                            Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

I'd like to see the secondary fire potentially weakened if possible. 210 damage on a direct hit is just too much in my opinion. That allows it to melt through a player with a fresh shield belt, something I didn't enjoy in UT3.

Other than that, it's looking good right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X